ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 19, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #121 of 16,326
I hate to burst your bubble, but the more inferior Pioneer twin is already going for £499. I will be very surprised to see this baby priced anything less than 1,200 USD.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/pioneer-xdp-100r-portable-player.html

That bursts bubbles indeed, mine in any case...

I was hoping for something along the lines of 699 euro's too...
Frankly, anything beyond that is out of my price range, more so since extra memory needs to be bought as well. 700 is already pretty steep for a dap if you ask me.
Anything in the realm of 800-1200 dollars/euros with just 32gb of memory I can't justify buying.

I don't want to have to settle for the inferior brother, but I just might have to if your prediction is correct. I haven't even compared the X7 with the Pioneer dap yet, so smitten was I with this Onkyo one.

You made me a sad muppet!

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #122 of 16,326

Thanks for this post, it really answers some questions I had gnawing in the back of my head.

I'm thinking about getting serious about portable audio and trying to identify and weigh the pros and cons of a high quality dedicated player vs smartphone+dac/amp solution. I had been thinking that convenience and UI is a huge plus for the smartphone solution, but not sure to what extent since I have absolutely no experience with DAPs.

I'd be very grateful if more people can post their opinions on the subject. I'm looking at DAPs in the +/- $1000 price range, and amp/dacs all the way from E17 to the Chord Hugo, to pair with a pair of quality CIEMs.

I don't want to derail the conversation, but you do ask a good question.

If you want a DAP with a useful interface and software in the kilobuck range, today, you're probably stuck with (sigh) Astell&Kern and their nonexistent customer support. At least the new A+K's support M3U playlist files, so you can take the ones from your computer without too much pain with third party software, like Dapper and possibly Foobar plugins. The new A+K ones. Not their old black-body models. Those were junk in the software department.

Or wait for this new Pioneer/Onkyo thing. It's seriously promising. And I definitely see it as selling in the kilobuck range.  However, we simply have no idea at this point in time what the final quality of their software will be on the computer-end of the system, or if it will support Mac and Windows. 

There's also the Sony offerings like the NW-ZX2, but from what I heard Sony is overpriced compared to their sound quality, even compared to A+K, and if you want to sync stuff with minimal suffering from a Mac, you're SOL without adding third party software (which may or may not exist or be possible to use  EDIT: Dapper just added support for the NW-ZX2! Wow that one guy is productive- ahem... Sony, iRiver, and all you other manufacturers- you should be ashamed of yourselves that you won't include sync software that is apparently that easy to make, and we should really be thankful that Map Pin is only charging $20 for his sync software instead of gouging us as is the pattern in HiFi), of course I'm sure that resorting to basic file transfer could work. I haven't been able to get any information whatsoever if the Sony's support the universal M3U playlist files. I don't have any ability to test the Sony Media Go software for Windows.

There's also the Calyx M, which also is praised for its interface and sound but again,you're stuck, with basic file transfer, and you'll have to make your playlists all over again on the device. Again, no luck with determining if Calyx supports M3U.

The Cowon Plenue One does NOT support externally made playlists. Pathetic. 

For usability, Fiio, Cayin, iBasso, HiFiMan- these all have crippling design faults with their interfaces. Some may be able to deal with the inconvenience, but if you're the sort of person willing to put up with that stuff, you might be the sort of person who would consider a stack with an extended battery, a small Android tablet with SD card (a smartphone is -not- a good option as the cellular communication circuity, especially the GSM band, adds tons of noise to the system), and a DAC/Amp with a small nest of cables and rubber bands as a viable option. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #123 of 16,326
I must read up on the Sabre amp chips, if they produce a clean, balanced, non treble shy tone, I'll be all over the Onkyo DAP like a fat child is candies...

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #124 of 16,326
Sabre dacs are anything but treble shy, they are very detailed and balanced. If I would guess as to the sound these daps will have it will be clean and balanced.

I found some impressions for the Pioneer XDP-100R, translated from a Japanese website.

"Still many features that are not available in the prototype stage, it is quite likely the sound could change in the production release.
I tried to listen. XDP-100R sounds very clear, and the sound is Pioneer-esque. A tight sound over the entire area.
XPA-700 sounds quite similar, but it was the impression that XDP-100R is more neutral in low frequency range.
UI with Android was smooth in operation without any lag. Also very intuitive in operation.
The resolution fell one notch when compared with AK380, but that is quite expensive compared to other daps.
 I listened with Pioneer headphones, the driving force was high, it was a closed type of headphone, felt a firmly spread of sound. Compared to the NW-ZX100 of SONY, than the NW-ZX100 to sound exciting sound in the high range and thick low frequency, it sounds towards the XPA-100R is a well-rounded collection of balance I felt to. Price is undecided, product is still under development, but I'm looking forward to release very much."

Hard to really get anything from the translation, don't quite understand the comparison to ZX100, but I gather they thought the Pioneer sounded very balanced. Pretty good to be one notch lower than AK380 when your comparing a $600 dap to a $3,500 dap lol. Plus I wonder how the better Onkyo will fare, should be promising.

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #125 of 16,326

I'm looking forward to this offering from Onkyo , but just on these two points.

If you only get 4 hours from your AK240 , something is wrong. I can easily get double that. And re 10 hours for the Onkyo , we all know this isn't necessarily a real world experience.

Double micro SD is great , but it better be double considering on board is only 32gb. AK240 & 380 are 256gb. So there's no real advantage there.

Very good points but they still enjoy bashing AK here. Don't dampen their spirits.
wink_face.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #127 of 16,326
  ^ I think we should be comparing the Onkyo to the most similarly priced AK dap, which would be ak100ii, owait nothing to compare AK gets spanked by Onkyo 
biggrin.gif

bigsmile_face.gif
 I hope it is a good product with a good price point. I think a good product at a good price point is the Pono.  AK is priced so high, but to be real I enjoy the AK100ii, the sq is real nice. I also knew in my mind I was going to struggle with the price as a new retail product, so I bought a used one. 

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #129 of 16,326
  ^ I think we should be comparing the Onkyo to the most similarly priced AK dap, which would be ak100ii, owait nothing to compare AK gets spanked by Onkyo 
biggrin.gif

Yes please.
Seeing as how the Pioneer with 2 gigs of memory a high quality DAC and a 4.7" 720p screen already has some superior specs to another rival.
I think the Onkyo is aiming higher. I hope they hit the bullseye.

Sep 19, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #133 of 16,326
Pioneer ~ $700
ONKYO ~ $1100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back