ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 12, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #3,137 of 16,326
How do you guys reckon the dp-x1 compares value-wise to ak100ii for $460 over at massdrop? That's a pretty competitive price.

The drop ended now, was limited to 75 units that flew off the shelves, but there's already a lot of requests for another go.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #3,138 of 16,326
DP X1 can effortlessly drive any IEMs and low impedance, non-planar headphones, but for anyone who wants to use DP X1 to drive full sized planar magnetic headphones, I have to say that DP X1 is probably not enough.

It can drive LCD-X to a high volume, but the low notes (bass) are not really pronounced. It really lacks the punch.

I bought it to use with my TG334 and really happy with it.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #3,139 of 16,326
So for those of you who have the mojo what sounds better. I know that would be ultimately up to me but...

I think it's not about which is better but what are your preference, you could probably check back a few pages behind to see some comparisons. I myself dislike the Mojo and feels that it is the polar opposite of DP-X1 but funny enough, when you use the USB interface of DP-X1 to Mojo, it creates a very interesting combination.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3,140 of 16,326
  Thanks All for your comments. My main usage for dp-x1 will be on a train and in the office, so closed back design is a must. I'm planning auditioning some headphones once I get my hands on onkyo but due to time constraints it will be difficult. I've chosen beyerdynamics purely based on reviews and what I've read about them in forums, if not T1 than maybe T 5 p second gen, it looks promising with low impedance and detachable cables.

Consider the PM3. Awesome sound signature, balanced ready at the cup, extremely comfortable, well made, great looking and easy to drive.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #3,141 of 16,326
  DP X1 can effortlessly drive any IEMs and low impedance, non-planar headphones, but for anyone who wants to use DP X1 to drive full sized planar magnetic headphones, I have to say that DP X1 is probably not enough.

It can drive LCD-X to a high volume, but the low notes (bass) are not really pronounced. It really lacks the punch.

I bought it to use with my TG334 and really happy with it.

It will drive the hell out of the PM3 for sure. My Blackberry Leap does a commendable job driving the PM3s. I don't think anybody should expect a DAP, at least not the current crop, to really drive a full sized, less efficient planar to full capability. It might be adequate to good, but I can't imagine 150mW ever being optimal unless you like really quiet music. It could probably drive the 400i okay in balanced mode, but not a chance with the 560, or at least not as I see it.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #3,142 of 16,326
  Consider the PM3. Awesome sound signature, balanced ready at the cup, extremely comfortable, well made, great looking and easy to drive.

Thanks, PM3 is on my list to demo. My only concern is ear cups will be a little small for me, this is based on what I've read about them. I've tried momentum 2's and though I liked the sound I found ear cups to be too small. This is one of the reasons I started looking at full size headphones.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #3,143 of 16,326

Thanks, PM3 is on my list to demo. My only concern is ear cups will be a little small for me, this is based on what I've read about them. I've tried momentum 2's and though I liked the sound I found ear cups to be too small. This is one of the reasons I started looking at full size headphones.

Got it, yes that might be an issue. I think I have moderate sized ears and the fit is nice, but not much extra for me. That is a shame as the PM3 is really in many ways an ideal headphone for on the go. Hard to imagine much better. Good luck with your search.

My happy news is that my DP-X1 has cleared customs in one day and will arrive by Thursday at the latest. Sadly before my balanced cable, but SE will still be fun. Now I just hope the duties if any are light. The fact that it cleared customs so quickly means I may have gotten off easy.

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #3,144 of 16,326
Hi there,

I should receive my dp-x1 in a couple of days according to fedex tracking info and was curious to find out what over-ear headphones others are using with onkyo. I'm considering Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen but not sure if onkyo will be able to drive these to get the best out of them.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

The T1.2 sounds excellent. Much improved from the T1. The 32 ohm version sounds great from my iPhone too :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #3,145 of 16,326
Okay, I want to revisit a recent topic in this thread. First off, this is an area I frankly know virtually nothing about, so my questions are not being posed to challenge what has already been said. Specifically, I want to know why a third party app such as Neutron, just for example, can't access the DAC on any device it is installed on. My understanding, and on face value this seems reasonable, is that unless the developer knows the target DAC chip/implementation they need to write code that performs purely DSP on the CPU and rely on the DAC simply to route this digital out to the amplifier.

What I want to know is why this has to be? Is there no access path to any DAC through the OS? I can see that perhaps some advanced aspects of the DAC perhaps not being available, but is it really so limited that none of the digital conversion can be done in the DAC via these third-party apps? I have been using Neutron for years, and frankly I find the sound quality magnificent and I am very surprised to here it suggested that this is done purely via the CPU. Again, I have no technical background that would enable me to know one way or the other, but for those who do say that third party apps are locked out of the DAC I would like to know where an absolute confirmation of such information is derived from. Thanks in advance.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #3,146 of 16,326
The T1.2 sounds excellent. Much improved from the T1. The 32 ohm version sounds great from my iPhone too
smily_headphones1.gif

The 32 ohm, you mean T5p, right? T1 is 600 ohm I'm pretty sure.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #3,147 of 16,326
  Got it, yes that might be an issue. I think I have moderate sized ears and the fit is nice, but not much extra for me. That is a shame as the PM3 is really in many ways an ideal headphone for on the go. Hard to imagine much better. Good luck with your search.

I had similar thoughts, why couldn't they come up with a closed back version of PM1.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #3,148 of 16,326
  Okay, I want to revisit a recent topic in this thread. First off, this is an area I frankly know virtually nothing about, so my questions are not being posed to challenge what has already been said. Specifically, I want to know why a third party app such as Neutron, just for example, can't access the DAC on any device it is installed on. My understanding, and on face value this seems reasonable, is that unless the developer knows the target DAC chip/implementation they need to write code that performs purely DSP on the CPU and rely on the DAC simply to route this digital out to the amplifier.

What I want to know is why this has to be? Is there no access path to any DAC through the OS? I can see that perhaps some advanced aspects of the DAC perhaps not being available, but is it really so limited that none of the digital conversion can be done in the DAC via these third-party apps? I have been using Neutron for years, and frankly I find the sound quality magnificent and I am very surprised to here it suggested that this is done purely via the CPU. Again, I have no technical background that would enable me to know one way or the other, but for those who do say that third party apps are locked out of the DAC I would like to know where an absolute confirmation of such information is derived from. Thanks in advance.

I know there is one developer that will listen to people's feedback. It's Neutron, you need to go to this developer's website and contact him

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #3,149 of 16,326

My DP-X1 arrived earlier today!!
Paused on my listening coz it ran outta batt
frown.gif

Eagerly awaiting my CIEMs and cable so I can run this balanced out.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #3,150 of 16,326

I'll try to give an explanation on this, given my understanding of Android. Do correct me if I am wrong.
First of all, to output an audio signal, DACs are necessary, whether it be the onboard DAC within the Snapdragon SoC or the ESS DAC. (I doubt Onkyo would have enabled the DAC within the Snapdragon SoC tho)
Third-party apps are primarily designed to work on the majority of phones/tablets - which only have one way of outputting audio, which is via the implementation the manufacturer has laid out.
They would obviously have no problem in this regard.

Now take a look at the DP-X1.
It has ACG mode, balanced BTL mode, and SE output.
Obviously you would need some mechanism in the hardware to switch between the modes, and some code within the software to interface with this mechanism - which the stock app has.
Unfortunately, 3rd party players lack this bit of code, and thus are unable to interface well with this audio circuit - hence the distortion you might hear.
Take LG V10 as another example, third party apps are unable to make use of its 'HiFi mode" which switches over to use their ESS DAC over the default dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back