ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 14, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #14,041 of 16,326

I have a related question (well, sort of related, anyway): for whatever reason my DP-X1 will not let me type into the search text box.  It always defaults to Google's speech-to-text dialogue box, and I can't find a way to get it to allow me to simply type.  There is an "X" to the right of the screen that should allow me to close it but that doesn't work.  Neither do any of the available buttons on the speech screen lead me to a way to change things.  

Does anybody know of a way to get to typing instead of speaking?

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #14,042 of 16,326

I have a related question (well, sort of related, anyway): for whatever reason my DP-X1 will not let me type into the search text box.  It always defaults to Google's speech-to-text dialogue box, and I can't find a way to get it to allow me to simply type.  There is an "X" to the right of the screen that should allow me to close it but that doesn't work.  Neither do any of the available buttons on the speech screen lead me to a way to change things.  

Yes. I had this happen to me also. You can change it by going to Settings -> Language and Input, then change Keyboard & Input methods from google voice typing to Android Keyboard (ASOP). Hope that helps. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #14,044 of 16,326

Yes. I had this happen to me also. You can change it by going to Settings -> Language and Input, then change Keyboard & Input methods from google voice typing to Android Keyboard (ASOP). Hope that helps. 

Thank you very much! That's really appreciated.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #14,045 of 16,326

I recently bought mine through best buy because of the warrantee, but something went wrong with the unbalanced output, it plays through both channels but for some reason both seem distanced especially the voice of audio, and I've deduced it must be the internal connection to just this output because the balanced output is fine and any headphone I try in the unbalanced has the same sort of distanced distortion. Anyways, my point is that ironically even though I got the two year warrantee for this exact reason, when I went to best buy to have it replaced, they said they were "sold out" but the geek squad guy said it was peculiar because it didn't say it was discontinued, but at the same time, it also didn't say when they would be in stock again. other than this instance, literally everything else with this player, and every other audio device I've gotten from best buy have been impeccable. This player is the best I've had in the 10 years of listening to digital music, and I wouldn't have any other device, except of course the Onkyo DP-X1-A which in fact has different internal components, as well as a boost of internal flash storage to 64gb, where as the original only has 32gb. Having said all of that, Best Buy may be waiting for a shipment of the "A" version of the device to be released in the US and thus may be why they let it run out of stock, but still didn't mark it as discontinued. Granted this is all speculation, but as a final word, Yes I do recommend going through best buy rather than Amazon because of the warrantee, which on all of my other devices have been a god-send, but you'll have to wait until they come back in stock again, perhaps even with the upgraded "A" version. 

Now, I will explain why it is that going with amazon and their sub-contracted warrantee is really not a good idea, that is unless you're extra careful about not letting it fall to the ground accidentally. So heres the story, I was a fool and didn't have a case on my first DP-X1, (I know, I know, I'm an idiot and I've learned my lesson about carrying around $600-$900 devices near hard surfaces when it only has a screen protector and no case on it, which my new one has both as well as an additional soft case it zips up into) but it fell from a height of 4 ft from a counter onto a metal wrung near the floor and shattered the screen. At the time I thought I was covered by the plan on amazon that was recommended for the device for drops, specifically because it said it was, but in the fine print, it says the drop protection only applies to tablets and cameras. So basically I had just thrown away $700 as well as an extra $80 for the amazon plan, which actually is just a 3rd party company that honors them, and in the end, I learned two very valuable lessons. The first lesson was that I should ALWAYS have an ample amount of protection for a device with such a costly price tag and that I should treat it with the care and handling of a small infant. The second lesson I learned is to find a warrantee plan that does what it says it does, and make sure it does by ALWAYS reading the fine print. Even with both precautions taken though, now I have a device that is only partially functional, even though I can find ways around the distorted output by either using balanced headphones or going from balanced to unbalanced to an amp that then goes to my regular unbalanced headphones, and although I have a super nifty plan which I know covers whats wrong with the device, it doesn't help me if Best Buy can't replace it because it's all sold out. Sigh, I'll keep checking every day to see if it is back in stock once again, but this entire endeavor is exhausting, and I just wish I could have my device and listen to it hassle free too. Alas... Rant over.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #14,047 of 16,326
For anyone on the fence for a new DAP, that has good software/UI and can stream tidal, spotify, etc... the Pioneer XDP-100R-K is on sale for 300$ on Amazon just went down from 400$ which was the price for a while from the MSRP of 699$ I believe. So, 100$ off is a pretty solid deal if I am just throwing my 2 cents in, and I know the onkyo has the better or at least more powerful amplifier as well as the balanced out for your earphones, but if you are not using hard to driver IEMs and or using a balanced cable with your headphone or IEM then I think this is a great idea for those still researching into buying. Either way onkyo or pioneer you have two great options for the price point

Thanks for sharing.
I purchased at a little under 450USD for my Onkyo recently via Amazon. I still regard the Onkyo as a big step up via balanced dual mono design and operation than what Pioneer offers.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #14,048 of 16,326
Thanks for sharing.
I purchased at a little under 450USD for my Onkyo recently via Amazon. I still regard the Onkyo as a big step up via balanced dual mono design and operation than what Pioneer offers.

