ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Nov 27, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,561 of 16,326
Surprisingly I acquired the last stock of DP-X1 from one of the Yodobashi in Tokyo, gotta wait till the 30th of November to get my hands on it though.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,565 of 16,326
through the grapevine lol
sorry, i shouldve said " i heard DP-X1 uses single dac and amp for unbalanced but can not confirm it".

I thought in single mode it put the DACs in series so the first could act to reduce noise. I thought I read that somewhere.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,566 of 16,326
Here is my impression about DP-X1 after constantly playing with it for about two hours.

My IEM is Fitear MH335DWSR with toxic cables picolino. I don't own any TRRS balanced cable, so I can't test the balanced output. I'm comparing my impression with my ipod touch 5G connect to VentureCraft Go-DAP DD Limited DAC with MUSES01 OpAmp and output to Cypher Labs Duet (M2M is custom Nordost Frey cable).

First thing is that I don't face any volume spike during my two hours listen session like the one that Dopaminer experience when he try the demo at Onkyo shop in Tokyo. Most of my files are jazz and pop with different formats from mp3, wav, flac up to DSD.

Now let's get to the point. The first impression is that DP-X1 sound way better than my own stack which cost about twice of DP-X1. The background is so black that I can notice any thing on my fairly sensitรve MH335DWSR. Soundstage feel wide and have some depth to it. The separation is very good and precise. The resolution is superb. One thing that I firstly notice is that the bass seem to a bit less on this DAP. MH335 is very bass heavy iem, so I'm not sure what will happen on other iem. Good thing that You have 11 points EQ to help compensate it, if needed. More comparison on the sound will come later.

I'm very satisfy with the build quality of this DAP. It feels durable yet light weight. It come with the protective film for the screen. The screen is easily prone to fingerprint and I already scratch the protective film.

This is my first my messing with Android. I'm always on apple ecosystem, the UI seem very unfamiliar to me. Comparing to iOS, DP-X1 UI is very confusing to me at first. May be because it is my first time using Android. The responsive for the input is slightly slow compare to iOS. The volume change seem to take about almost 0.5 second to response.

Here are some pictures.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #1,567 of 16,326
Thanks man!!! Now i'm waiting for my DP-X1 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #1,568 of 16,326
@mtthefirst Thank for an impression! I'm glad to hear that this DAP sound excellent :)

Anyway, did you ever listened to DX90, X5ii or other DAP? May I ask you to compare the bass of DP-X1 with other DAP in the next review?

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #1,569 of 16,326
  Now let's get to the point. The first impression is that DP-X1 sound way better than my own stack which cost about twice of DP-X1. The background is so black that I can notice any thing on my fairly sensitรve MH335DWSR. Soundstage feel wide and have some depth to it. The separation is very good and precise. The resolution is superb. One thing that I firstly notice is that the bass seem to a bit less on this DAP. MH335 is very bass heavy iem, so I'm not sure what will happen on other iem. Good thing that You have 11 points EQ to help compensate it, if needed. More comparison on the sound will come later.

The 30th of November can't come soon enough!

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #1,570 of 16,326
@mtthefirst Thank for an impression! I'm glad to hear that this DAP sound excellent
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, did you ever listened to DX90, X5ii or other DAP? May I ask you to compare the bass of DP-X1 with other DAP in the next review?

The only the actual DAP that I own is ipod touch 5G but I have quite a few DAC/Amp in my possession that I might do the comparison later. 

- VentureCraft Go-Dap DD Limited (DAC)
- JDS Labs C5 (Amp)
- ALO National (Amp)
- ALO Rx Mk3_B (Amp)
- Cypher Labs Duet (Amp)
- Analog Squared Paper TUR-06 (Amp)
- ifi iDAC2 (DAC/Amp)
- Fostex HP-A4 (Dac/Amp)
- VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon (DAC/Amp)

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #1,571 of 16,326
The only the actual DAP that I own is ipod touch 5G but I have quite a few DAC/Amp in my possession that I might do the comparison later. 

- VentureCraft Go-Dap DD Limited (DAC)
- JDS Labs C5 (Amp)
- ALO National (Amp)
- ALO Rx Mk3_B (Amp)
- Cypher Labs Duet (Amp)
- Analog Squared Paper TUR-06 (Amp)
- ifi iDAC2 (DAC/Amp)
- Fostex HP-A4 (Dac/Amp)
- VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon (DAC/Amp)

How does it sound compared to, say, the idac2?

Nov 27, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #1,574 of 16,326
@mtthefirst i just want to know if the eq can compensate for the lack of bass you mentioned in ur first impresison

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,575 of 16,326
Early impression stated that ACG mode make a different on bass section. I wish mtthefirst test this mode as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back