ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 28, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #1,636 of 16,326
Some days = 3-4 weeks. Classic.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #1,637 of 16,326
do third party apps get access to the dac/amp or is it just the stock music player

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #1,640 of 16,326
you heard many daps and i owned many daps as well for long peroids, and among the worst eqs i found were in fiio daps, and i owned them and not only listened to them for few hours but for months, believe me i did not like to come to that conclusion about the eq in fiio daps as that disappointment led me to ak daps which are expensive but satisfied my love for eq

now what i did not like in fiio eq is they are so so so so bad that equing anything destroys everything in the sound from bass , mids , treble, and what a poor implementation really

the eq in fiio is simply put bad, and to put things in perspective using eq in fiio makes the sound lose its dynamics, the bass implementation eq is so bad, treble is even worse

i come from car audio and using the best sound processor in car audio called helix pro, and with it you have to be a pro and you have to have knowledge about sound and frequencies and use a software called room eq to measure frequencies and then apply the needed fix, so please know that i know when an eq is good from bad

I have no doubts that you know what good eq is, never doubted that buddy. Merely wanted to find out more specifically what you meant.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #1,641 of 16,326
I think he might be asking that because of how the LG V10 can only utilise the ESS for very few Apps. Others have to use the snapdragon conversion.

But I'm pretty sure the Onkyo only uses the ESS.

I'm new for Android DAP but from what you said, it mean if we don't use stock music app SQ maybe drop?

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #1,642 of 16,326
I'm new for Android DAP but from what you said, it mean if we don't use stock music app SQ maybe drop?

I don't think it's something so simple? People have reported different sound quality changes across different apps on the iphone or android phones. The stock app has not always been reported to be the best.

I think with the LG V10, it is different in that the ESS dac amp has to be manually engaged. It is only useable in certain scenarios, eg with headphones and on certain apps, so that it can save battery as the ESS dac can draw quite some power and kill the battery.

I assume that the Onkyo is not like that. The LG is still predominantly a phone first, a Dap second and thus it makes sense for such an implementation. The Onkyo is solely a DAP, and thus no need to scale down to the crappy snapdragon internal dac. That would defeat all purpose of the product.

With regards to how different apps sound different, this is a subject of debate. I have not personally compared them different apps. Thus I cannot give you an answer. But assuming it does make a difference, I assume that if anything it would be the way the files are handled and any digital processing or filtering done by the app, as all playback software probably have to do that. With that, assuming that holds true, then it's really down to the implementation of each app rather than simply saying that the stock app is best.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,643 of 16,326
In LG's case, they are trying to find balance between battery life and sound quality, in order to do that, they do a compromise where regular sound processing will be done by the integrated Dac meanwhile the ess dac is used when their own music app is used (for now at least, maybe root will solve this problem). Meanwhile in Onkyo's, this is a purely audio device, perhaps the implementation will be different when using other android apps but the processing will still be done by the dual ess dac.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #1,644 of 16,326
@WCDChee @Orky261

Thank for an explaination, now I understood how some android device work with DAC chip.

And yes, I hope you guys are right. It should be good if any music app run by X1 process the sound through dual DAC. I love to have more choice for music app with no drop of sound quality.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #1,645 of 16,326
In LG's case, they are trying to find balance between battery life and sound quality, in order to do that, they do a compromise where regular sound processing will be done by the integrated Dac meanwhile the ess dac is used when their own music app is used (for now at least, maybe root will solve this problem). Meanwhile in Onkyo's, this is a purely audio device, perhaps the implementation will be different when using other android apps but the processing will still be done by the dual ess dac.

True.

But previous android daps like the DX100 had the same problem where the ESS hardware only works in the stock player.

I think for developers would have make specific code for such players in their apps to use the dac hardware since each player is different internally.

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #1,646 of 16,326
It will be a huge disappointment if app like Tidal, Deezer, VLC (for live concert) or even Youtube use poor android DAC instead of dual Sabre DAC :frowning2:

Nov 29, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,647 of 16,326
It will be a huge disappointment if app like Tidal, Deezer, VLC (for live concert) or even Youtube use poor android DAC instead of dual Sabre DAC
frown.gif

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,648 of 16,326
It will be a huge disappointment if app like Tidal, Deezer, VLC (for live concert) or even Youtube use poor android DAC instead of dual Sabre DAC :frowning2:

Would be deal breaker for me - I'm getting this DAP primarily to use with Tidal. Would be a bit weird if it's no better than a smartphone for those apps.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #1,649 of 16,326
I'm getting mine tomorrow, I'll probably test stock app, youtube, and power amp but I suspect the difference would not be in the hardware, probably in the software and I don't think there would be much difference.

My country's mobile internet is total crap so streaming outside is really not an option which means Tidal and Spotify is a no no.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #1,650 of 16,326
So the Onkyo doesn't have folder browsing unless you use a third party music player. Which makes me wonder:

a. Will third party apps take full advantage of the componentsor will the audio get downsampled by Android before it reaches our ears?

B. I wouldn't count on folder browsing coming via a firmware update. If they were going to do that they would have already implemented it in their Android music player app.

C. What about Pioneer DAP which uses different music player app? Will that have folder browsing??!

D. Very disappointing oversight and this is making me hesistant to purchase. Folder browsing for me is essential. It is the only way I listen to music, for a couple important reasons I won't get into right now

F A I L

i can already see the faces of people buying 'the best new dap bla bla bla bla' and finding out 'no folder browsing for you, buddy' 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back