Having listened to both extensively, I'd hardly call it a BIG step up, and for most people the extra $150 would be wasted. 

Don't get me wrong, they both sound great, but I certainly wouldn't be able to pick one out in a blind test.  

They're essentially the same unit, where the Onkyo doubles up the output stage to support balanced mode using the EXACT same components,  and using the EXACT same firmware

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #14,049 of 16,326
  Having listened to both extensively, I'd hardly call it a BIG step up, and for most people the extra $150 would be wasted. 

Don't get me wrong, they both sound great, but I certainly wouldn't be able to pick one out in a blind test.  

They're essentially the same unit, where the Onkyo doubles up the output stage to support balanced mode using the EXACT same components,  and using the EXACT same firmware

​wait, so let's say you had an HD650, you wouldn't consider the onkyo a big step up compared to the 100R?

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #14,052 of 16,326
  here is how to about unlocking your onkyo dp-x1. compiled twrp for our device and here is the guide.

prerequisites - fastboot + fastboot drivers for onkyo dp-x1.

okay, so here we go:

turn off your device.
turn it on holding backward and power buttons

connect it to pc.

in command line do 
and then you will see your device connected.

next thing - we verify that bootleader unlocked or not
pay attention to
if it is false - unlock your bootloader by

here is twrp 3.0.2-0 recovery:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9WN-DrZ4uGTa2tCNzRJNHROTmM/view?usp=sharing
md5:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9WN-DrZ4uGTMGJmUmtKTHdwaUU/view?usp=sharing

while you're at the bootloader, you can try to boot to your new twrp recovery by doing
if it is booting and working for you, you can replace stock recovery with it by flashing it from fastboot bootloader by
or by flashing image through twrp itself (available through menu)

WANT ROOT?

Flash SuperSU:
http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu-stable

alink sent me here said how to root AND get pioneer xdp 100r to use power amp the page shows root but i cant find how to make my pioneer use it

Again for peoples who want to use poweramp V3 first you need to be rooted the best way is to use the method from damex much better than king root you need to change the original recovery and replace it with Twrp from that you can just flash supersu http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/11130#post_12834357

Ok you are rooted you need to download a file explorer I am using Es file explorer you give it root access you open home Device system go to build prop look for
ro.product.manufacturer=O&P Innovations change O&P Innovations by  Meizu save it here you need root
after this go to home devices system etc  add a file name it audio_hifi.conf and the trick is to give it RW permissions in ES according to the pic and you should good to to go

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #14,054 of 16,326
Onkyo and Pioneer are the same from a firmware perspective.  

I find the global DSP Viper4Android much more preferable to the option of using the PowerAmp player.    Since it's a global system processor and not a player app, it works with local files as well as with all of the streaming services.  That makes it much more useful for me, and it also sounds amazing!

You'll need to root the device and install XVortex’s custom ROM, then install the global Viper4Android DSP.  

Instructions below…

(Lots of people contributed to this, but the majority of the credit goes to XVortex for developing the customized packages)

The following instructions have been aggregated from various sources, I just put the pieces together.  

1) Download the following files from XVortex to your Windows PC.

XVortex’s custom TWRP recovery image and tools for Pioneer\Onkyo.
https://mega.nz/#!k1EniTZT!Vc68r9kIERjt4MePfG-bCgveAWSpIWvXvw6skHskpL4

XVortex’s custom Pioneer/Onkyo rom DP-X1_0.1.37.8_VTX_Lite firmware for DP-X1 (speed optimized, debloated, pre-rooted)
https://mega.nz/#!BoUTmJ5Z!n2k5ArOa7sUzUVfmDUHCrmTjCVC8bvL_3Dpoe_Pit4o

XVortex’s most recent custom version of Viper4Android (2.5.0.5) 
https://mega.nz/#!w1cDRCBb!oydWeFF_jMkWOPgvHs3u40JzW1nK6UUrcVtBpSapj2I

2) Unzip the TWRP file, but leave all the others in ZIP format. Place everything in the same folder for easy access.

3) Enable Developer Options on your Pioneer.  Go to the settings menu, and scroll down to "About phone." Tap it.  Scroll down to the bottom again, where you see "Build number."  Tap it seven (7) times. After the third tap, you'll see a playful dialog that says you're four taps away from being a developer.  Keep on tapping, and *poof*, you've got the developer settings back.

4) You’ll now see a new Settings option called “Developer Options” and within you’ll see a setting called “USB Debugging”  -  Set this to enabled    

5) Install ES File Explorer App from the play store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

6) Ensure you have enabled "Unknown Sources".  This can be found by going to Settings --> Security --> Scroll down and under "Device Administration" make sure the "Unknown Sources" is checked.

