ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #14,461 of 16,326
I have both, what do you want to know?

I should say that its the first one (b) not A

I have the FiiO X5, which I use with my Andromedas, but there is some hissing. The sound also seems a bit warmer than my Dragonfly Red. I'm wondering what the sound signature is like and whether there's any hissing on both the balanced and single ending outputs for the Onkyo DP-X1A

May 14, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #14,462 of 16,326
I have the FiiO X5, which I use with my Andromedas, but there is some hissing. The sound also seems a bit warmer than my Dragonfly Red. I'm wondering what the sound signature is like and whether there's any hissing on both the balanced and single ending outputs for the Onkyo DP-X1A
I dont have any hissing when using my Alclair RSM CIEMs. I think the Onkyo sounds best with BAs with a slight hint of warmth.
If you like precise sound and clarity the Onkyo is the one for you. If you like a warmer smooth sound the X5iii would be it. Thats why I have both for the days I want one over the other. However my choice between the two would be the Onkyo.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #14,464 of 16,326
Hello !

A quite stupid but curious question...
I read somewhere SONY helped making corrections on a new Android in order to use their Bluetooth LDAC. Sorry, I do not remember where ! :wink:
Since the Onkyo dp-x1 uses one Android, do you think there are chances we could see this DAP sending LDAC one day ?

Does the Bluetooth LDAC need a special hardware or can it simply be coded onto an Android ?
Is Onkyo releasing system updates regularly or they already have given up ?

May 16, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #14,466 of 16,326
May 16, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #14,467 of 16,326
May 16, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #14,468 of 16,326
Very interesting. While I like that they're improving the wireless protocols to better support audio, I fear this will contribute to the current fashion of removing the headphone jack on smartphones.

I truly do not HOPE even if I think it will eventually happen.
You will then always need a DAC because Bluetooth is really not good for the moment. Even with the normal APTx...
My use of wireless and jack are two completely different uses.

Isn't the DP-X1 only on Android 5 Lollipop? That's two generations behind the current version, so I'd say it's wishful thinking that we'd get up to Android O.

I wish the DP-X1 would be upgraded up to Android O also for battery optimization. The next few systems from Onkyo should be backward compatible as for iOS devices; if they initially worked well on their API, they should be able to run a newer system on most DP-Xn DAPs. Until the cpu is too slow or they decide the obsolescence.
These are dreams anyway :)

May 16, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #14,469 of 16,326
I truly do not HOPE even if I think it will eventually happen.
You will then always need a DAC because Bluetooth is really not good for the moment. Even with the normal APTx...
My use of wireless and jack are two completely different uses.

I wish the DP-X1 would be upgraded up to Android O also for battery optimization. The next few systems from Onkyo should be backward compatible as for iOS devices; if they initially worked well on their API, they should be able to run a newer system on most DP-Xn DAPs. Until the cpu is too slow or they decide the obsolescence.
These are dreams anyway :)

Dreams are made for dreaming of things . My prediction: The vast majority of Android DAPs won't EVER be updated to a major Android Release. You already have this situation with Android Smartphones... And Android HiRes DAPs are such a (nice) niche product not being worth major S/W updates - from the manufacturers' point of view. Forget about LDAC as a S/W update for already existing models.

I would be really happy about an update allowing to disable charging of headphones connected by USB to the DAP. Because, this is truely a no-go . But, believe me, such an update will never come. And for sure, Onkyo won't give us an Android update to reduce battery drain. The H/W is sold, and every single manufacturer will stop developing any new models if they don't sell enouh .

May 17, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #14,470 of 16,326
Onkyo's USA website now shows the DP-X1A, list price $800.

May 17, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #14,471 of 16,326
Hi, anyone can get X-plore app (file manager on android) to gain write access to sd card? I want to delete some file from the DP-X1A but I am not able to get write access by following the insturction on the app

May 18, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #14,472 of 16,326
Anybody know about using Neutron and PowerAmp Beta is using the Hi-Res feature in DP-X1A? I am still reading page 610 and I just get my X1A

In Neutron, the Audio Hardware show Frequency is 48000 only, using Generic driver or not does not change

In PowerAmp, I have enable Hi-Res Output for Wired Headset/AUX but in the playback it shows the 96Khz Hi-Res is resampled to 48 16bit 48khz OpenSL ES Out - while playing the hi-res song, toggle Hi-Res output device will clearly show failed

I tried both Balanced and SE they are still the same

Any idea?

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #14,473 of 16,326
Hi guys I'm using the dp-x1 with a JH Roxanne. When not in low gain mode, the roxanne would produce a sharp buzz kinda like feedback? Is it because the Roxanne is rated at 15 ohms, 1 ohm below the recommended 16 ohms? It works ok in low gain mode but anything above 140 volume it'll buzz and it's quite annoying. Sent the iem for checks on the driver and it has no problems. Am using the 2.5 balanced out, running spotify.

May 19, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #14,474 of 16,326
Hi guys I'm using the dp-x1 with a JH Roxanne. When not in low gain mode, the roxanne would produce a sharp buzz kinda like feedback? Is it because the Roxanne is rated at 15 ohms, 1 ohm below the recommended 16 ohms? It works ok in low gain mode but anything above 140 volume it'll buzz and it's quite annoying. Sent the iem for checks on the driver and it has no problems. Am using the 2.5 balanced out, running spotify.
There are 4 gains, have tried the next one up?

May 19, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #14,475 of 16,326
Anybody know about using Neutron and PowerAmp Beta is using the Hi-Res feature in DP-X1A? I am still reading page 610 and I just get my X1A

In Neutron, the Audio Hardware show Frequency is 48000 only, using Generic driver or not does not change

In PowerAmp, I have enable Hi-Res Output for Wired Headset/AUX but in the playback it shows the 96Khz Hi-Res is resampled to 48 16bit 48khz OpenSL ES Out - while playing the hi-res song, toggle Hi-Res output device will clearly show failed

I tried both Balanced and SE they are still the same

Any idea?

Onkyo has stated (customer service replies) that the only way to get high res (i.e. using both DACs) is to use the Onkyo Music app. Any 3rd party music apps (that they are aware of) has to go through the Android audio system. Apparently, somehow, that prevents them from direct access to both DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back