ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 24, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #6,616 of 16,326
That was the reason I reported back earlier in the day, that is incompatible issue with 3rd party apps and "balanced connection". Most of 3rd party app will randomly throw up that static, or cutting out sound on the right side, sometimes the left (mostly the right).

I think this is the Android Os core complex coding system, together with Onkyo unique coding for "dual DAC" algorithm, and plus the 3rd party app incompatible to these above ?

It will not bother you if you only use SE, but with Balanced connection, you would be much safer with Onkyo Own Playback software.

I know my review was short, but did anybody take it seriously lol....

http://www.head-fi.org/products/onkyo-hi-res-sound-source-corresponding-digital-audio-player-32gb-dp-x1/reviews/15089

**hopefully** Onkyo will fix this problem, because Android is a very popular OS, they need to release their Dual DAC source codes toward 3rd party app developers or so...

Thanks!  Hopefully they will fix this issue.  Another note - I am playing a 44.1kHz flac file, why is their stock player showing flac 44.1kHz/PCM 48kHz?  I have upsampling turned off. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #6,618 of 16,326
I believe 48khz PCM is the reading of the clocking mechanism by the DAC. It is just a display, and I find it strange for them to do so

I really hope they aren't resampling.  I just downloaded and played a 24bit 88.2khz file.  Their stock player shows Flac 88.2kHz / PCM 96kHz.  UAPP shows Android: 88200Hz File: 88200Hz 24bit.  I hope Onkyo is monitoring this thread and making a list of bugs to fix.  If they are going to implement upsampling on their dap then they should also include x2 and x4 upsampling and not just 96, 192kHz.  Most music is 44.1Khz and it the best upsampling is peformed at 88.2Khz, 176.4kHz, etc..

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #6,619 of 16,326
  Awesome, glad to see we won you over! I loved the DP-X1 and have no regrets for the time I spent with it. Had I not gone Bluetooth I would have it still for sure. So what headphones/earphones are you planning to use with it?

Yep, finally caved. I was actually looking into getting a new pair of headphones, looking at a few places that do custom balanced cables for the Balanced 2.5mm output, when I saw the deal for the DAP. At the moment, I have the SE425's for music and the SRH940's I bought a few years ago mainly for mixing. It's nice to see all the Dap-Headphone pairings here - before I decide to upgrade to something else.

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #6,620 of 16,326
I really hope they aren't resampling.  I just downloaded and played a 24bit 88.2khz file.  Their stock player shows Flac 88.2kHz / PCM 96kHz.  UAPP shows Android: 88200Hz File: 88200Hz 24bit.  I hope Onkyo is monitoring this thread and making a list of bugs to fix.  If they are going to implement upsampling on their dap then they should also include x2 and x4 upsampling and not just 96, 192kHz.  Most music is 44.1Khz and it the best upsampling is peformed at 88.2Khz, 176.4kHz, etc..

It is not up-sampling....like I said, it is the jitter clocks mechanism in the DAC...clocking goes like 44.1 or 88.2 or 176.4 or 48 or 96 or 192. There is nothing wrong with Onkyo using higher clock rate on a lower threshold files.

I get why people will be confused though, that was why I thought it was odd for Onkyo to display that

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #6,621 of 16,326
It is not up-sampling....like I said, it is the jitter clocks mechanism in the DAC...clocking goes like 44.1 or 88.2 or 176.4 or 48 or 96 or 192. There is nothing wrong with Onkyo using higher clock rate on a lower threshold files.

I get why people will be confused though, that was why I thought it was odd for Onkyo to display that

Yeah I am confused.  So using the stock Onkyo app, is the dap using a 48khz clock for a 44.1khz file?

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #6,623 of 16,326
Yep, finally caved. I was actually looking into getting a new pair of headphones, looking at a few places that do custom balanced cables for the Balanced 2.5mm output, when I saw the deal for the DAP. At the moment, I have the SE425's for music and the SRH940's I bought a few years ago mainly for mixing. It's nice to see all the Dap-Headphone pairings here - before I decide to upgrade to something else.

Here I got Shure SE535 with custom made 2.5 mm TRRS balanced cable for Onkyo DP-X1 balanced output:

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #6,624 of 16,326
Hi all, been sittin back just reading alot here to get all my homework done before i buy mine when they go on sale here in the usa. I was wondering if i can offer a suggestion or an alternative work around to keep the 2.5 plug intact as long as possible? This comes from users of ak daps and its 2.5 jack issues! If you can take the majority of weight or torque off the plug you can safely prolong or eliminate looseness issues! How is it done? Well the first idea that comes to mind cannot be done as the onkyo has that auto selection feature on its jacks so another way is to use a "bigger" or "wider" 2.5 plug, there are two that come to mind and ive used both on my ak daps with excellent results! One plug is made by nakamura and its model number is np-254 here is a picture of it: and the other is very similar made by eidolic, norne audio carries them here is a pic of those:
Now i completely understand the whole never should have been released like this and why should i finish thier work and i completely agree! But some guys, as its been mentioned dont have the luxury of warranty work or the time to invest sending back and forth around the world, for them this is just another idea of something to help if putty and glue is not your cup of tea!

Please dont shoot the messenger, im just making an observation and another possible band aide!

I was googling the 2.5mm plug and seems adorama has ak branded one, just back ordered. Maybe it will be a better fit? http://www.adorama.com/AK25MMPLUG.html

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #6,625 of 16,326
Here I got Shure SE535 with custom made 2.5 mm TRRS balanced cable for Onkyo DP-X1 balanced output:

Nice, that's the next set of cables I'm going to make once I finish my Ether C projects. Oh, and get the DP-X1. For now, I'm OK with the stock cables with my SE535 going to my DX-90. Well, except for the length, I'd like them to be shorter, like maybe 2.5 to 3 feet.

Mar 25, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #6,630 of 16,326
  The Dignis for DP-X1 is up for grab www.dignisdesign.com. Don't use Safari to order =).

Seem like the price has increased though to $65 before shipment.

Really fancy that red one; it wasn't available when I ordered mine.

The price increase rules it out though, it was already expensive 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back