ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 15, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #9,256 of 16,326
This is 100% EU demo unit from Polish distributor.

First, demo units are not generally sold to the public, but are demoed for public consumption.
A demo unit is just that, demo.
Some demo units of devices can become limited editions but are often sold second hand or at large discount (such as certain Astell and Kern AK Jr demo units with unique silk screening).

Second, as has been indicated from this thread and show reports, demo units have been around since late last year to many territories.
It maybe possible that new demo units come from the new batches of Onkyo DP-X1 after the manufacturing fix, but I do not believe there is a concrete way of knowing for sure except one: if the demo unit was from before March 2016, it's from an older batch.
Though I do not know when Onkyo changed manufacturing, between release date last year to around March all older batch units were manufactured the same way.
I wish I knew the exact month and date of change however.

Furthermore, I stress, strongly, to anyone who wishes to confirm information about official release date or timeline of when actual DP-X1 units will be available in the EU or UK territories (or your territory), contact Onkyo yourself.

Thank you.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #9,257 of 16,326
First, demo units are not generally sold to the public, but are demoed for public consumption.
A demo unit is just that, demo.
Some demo units of devices can become limited editions but are often sold second hand or at large discount (such as certain Astell and Kern AK Jr demo units with unique silk screening).

Second, as has been indicated from this thread and show reports, demo units have been around since late last year to many territories.
It maybe possible that new demo units come from the new batches of Onkyo DP-X1 after the manufacturing fix, but I do not believe there is a concrete way of knowing for sure except one: if the demo unit was from before March 2016, it's from an older batch.
Though I do not know when Onkyo changed manufacturing, between release date last year to around March all older batch units were manufactured the same way.
I wish I knew the exact month and date of change however.

Furthermore, I stress, strongly, to anyone who wishes to confirm information about official release date or timeline of when actual DP-X1 units will be available in the EU or UK territories (or your territory), contact Onkyo yourself.

Thank you.

Thanks for Your input in a thread, appreciate it. My unit came from Onkyo last week, I have no idea which batch is it. My distributor claims that sale units are set to be here till the end of the week.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #9,258 of 16,326
Thanks for Your input in a thread, appreciate it. My unit came from Onkyo last week, I have no idea which batch is it. My distributor claims that sale units are set to be here till the end of the week.

That's ok.

A personal wish of mine would have have been for Onkyo to recall any old units sent internationally to distributors or sales/promotional representatives, demo or otherwise, so that only new units would be made available and shown.
As we are weeks away from official new EU and UK units being available in each territory respectively, it's too late now.

My feeling is that distributors or sales/reps who have demo or older batch units are selling them fast so they can rely on new batch units.

As far as you should be concerned, if you bought your unit new in Poland, the distributor should hold up warranty for you.
However, I am unsure if Onkyo PL would do the same, or, they will do so begrudgingly because, again, as far as you are concerned, you bought a unit on Polish soil via an (official?) Onkyo distributor.

Please check with both your distributor and Onkyo PL.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #9,259 of 16,326
That's ok.

A personal wish of mine would have have been for Onkyo to recall any old units sent internationally to distributors or sales/promotional representatives, demo or otherwise, so that only new units would be made available and shown.
As we are weeks away from official new EU and UK units being available in each territory respectively, it's too late now.

My feeling is that distributors or sales/reps who have demo or older batch units are selling them fast so they can rely on new batch units.

As far as you should be concerned, if you bought your unit new in Poland, the distributor should hold up warranty for you.
However, I am unsure if Onkyo PL would do the same, or, they will do so begrudgingly because, again, as far as you are concerned, you bought a unit on Polish soil via an (official?) Onkyo distributor.

Please check with both your distributor and Onkyo PL.

This unit is still demo, I didn't buy this one. I preordered mine and still waiting for first batch for Poland. I did ask onkyo.pl today, with no response by now.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #9,260 of 16,326
This unit is still demo, I didn't buy this one. I preordered mine and still waiting for first batch for Poland. I did ask onkyo.pl today, with no response by now.

Please keep us posted, I'm sure we have many polish audiophiles and music lovers who would appreciate the input.

Of course, I advise to be patient and wait for official new units to arrive; at least you'll be be happier knowing you have something that is more robust, and full EU/PL warranty behind you too.

I cannot wait for you to enjoy this player!

Get some monster MicroSDXC cards too!
I'm hoping that, on payday at the end of this month, I can afford at least least one Samsung EVO Plus 256GB MicroSDXC card (currently I use 2x 128 GB SanDisk MicroSDXC cards, but will replace both with 256 GB, but not simultaneously as 256 GB is expensive).

Oh, take pics when you get your unit too!

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #9,262 of 16,326
  I have been a long time lurker in this, read the entire thread, but the problems with headphone jacks puzzles me.