7) Using the phone browser, download the Kingroot APK file at this url below….

https://kingroot.net/

It’s an exploit that infects the **** out of your device, but we’ll be wiping it shortly, so it doesn’t really matter.

8) Open ES File Explorer and open the downloaded KingRoot APK file.  You'll get a warning about this not being safe, with a little arrow.  Click on the arrow and click on "install anyway".  Once it is installed, click on "open".

9) Once the app is open, scroll down three screens and click on the "Try It" button.

10) Click on the big circle button to attempt root.  It will identify your device as a "DP-X1", and after a little bit it will say that there's no strategy.  That's okay.

11) Click on the new "run anyway" button.  This should take a few minutes.  Your device may reboot.  After a few minutes, you'll be told that you were successful.

We now have a rooted device but we’re only halfway done.

We’ll need a Windows machine and a USB cable to continue…

12) Shut down the device.  Boot the device into recovery mode by holding down PWR and Rewind simultaneously buttons. (you should see the penguin logo)

13) Connect the device to your PC and open the Windows “Device Manager”

14) You should see either “Android Device” or “DP-X1” with an exclamation mark somewhere.  Update the driver using the included USB driver in the TWRP zip downloaded earlier. 

15) Open a CMD prompt and navigate to the folder where you unzipped the TWRP files.

Enter the following commands

C:/TWRP/>  fastboot -i 0x0746 devices

You will see your device connected

C:/TWRP/>  fastboot -i 0x0746 boot recovery.img

The device should now reboot to the TWRP Menu, this may take some time.  (you also may need to reboot pressing PWR and FstFwD at the same time, but be patient)

16) Disconnect and Reconnect to the PC.  (You may need to install the Android driver again, also note that the name may change from “Android” to “DP-X1” or vice versa I
can’t remember)

C:/TWRP/>  adb devices

Should list the connected device like the previous step using fastboot.

C:/TWRP/>  adb push DP-X1_0.1.37.8_VTX_Lite.zip /sdcard/DP-X1_0.1.37.8_VTX_Lite.zip

(uploads the new custom firmware package to the device)

C:/TWRP/>  adb push ViPER4Android-2.5.0.5-20161016.zip /sdcard/ViPER4Android-2.5.0.5-20161016.zip

(uploads the custom V4A package to the device)

17) Within the TWRP menu, choose install and navigate to the /sdcard folder and choose DP-X1_0.1.37.8_VTX_Lite.zip.  Proceed to install.  

(we don’t install Viper4Android just yet.)

18) Shut down the device, and boot back into recovery.  Use the TWRP menu to wipe device before first boot.

19) Now boot the device normally and run through setup process.

20) Shut down the device

21) Boot the device into TWRP recovery again.

22) Install Viper4Android package from the /sdcard location

23) Reboot.

24) Turn off DSP in Music App to allow for V4A to take over.

25) Reboot.

26) In the device Settings, set the gain in settings to the lowest appropriate setting.

27) Open Viper and ensure it’s running by looking at the “Driver Status” option.  It should read “Processing: yes”  when playing audio.

28) Setup V4A (Template below)

1. MASTER POWER:
(i) V4A is powered on: 
color]

2. PLAYBACK CONTROL GAIN
(i) PlaybackAGC is enabled: ✘

3. SPECTRUM EXTENSION
(i) Spectrum extension is enabled: ✘

4. FIREQUALIZER
(i) FIREqualizer is enabled: 
color]

31hz +12db, 62hz +8db, 125hz +6db, 250hz +5db, 500hz +3db, 1khz +1.3db, 2khz +0db, 4khz +0db,  8khz 1.2db, 16khz +5db

5. CONVOLVER:
(i) Convolver is enabled: 
color]

(ii) Impulse Response
(iii) Cross Chanel: 10 Percent

6. FIELD SURROUND: ✘

7. DIFFERENTIAL SURROUND: ✘

8. HEADPHONE SURROUND+: ✘

9. REVERBERATION
color]

(i) Room Size: 32m2
(ii) Sound Field: 6m
(iii) Damping Factor: 70 Percent
(iv) Wet Signal: 11 Percent
(v) Dry Signal: 100 Percent

10. DYNAMIC SYSTEM:
Dynamic system is enabled: 
color]

(i) Select Listening Device: Common Earphone(v2)
(ii) Select Dynamic Bass: 12 Percent

11. TUBE SIMULATOR (6N1J): ✘

12. FIDELITY CONTROL
(i) Enable ViPER Bass: 
color]

Select Bass Mode: Natural Bass
Select Bass Frequency: 50 Hz
Select Bass Boost: 8 dB
(ii) Enable ViPER Clarity: 
color]

Select Clarity Mode: Ozone+
Select Clarity: 10 dB