ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 12, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3,107 of 16,326

Which is actually funny, as Kodak invented the digital camera (or at least the sensor) and sat on it without developing it further because they didn't want to cannibalize their film sales.  See how that worked out for them.

LOL. So true! They gave away the paperless office idea to Apple so it wouldn't eat into their copier business too!

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #3,108 of 16,326
According to an eBay seller
Input and output terminal : 2.5 mm 4-pole balanced headphone output (from the tip R- R + / L + L-)

You mean Whiplash ?
It would make sense as those guys don't put anything specific about 2.5 TRRS when you order so either it's the general wiring or the AK one.

I'll know soon enough but wanted to send it back if it's not right for DP-X1

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #3,110 of 16,326
I kinda hate AK for this irregular TRRS connection lol. Being 2.5mm is hell load of works, and thin, weak...etc...I imagine a drop on the ground at the right angle would just break the pin and leave it inside the jack lol

Well Onkyo decided to go the AK route, as we said probably to steal some customers :)

Not sure 2.5 is that much more fragile than 3.5, but in my case Whiplash told me right angled didn't match their quality critierias that now will make it more fragile...

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #3,111 of 16,326
Also, the problem with a balanced 3.5mm TRRS port is that people may plug a regular TRS 3.5mm cable into it and short the amp, or they may plug in a TRRS microphone cable (both of which are more common than balanced 3.5mm TRRS cables) which may damage the headphones or amp section.  Better to have a different port that is balanced.

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3,113 of 16,326
Zx2 has 3.5 TRRS that take all of the above a you mentioned without shorting anything
biggrin.gif

But doesn't it also have a crazy high price and often requires the customer to purchase a portable amp?
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #3,114 of 16,326
  Also, the problem with a balanced 3.5mm TRRS port is that people may plug a regular TRS 3.5mm cable into it and short the amp, or they may plug in a TRRS microphone cable (both of which are more common than balanced 3.5mm TRRS cables) which may damage the headphones or amp section.  Better to have a different port that is balanced.

True this being said if there really is two wiring possible for 2.5 TRRS as posted earlier (General - Tip : L+ / Ring1 : R+ / Ring2 : L- / Sleeve : R- and AK  Tip : R- Ring1 : R+ Ring2 : L+ Sleeve : L-) could that short the amp?

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #3,116 of 16,326
Lol, depends...I use mine to drive headphones and have no problems with it....though like I said, the noise is what itching me to move foward to dp-x1

You know I just love giving you a hard time about your ZX2 love affair. Seriously, you are the gold standard of the customer profile any company would want, very loyal and socially active promoting the gear you love. Sony should send you a new ZX2!! Anyway, it is going to be hard for you once you get the DP-X1 and have to publically admit that currently at half the price the Onkyo takes the prize so I should go easy on you now. I promise if you do end up keeping the Onkyo I won't rip on you, well not too much.
wink_face.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #3,117 of 16,326
You know I just love giving you a hard time about your ZX2 love affair. Seriously, you are the gold standard of the customer profile any company would want, very loyal and socially active promoting the gear you love. Sony should send you a new ZX2!! Anyway, it is going to be hard for you once you get the DP-X1 and have to publically admit that currently at half the price the Onkyo takes the prize so I should go easy on you now. I promise if you do end up keeping the Onkyo I won't rip on you, well not too much. :wink_face:  

Lol, you treat me like a loyal fan....no, I am not any loyal fan of anyone. Hear me, I am only loyal to my ears and my music....money that I spent is disposable income, and it has nothing to do with being a fan, or promoting what I love, I only honestly voice out my impressions and what I have found. I won't even have a hard time selling my Zx2 for cheap either, if dp-x1 is a better device, then I welcome it...hell I can even give the Zx2 away to my nephew for all I care. What I want ? Is to seek for the "ultimate listening experiences", hell it could last for a couple months, years ? I don't care, as long as there is new devices and are better I won't have any hard time selling or giving my old gears away and progress.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #3,118 of 16,326
Lol, you treat me like a loyal fan....no, I am not any loyal fan of anyone. Hear me, I am only loyal to my ears and my music....money that I spent is disposable income, and it has nothing to do with being a fan, or promoting what I love, I only honestly voice out my impressions and what I have found. I won't even have a hard time selling my Zx2 for cheap either, if dp-x1 is a better device, then I welcome it...hell I can even give the Zx2 away to my nephew for all I care. What I want ? Is to seek for the "ultimate listening experiences", hell it could last for a couple months, years ? I don't care, as long as there is new devices and are better I won't have any hard time selling or giving my old gears away and progress.

thats the spirit, Whitigir!!! sound for sounds sake, not for manufactures or fans sake!  BRAVO...you have a lucky nephew !  
its the SHAMANIC QUEST for the ultimate sound experience that takes you into another synthethesia universe of sound
realities that transcend ordinary perception....

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #3,119 of 16,326
It's 22:04 at the moment, and my Onkyo DP-X1 plus DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector parcel is in my hometown's depot.

Delivery tomorrow perhaps?

I'M TOO EXCITED :O

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #3,120 of 16,326
It's 22:04 at the moment, and my Onkyo DP-X1 plus DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector parcel is in my hometown's depot.

Delivery tomorrow perhaps?

I'M TOO EXCITED :O

Looks like it :)
Now fingers crossed that delivery goes well... 

Mine stuck at customs 10mn away from here... frustrating but all good things come to those who wait although the longer it takes the more inclined I am to think it's going to cost...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back