ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #6,587 of 16,328
Guys! Why don't you fix the Socket Gaps with either Acrylic, or Suguru ? Why let the inevitable happen ? Once it happened, the only way is to have Opened up the unit and redone the soldering....don't let it happen !

Of course it was design flaws, you would be lucky and skip out a couple times....but it will happen. You just can not go on with it being this way. It had been a few months and I already see more 2.5 sockets damages
mad.gif

Because I don't want to mess with my unit. If I do something wrong and mess up the 2.5 socket I think it may cause warranty issue if the company see an evidence of 'modded' 2.5 socket when I send unit back to Japan.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #6,589 of 16,328
Make sure you use a very light cable with that 2.5mm port. My Mogami wire is like weightless and never seem to have an issue. Instead of acrylic or worst patching, I would use a plastic ring to fill that gap, or perhaps a small piece of heat shrink. At least that's easily reversible. Working on it, will let you know.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #6,590 of 16,328
Guys! Why don't you fix the Socket Gaps with either Acrylic, or Suguru ? Why let the inevitable happen ? Once it happened, the only way is to have Opened up the unit and redone the soldering....don't let it happen !

Of course it was design flaws, you would be lucky and skip out a couple times....but it will happen. You just can not go on with it being this way. It had been a few months and I already see more 2.5 sockets damages :mad:

Why should I pay USD600 for a portable music player and then have to finish the manufacturing process with a DIY patch-up when it's still new?
Alternatively, Onkyo could make it properly in the first place.
Yes, that's what warranties are for, although(not everyone on this forum has a warranty and they deserve a music player that arrives in good working order and stays that way, with normal use, for years.

Listening to it now, in balanced mode as usual, and still sounding fab. Just make it properly, Onkyo!

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #6,591 of 16,328
Why should I pay USD600 for a portable music player and then have to finish the manufacturing process with a DIY patch-up when it's still new?

Definitely this.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #6,592 of 16,328
Yes, that's what warranties are for, although(not everyone on this forum has a warranty and they deserve a music player that arrives in good working order and stays that way, with normal use, for years.

Listening to it now, in balanced mode as usual, and still sounding fab. Just make it properly, Onkyo!

No, I agreed :D totally, but I am just surprised that people who purchased the unit , ignore the remedies, and moves on to damage the socket. You can spend a couple minutes and save it yourself, or ended up damaging it and send it back and forth to Japan for repairs in 2 months ? Mean while, the unit is not released to the Us yet ?

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #6,593 of 16,328
I have no issues with the balance out but I've noticed that the 3.5 out does have some play on it, can you please post a link on what acrylic I can use to fix this?, thanks in advance

Acrylic needs practice before aplication, you can practice it as it comes plenty in a kit. The advantage is that it cure very fast in less than an hour and ready for use.

The other solution is to use Suguru, the simplest and easiest to apply, it takes 24 hours cure time.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kiss-Complete-Salon-Acrylic-Kit-Salon-Results/10324104

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #6,594 of 16,328

Of course it was design flaws, you would be lucky and skip out a couple times....but it will happen. You just can not go on with it being this way. It had been a few months and I already see more 2.5 sockets damages
mad.gif

How about posting a tutorial on this process?

Mar 23, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #6,595 of 16,328
How about posting a tutorial on this process?

I no longer have the player :p. Beside, I need a raw unfixed device before posting a tutorial, which will likely not happen. There is an old video

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/3885#post_12267120

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #6,597 of 16,328
  I had a chance to audition the DP-X1 at last weekend's CanJam SoCal. The environment was a bit loud and the only balanced headphones to listen with were the Pioneers (I believe SE-MHR5) so I won't comment too extensively on the sound, except to say I would describe it as just north of neutral, great micro detail and instrument separation running in balanced mode. I preferred standard balanced to ACG even with volume matching but perhaps in a less noisy environment I would feel differently. The interface took a bit of getting used to even though it's android based (some settings like lock range, digital filter selection seemed to be accessible within the player application only). I noted the occasional track stutter when changing settings, but would probably use it in standalone mode most of the time when settling in for longer listening sessions so probably not a major issue. I also was surprised that only sample frequency but not bitrate were displayed on the main track information screen, seemed like an omission. Viewing angles on the screen were not as good as I hoped particularly from the sides, but display quality was excellent straight on. Overall, the display was clear, bright and quite impressive as below:

The music player app on the pic does not look like the default DP X1 player. Is this a different app? 

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #6,599 of 16,328
This player was on the CanJam unit I demo'd, so unfortunately I don't have access to it any longer to check which player was in use. Thank you for pointing out that stock player may look different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back