ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 10, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #14,446 of 16,326
Sorry, interrupt a bit.
I am thinking to sell my DP-X1A.
Having it on desk for months, just use it once to try it out.
Any one might be interested, send me PM.
I will post it to trade thread later when I have time to make it.

May 10, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #14,447 of 16,326
I'm curious about the DP-X1A/X1. How are firmware updates with Onkyo lately? Are they still actively supporting this player?

May 11, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #14,448 of 16,326
Has anyone experienced noise with 3rd party apps, I tried 5 including tidal and they all make noise.

May 11, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #14,449 of 16,326
I'm curious about the DP-X1A/X1. How are firmware updates with Onkyo lately? Are they still actively supporting this player?

I've only had the DP-X1 for about 6 weeks. Correct me if I'm wrong - but since this runs on Android 5.1.1 we won't see system firmware updates. Instead we have updates to the Onkyo Music Player app. Which was recently updated on March 14th.

May 11, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #14,450 of 16,326

Since the DP-X1 was released, about a year ago, I believe there have been two firmware updates - one soon after the DAP was first shipping, and one just recently, when they began shipping the DP-X1A. Onkyo has still not delivered a firmware update to provide the originally advertised USB DAC functionality.

May 11, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #14,452 of 16,326
I don't recall them advertising such an issue

Just looked back at the beginnings of this thread, and you're correct.

I came to this thread at the end of last Summer, when people were speculating about Onkyo releasing a USB DAC firmware update - and thought it was something that had been planned, but delayed.

May 12, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #14,453 of 16,326
Hey guys, anyone know if the dp1xa supports balanced line out (edited: I mean fixed level line out) on the 2.5mm output? So i can feed an external balanced amp. Or is line out only via the 3.2mm single-ended output. thanks!

edited for clarity :wink:

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #14,455 of 16,326
Hey guys, anyone know if the dp1xa supports balanced line out on the 2.5mm output? So i can feed an external balanced amp. Or is line out only via the 3.2mm single-ended output. thanks!

The 2.5mm jack does support balanced output.

I've got a DP-X1 (not the "A"), and I use the 2.5mm TRRS balanced headphone output to drive earphones & earbuds.
I've also used the 3.5mm TRS unbalanced output in fixed line level output mode.

But I don't yet have an amp with balanced line level inputs, to test whether the 2.5mm TRRS jack can also function as a balanced fixed line level output - which the volume knob doesn't control.
I am working towards assembling a balanced single-ended Class A headphone amplifier (probably using a pair of XRK Pocket Class A NHB (No Holds Barred - Hand-tuned) amps).

Take Care,
David Baldock

May 12, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #14,456 of 16,326
I've got a DP-X1 (not the "A"), and I use the 2.5mm TRRS balanced headphone output to drive earphones & earbuds.
I've also used the 3.5mm TRS unbalanced output in fixed line level output mode.

But I don't yet have an amp with balanced line level inputs, to test whether the 2.5mm TRRS jack can also function as a balanced fixed line level output - which the volume knob doesn't control.
I am working towards assembling a balanced single-ended Class A headphone amplifier (probably using a pair of XRK Pocket Class A NHB (No Holds Barred - Hand-tuned) amps).

Take Care,
David Baldock

Ah yes that is what I mean, whether that 2.5mm supports the fixed line level output function as well (the 3.5mm does of course)

May 13, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #14,457 of 16,326
@addyg:
You're right. The DP-X1A sounds like Jack of all trades in terms of functionality. The sound, while artificial to some degree (once you compare with the best DAPs/DACs), is unparalleled - and I just couldn't find anything as portable and universal that would sound this good. If I was mostly commuting again in any big city like Tokyo and could not afford the WM1A (or wanted to play Tidal files offline), I'd get the DP-X1A again in a heartbeat. Who wants to hook up Mojo to their phone on the train (and be asked what is that weird 3 button colorful game all the time)? :)

@Bengkia369
@antz123 :
I heard the AK240 and Opus #1 before buying the DP-X1A. Not sure what the Opus #1 hype is all about - as its bass just sucks (Onkyo goes lower and is better defined) and vocals have a weird texture, even compared to DP-X1A.

Now AK240 does sound pretty good, true, but the WM1A/Z still smokes it (in terms of resolution and overall realism). It was a good product years ago - something that had other manufacturers play the catch-up game - but I would dare to claim that even DP-X1A is more HiRes on some recordings than AK240. Yeah, the music flows on AK240 - but perhaps flows too much, that some fine details are forever lost. Some might ask - who cares about fine details when enjoying music - but I do. :) The DP-X1A revealed so many details in my music that it's hard to go back to anything less resolving. I just demand full HiRes sound from now on. (thanks DP-X1A:)

So to me currently there are only 2 serious mobile contenders (1 unit) on the market: The DP-X1A and NW-WM1A/Z. Everything else I heard had flaws in SQ that were impossible to ignore.

Have you tried DP-X1A? I am looking for some sound comparison on X5 iii and DP-X1A, but hard to find any.

May 13, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #14,459 of 16,326
Can anyone help me please? Why am I only getting sound out of the left channel? And it sounds like mono? I've attached pics hope you can view them, let me know please.

Attachments

• IMG_7352.JPG
    IMG_7352.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7363.JPG
    IMG_7363.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7364.JPG
    IMG_7364.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG