ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 28, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,621 of 16,326
  i assume then that you did not listen to an ak dap, as that is the only explanation to your statement above

there is no comparison between the ak eq and fiio eqs

I have heard almost every DAP out there, AK, Lotoo, Fiio, Ibasso, Soundaware, Sony, Cayin, well pardon me if I've missed anything. Well not the questyle or the Shanlings but well you get my point. And no offence but the AK's have left me unimpressed sonically time and again. Of course, this is all subjective.

It seems like I'm not the only one that has been unimpressed by AK's EQ function. However personally, when I say unimpressed, I mean that I have not found it to be anything better than what the x5 can produce (EQ function).

Perhaps though, you could let us know what you mean by a poor EQ implementation? It could mean many things, degrading of the sound, loss of dynamics, no audible impact on the sound, difficult to use, among other things. Perhaps you could be more specific as to what exactly you do not like about the EQs of the different DAPs?

On a side note, I was not showing off (there really is nothing to show off about having heard many products...I'm just lucky that I everything there is in head fi, I probably could get to a shop that has it in an hour from where I live), bu there really is no need for such a hostile statement :)

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,622 of 16,326

I have heard almost every DAP out there, AK, Lotoo, Fiio, Ibasso, Soundaware, Sony, Cayin, well pardon me if I've missed anything. Well not the questyle or the Shanlings but well you get my point. And no offence but the AK's have left me unimpressed sonically time and again. Of course, this is all subjective.

It seems like I'm not the only one that has been unimpressed by AK's EQ function. However personally, when I say unimpressed, I mean that I have not found it to be anything better than what the x5 can produce (EQ function).

Perhaps though, you could let us know what you mean by a poor EQ implementation? It could mean many things, degrading of the sound, loss of dynamics, no audible impact on the sound, difficult to use, among other things. Perhaps you could be more specific as to what exactly you do not like about the EQs of the different DAPs?

On a side note, I was not showing off (there really is nothing to show off about having heard many products...I'm just lucky that I everything there is in head fi, I probably could get to a shop that has it in an hour from where I live), bu there really is no need for such a hostile statement :)

you heard many daps and i owned many daps as well for long peroids, and among the worst eqs i found were in fiio daps, and i owned them and not only listened to them for few hours but for months, believe me i did not like to come to that conclusion about the eq in fiio daps as that disappointment led me to ak daps which are expensive but satisfied my love for eq

now what i did not like in fiio eq is they are so so so so bad that equing anything destroys everything in the sound from bass , mids , treble, and what a poor implementation really

the eq in fiio is simply put bad, and to put things in perspective using eq in fiio makes the sound lose its dynamics, the bass implementation eq is so bad, treble is even worse

i come from car audio and using the best sound processor in car audio called helix pro, and with it you have to be a pro and you have to have knowledge about sound and frequencies and use a software called room eq to measure frequencies and then apply the needed fix, so please know that i know when an eq is good from bad

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #1,624 of 16,326
Actually I almost went with Cowon P1 and getting myself ready to EQ the crap out of everything, but yeah I agree with @rcoleman1, I'd rather leave it alone if possible. Perhaps some help and a bit of touch from my amp is already enough. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,626 of 16,326

For all these reasons I prefer my sound with no EQ and my DAPs neutral at best if possible.

Amen. so im hearing words like flat, calm, neutral, maybe a teeny lack of bass? You could very well say that about my Tera Player  
smile.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #1,628 of 16,326
I can still stomach how ridiculous AK prices are but Tera player took it into another level.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,629 of 16,326

I've always been intrigued by the Tera Player but the cost...geeesh! Lol 
blink.gif

Dont be such a tight wad, I found the best deal EVAR. 
wink_face.gif

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1133763&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvuWyBRDO_Yzhpv_4nvEBEiQANBdXMiaw77Uc4RlJ0Qva8rC4-c1pkLZZwgjl1d-7BA5B5g0aAjiE8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&Q=&A=details

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #1,630 of 16,326

Dont be such a tight wad, I found the best deal EVAR. 
wink_face.gif

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1133763&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvuWyBRDO_Yzhpv_4nvEBEiQANBdXMiaw77Uc4RlJ0Qva8rC4-c1pkLZZwgjl1d-7BA5B5g0aAjiE8P8HAQ&is=REG&ap=y&Q=&A=details

Wow. Shut my mouth. Guess I'm too cheap to be a REAL audiophile Lol. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #1,631 of 16,326
In their defense, they included 75 legit copy of hi-res albums and not to forget the AK tax. Price aside, yes AK is overpriced but you get some solid stuff, meanwhile Tera, you got a box of metal with some audio component inside and the control is so basic and the website selling it doesn't help convincing me that it is actually selling something really good.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,633 of 16,326
So the Onkyo doesn't have folder browsing unless you use a third party music player. Which makes me wonder:

a. Will third party apps take full advantage of the componentsor will the audio get downsampled by Android before it reaches our ears?

B. I wouldn't count on folder browsing coming via a firmware update. If they were going to do that they would have already implemented it in their Android music player app.

C. What about Pioneer DAP which uses different music player app? Will that have folder browsing??!

D. Very disappointing oversight and this is making me hesistant to purchase. Folder browsing for me is essential. It is the only way I listen to music, for a couple important reasons I won't get into right now

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #1,635 of 16,326
For those who ordered DP-X1 from Pricejapan after 10 November, at least they may have a change to get a DP-X1 as a new year present before 2016.

I made an order on 28 November and this is what they informed me:

"Thanks for order for Onkyo DP-X1.

We received your US$641 payment via paypal, thanks.

Due to huge pre-orders already received, it may need some days(3-4 weeks) to
be shipped after its release date."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back