ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 27, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,576 of 16,326
Good to see that someone finally has this player. Thanks @mtthefirst for the early impressions.

Glad to hear it sounds good single-ended but seems the UI lag and delayed volume response are confirmed. Hopefully Onkyo doesn't take too long to update the software.

Look forward to the a/b comparisons and how the ACG and balanced modes sound.

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #1,577 of 16,326
Side buttons got a black paint job I see, I like it this way. Harder to notice but sleeker.

Compare to this show unit

I wonder how long it will take before we can find a tempered glass protection for it.

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,580 of 16,326
  Good to see that someone finally has this player. Thanks @mtthefirst for the early impressions.

Glad to hear it sounds good single-ended but seems the UI lag and delayed volume response are confirmed. Hopefully Onkyo doesn't take too long to update the software.

Look forward to the a/b comparisons and how the ACG and balanced modes sound.

does it mean that if one does not intend to used balanced output, we can get pioneer xdp-100r instead of onkyo dp-x1 ?

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,581 of 16,326

does it mean that if one does not intend to used balanced output, we can get pioneer xdp-100r instead of onkyo dp-x1 ?

Wouldn't you want a comparison between ACG mode SE on and off before settling your mind? 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,582 of 16,326

Don't see why not. Both are the same except for the dual chips in the Onkyo. If prices are similar the DP-X1 is an easy choice but if you don't need balanced and can save $100-200 getting the Pioneer makes sense.

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,583 of 16,326
If logistic is not an issue, another $100 is nothing in audiophile world, might as well go for broke imo. Perhaps you could also count it for future proofing, considering balanced 2.5mm is just starting to get common.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,584 of 16,326
agree with the 3 above posts but the thing is: i live in singapore and till now there's no official announcement as to whether it's releasing here. and ordering online is concerning to me because of warranty coverage :p

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #1,585 of 16,326
The Onkyo and Pioneer units are totally different bodies, different build quality, with the Onkyo an obviously high-end, seamless metal unibody experience.  The Pioneer has plasticky bits and screws, if you care about such things. (I do).

I'm glad people are actually receiving the DP-X1.  mtthefirst
could you let us know what was included in the box with the DAP?   Did it ship with a case of any kind?  Did it include an SD card? 

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #1,586 of 16,326
  The Onkyo and Pioneer units are totally different bodies, different build quality, with the Onkyo an obviously high-end, seamless metal unibody experience.  The Pioneer has plasticky bits and screws, if you care about such things. (I do).

I'm glad people are actually receiving the DP-X1.  mtthefirst
could you let us know what was included in the box with the DAP?   Did it ship with a case of any kind?  Did it include an SD card? 

I order it from Yodobashi Camera. The box come with the DAP, micro usb cable, warranty, quick start guide (8 different languages) and user instruction (also 8 languages). No micro SD card for me.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #1,587 of 16,326
Thanks.  No case of any kind?   And multi-language instructions means their planning to export it for real . . . .  

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,588 of 16,326
  Here is my impression about DP-X1 after constantly playing with it for about two hours.

My IEM is Fitear MH335DWSR with toxic cables picolino. I don't own any TRRS balanced cable, so I can't test the balanced output. I'm comparing my impression with my ipod touch 5G connect to VentureCraft Go-DAP DD Limited DAC with MUSES01 OpAmp and output to Cypher Labs Duet (M2M is custom Nordost Frey cable).

First thing is that I don't face any volume spike during my two hours listen session like the one that Dopaminer experience when he try the demo at Onkyo shop in Tokyo. Most of my files are jazz and pop with different formats from mp3, wav, flac up to DSD.

Now let's get to the point. The first impression is that DP-X1 sound way better than my own stack which cost about twice of DP-X1. The background is so black that I can notice any thing on my fairly sensitรve MH335DWSR. Soundstage feel wide and have some depth to it. The separation is very good and precise. The resolution is superb. One thing that I firstly notice is that the bass seem to a bit less on this DAP. MH335 is very bass heavy iem, so I'm not sure what will happen on other iem. Good thing that You have 11 points EQ to help compensate it, if needed. More comparison on the sound will come later.

I'm very satisfy with the build quality of this DAP. It feels durable yet light weight. It come with the protective film for the screen. The screen is easily prone to fingerprint and I already scratch the protective film.

This is my first my messing with Android. I'm always on apple ecosystem, the UI seem very unfamiliar to me. Comparing to iOS, DP-X1 UI is very confusing to me at first. May be because it is my first time using Android. The responsive for the input is slightly slow compare to iOS. The volume change seem to take about almost 0.5 second to response.

Here are some pictures.

@mtthefirst Can you also upload pictures of what is in the box, ie. accessories?

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #1,589 of 16,326
  I order it from Yodobashi Camera. The box come with the DAP, micro usb cable, warranty, quick start guide (8 different languages) and user instruction (also 8 languages). No micro SD card for me.

Good to see you are still around, haven't seen you post since the DD socket 1 thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back