ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 28, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,606 of 16,326
@FiidelityCastro

NP :) I don't think EQ setting is a bad thing to do. We all have a different kind of taste and I respect all of them. If EQ setting make a sound better for someone's ears. Use EQ setting is a right thing to do.

Thanks, @ReizeiMako. I don't even know if I have EQ adjustment on my iP6, which is my main transport. But when I use the AK120 I do tend to fiddle with the EQ a bit.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,607 of 16,326
It's an interesting one and each to his or her own, of course. But any music we listen to is mixed, and mixing is basically volume, panning and EQ. And it's done on a particular rig with one or two different monitors, plus the "MP3 test" and the "car stereo test". So listening to music with a particular DAP/DAC and 'phones may result in a track sounding different to how the producer intended. Yet we often treat EQ as a bad thing on head-fi (I appreciate it's a pain having to adjust EQ often, but cranking a bit of bass on a DAP and leaving it cranked may wind up giving you more bass than was intended for any given track anyway - and bass heads probably prefer that.)

Absolute not meaning to criticise #ReizeiMako at all, as we all have different tastes. But EQ is there as a tool to tailor any track to how we like it on any given device. Mileages obviously vary, etc etc.

its one thing to have an eq or not but if the orginal sound sig is lacking in bass man this means that we will have to keep messing alot with the eq.

I use eq in my daps, but for example the eq in fiio x5 is so bad, also the eq in fiio x3ii is worst

and listening to those without eq is a pain 

on the contrary i have the ak100ii and it sounds amazing without eq and with eq its superb

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #1,608 of 16,326
It's an interesting one and each to his or her own, of course. But any music we listen to is mixed, and mixing is basically volume, panning and EQ. And it's done on a particular rig with one or two different monitors, plus the "MP3 test" and the "car stereo test". So listening to music with a particular DAP/DAC and 'phones may result in a track sounding different to how the producer intended. Yet we often treat EQ as a bad thing on head-fi (I appreciate it's a pain having to adjust EQ often, but cranking a bit of bass on a DAP and leaving it cranked may wind up giving you more bass than was intended for any given track anyway - and bass heads probably prefer that.)

Absolute not meaning to criticise #ReizeiMako at all, as we all have different tastes. But EQ is there as a tool to tailor any track to how we like it on any given device. Mileages obviously vary, etc etc.

its one thing to have an eq or not but if the orginal sound sig is lacking in bass man this means that we will have to keep messing alot with the eq.

I use eq in my daps, but for example the eq in fiio x5 is so bad, also the eq in fiio x3ii is worst

and listening to those without eq is a pain 

on the contrary i have the ak100ii and it sounds amazing without eq and with eq its superb

Good point. What makes a bad (or good) EQ by the way? Is it the range of frequencies that you can adjust (or lack of) or is it that you can't fine tune it?

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #1,609 of 16,326
Good point. What makes a bad (or good) EQ by the way? Is it the range of frequencies that you can adjust (or lack of) or is it that you can't fine tune it?

its not about only the range of frequencies as both the fiio daps and ak have nearly similar frequencies you can adjust it is about implementation of the eq and i honestly praise astell and kern for having great eqs, i do not know know why their eq is better than other daps but simply it is

Nov 28, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #1,610 of 16,326

If you are ok with AK100ii then you will be ok with DP-X1, AK's are neutral in bass, the EQ on DP-X1 Is awesome, like the Onkyo app, you can have up to 20 band EQ, and you can customize any obscure frequency you want, eg 378Hz etc, and you can alter in decimal increments, eg +1.8dB, you have 20 bands of this complete customizability, it doesn't get any better than this before going to fully parametric eq.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #1,611 of 16,326
  its not about only the range of frequencies as both the fiio daps and ak have nearly similar frequencies you can adjust it is about implementation of the eq and i honestly praise astell and kern for having great eqs, i do not know know why their eq is better than other daps but simply it is

I'm not certain what it is about the X5's EQ that you don't like, but I find it to be pretty well implemented with no obvious loss of fidelity.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,612 of 16,326
I thought waiting for the release and waiting for someone to buy it for would be an agony but now waiting for it to arrive on my hand turns out to be the biggest pain in the butt. Please someone just post some more impressions, I felt so empty right now.

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #1,613 of 16,326
@Orky261 IRRC you will get your DP-X1 on Monday? Much sooner than most of us here. So you should count yourself lucky. I'm also waiting for your impression as well :D

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:45 AM Post #1,614 of 16,326
@Orky261 IRRC you will get your DP-X1 on Monday? Much sooner than most of us here. So you should count yourself lucky. I'm also waiting for your impression as well
biggrin.gif

Yes, even my local audiophile shop wants to get an impression of it too. Well, I guess I should keep myself busy.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,616 of 16,326

I'm not certain what it is about the X5's EQ that you don't like, but I find it to be pretty well implemented with no obvious loss of fidelity.

i assume then that you did not listen to an ak dap, as that is the only explanation to your statement above

there is no comparison between the ak eq and fiio eqs

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #1,617 of 16,326
I do not like the EQ on the AK120II nor 240.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back