TheOneInYellow said the EU units won't show up before end of june.

I have my DP-X1 from ebay germany. Bought on may 31th, i received what looks like a european version. On the box there is the following writing:

Importer in EU
Pioneer & Onkyo Europe GmbH
Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Straße 35
47877 Willich
Germany

There are EU EAN barcodes, as well as USA and Japan barcodes. There is writing in english, french and spanish.

The serial of my unit starts with 9027CJxxxx.

I checked both jacks and couldn't find any wiggle in either jack. All looks sturdy and firm. I hope have an item from the second batch.

English isn't my mother tongue, so be friendly with me.

Scotty

If you look at the photo All999 posted, you'll see a couple of characters associated with the EAN, UPC, and JAN barcodes. CD for USA, CP for Europe, and CJ for Japanese models. Your serial # has the CJ characters in it so one could reasonably assume that your model was manufactured for the Japanese market. To further back this up, All999's photo from Poland has a CP, or European, serial number. 

Thus, despite the English and European information on your box, you likely have a Japanese market DP-X1 without any of the updated manufacturing fixes.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #9,263 of 16,326
  If you look at the photo All999 posted, you'll see a couple of characters associated with the EAN, UPC, and JAN barcodes. CD for USA, CP for Europe, and CJ for Japanese models. Your serial # has the CJ characters in it so one could reasonably assume that your model was manufactured for the Japanese market. To further back this up, All999's photo from Poland has a CP, or European, serial number. 

Thus, despite the English and European information on your box, you likely have a Japanese market DP-X1 without any of the updated manufacturing fixes.

That sounds quite reasonable. Ok then, i will be very cautious connecting and disconnecting my headphones. TheOneInYellow mentioned that the first batch shows movement of the jacks from the beginning. I have none and hope that it will stay this way in the future.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #9,264 of 16,326
I have 200GB SanDisk and 128GB Samsung EVO. Works flawless. Onkyo just won my private battle with AK300:)

Listening now.

EXCELLENT! Thats cool dude!

I also see you have the Onkyo DPA-PUX1 leather case on that demo unit, but I strongly suggest getting a Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 leather case instead, as those are bespoke beautiful!

Also, get the Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector too!

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #9,265 of 16,326

EXCELLENT! Thats cool dude!

I also see you have the Onkyo DPA-PUX1 leather case on that demo unit, but I strongly suggest getting a Dignis Design LUNO DP-X1 leather case instead, as those are bespoke beautiful!

Also, get the Onkyo DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector too!

It might be a demo unit, but the case is mine:). I wasn't aware that Dignis made one for Onkyo while I was ordering mine. I'ts nice and does It's job well.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #9,266 of 16,326
Can anyone shed some more light on the differences between the Pioneer and Onkyo? I know on paper, they should be basically the same in sound quality via single ended but as is often the case, I am wondering if the Onkyo still sounds better.  I have no plans to go balanced at the moment so I am considering returning the Onkyo for the lower priced Pioneer.  Has anyone had and tested both?  Any other differences between the two that I should be aware of?  Anything that the Pioneer is better than the Onkyo in?  Thanks All.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #9,267 of 16,326
  Can anyone shed some more light on the differences between the Pioneer and Onkyo? I know on paper, they should be basically the same in sound quality via single ended but as is often the case, I am wondering if the Onkyo still sounds better.  I have no plans to go balanced at the moment so I am considering returning the Onkyo for the lower priced Pioneer.  Has anyone had and tested both?  Any other differences between the two that I should be aware of?  Anything that the Pioneer is better than the Onkyo in?  Thanks All.

I have tested both. The only thing I'm not sure now is the exact battery life of Onkyo, since I didn't test it, but I haven't noticed any differences in sound between both on SE.

Pioneer have better Music App.

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #9,268 of 16,326

That sounds quite reasonable. Ok then, i will be very cautious connecting and disconnecting my headphones. TheOneInYellow mentioned that the first batch shows movement of the jacks from the beginning. I have none and hope that it will stay this way in the future.

Just do the acrylic fix that Whitigir did and provided detailed instructions. It is easy, cheap and should result in greatly increased stability for the jacks. Even if you will get service under warrantry the expense and time sending, waiting will be far more costly than doing your own preventative fix.

Jun 15, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #9,270 of 16,326
Really disappointed hearing about these jack problems with the  Onkyo DP-X1. Ordered this item from Amazon, but the item is supplied by an outfit called "Buy Japan" (They have a 98% rating with Amazon so I thought the item would be okay. It's supposed to arrive Saturday. Now I'm very worried I'm getting a broken player with no way to return it. Afraid I trusted Amazon on this but should have avoided this product. Wonder if there's ANY way I can return this item and get a refund if it's broken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back