ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 15, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #9,227 of 16,326
Sorry, got busy.

Here's part two of @hansgw crazy monster DP-X1 storage on steroids (part 1 link here!):

wow!!!
eek.gif

just wow!

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #9,228 of 16,326
Ha ha, nice on first Orpheus HE90 choice
wink.gif

If you want to connect DP-X1 to Stax/any electrostatic headphone, there is a way...

The iFi Audio Pro iCan is a great upcoming amp with huge number of inputs and outputs, but eventually you can buy an iFi Audio Electrostatic Headphone Energiser add-on for the Pro iCan.

All you will need then is a 2.5 mm TRRS to dual 3-Pin XLR interconnect cable to connect DP-X1 to Pro iCan, get that energiser add-on when it's out, and then connect electrostatic headphones!

Sources:
  1. HiFi Philosophy (in English)
  2. Samma3a

You're welcome <3

Yes, I like first Orpheus much more than new one. New one reminds me .... kitchen tool with lot of spices bottles :)

Done... X1 - SRM-T1 (tubes) - Stax Lambda Signature ...... Just one comment - went to bed only at 3 (morning).  Feeling like after hot night with Monica Bellucci :)

Ifi - looks nice, but I do not believe in small and light amplifiers for electrostatic headphones. By my opinion Stax MUST be amplified by tubes (retrograde again :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #9,229 of 16,326
Yes, I like first Orpheus much more than new one. New one reminds me .... kitchen tool with lot of spices bottles :)

Ha ha ha, a TOTL spice box! I can see that now; lmao!

Done... X1 - SRM-T1 (tubes) - Stax Lambda Signature ...... Just one comment - went to bed only at 3 (morning).  Feeling like after hot night with Monica Bellucci :)

So, you had a good night, eh? He he he :wink:

Ifi - looks nice, but I do not believe in small and light amplifiers for electrostatic headphones. By my opinion Stax MUST be amplified by tubes (retrograde again :)

Erm, some points:

The iFi Audio Pro iCan is very, very light, to the point where this has been considered a criticism.
The reviews posted in my post indicate that plugging in cables (input or output) will move the amplifier.

iFi Audio Pro iCan has NOS General Electric 5690 vacuum tubes, but the amp can be used in various modes:

• Solid-state only via J-FET and MOS-FET transistors
  • Hybrid of J-FET, MOS-FET and NOS GE 5690 tubes WITH maximum feedback
  • Hybrid of J-FET, MOS-FET and NOS GE 5690 tubes WITHOUT feedback

Also, the Pro iCan is overall very compact compared to the competition, especially when we consider power output (4.8W unbalanced, 14W balanced!).
However, without the iFi Audio Electrostatic Headphone Energiser module, I cannot say how much room the entire system may take up/require.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #9,230 of 16,326
Ha ha ha, a TOTL spice box! I can see that now; lmao!
So, you had a good night, eh? He he he
wink.gif

Erm, some points:

The iFi Audio Pro iCan is very, very light, to the point where this has been considered a criticism.
The reviews posted in my post indicate that plugging in cables (input or output) will move the amplifier.

iFi Audio Pro iCan has NOS General Electric 5690 vacuum tubes, but the amp can be used in various modes:
  1. Solid-state only via J-FET and MOS-FET transistors
  2. Hybrid of J-FET, MOS-FET and NOS GE 5690 tubes WITH maximum feedback
  3. Hybrid of J-FET, MOS-FET and NOS GE 5690 tubes WITHOUT feedback

Also, the Pro iCan is overall very compact compared to the competition, especially when we consider power output (4.8W unbalanced, 14W balanced!).
However, without the iFi Audio Electrostatic Headphone Energiser module, I cannot say how much room the entire system may take up/require.

Yes, night was really nice :)

Looked inside iFi - miniaturization really impressive. But still - tubes are in horizontal position - not sure that it is the best position, taking into account lightness of unit (vibration issues) - by my opinion, not the perfect solution. But versatility, space saving - of course impressive. Perhaps I would use additional external power supply - old school retrograde. Energizer - not big thing (Stax made portable amp - when will be available SRM-003 - then with X1 - perhaps best mobile sound possible (not counting crazy priced Shure experiment :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #9,232 of 16,326
I talked to a online store in UK since is on their site, but they claim is not avaible in UK even is on their site

they say there is technical issues with Onkyo DP-X1 can someone verify this

This is the email i got from the store

So this is the reason why i cant find Onkyo DP-X1 almost anywhere in europe

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #9,233 of 16,326
I talked to a online store in UK since is on their site, but they claim is not avaible in UK even is on their site

they say there is technical issues with Onkyo DP-X1 can someone verify this

This is the email i got from the store

So this is the reason why i cant find Onkyo DP-X1 almost anywhere in europe

Almost true, just a tad outdated.

Onkyo UK is waiting for stock of new batches of updated DP-X1 units to arrive (these have been manufactured differently).

The email you got kinda indicates this, but the question is when did they get told about the technical issues?

Onkyo UK have explained to me a lot about this subject, and I've posted the most relevant aspects, but what I could not determine is the time frame when production was stopped (older defective jack manufacturing) and restarted (stronger, better jack plastic housings).

However, all that is important is that the UK, EU and US are getting the newer units to official distributors first.
Any non-official distributors either import themselves, or have other means of securing units (older or newer).

I should add, Onkyo UK expects new units at the end of this month. That is an official timeline.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #9,234 of 16,326
They say they never have recived Onkyo DP-X1 in UK the one they got has this fault

This is a new email i recived now

Is a failure with intermittent sound / faulty jack socket
can someone else pinpoint this failure

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #9,235 of 16,326
Only somewhat related. I have one of the new ONKYO headphones, the H500BT and after a few weeks listening I'm going to review it of course. It seems to have a very similar DAC to the DP-X1 in terms of tonality and detail. I realize that I'm hearing the amp and headphones as well, but as much as I can ascribe things to the DAC I still feel it has a very similar sound which is a positive in my book.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #9,236 of 16,326
They say they never have recived Onkyo DP-X1 in UK the one they got has this fault

This is a new email i recived now

Is a failure with intermittent sound / faulty jack socket
can someone else pinpoint this failure

bluedolphin, I have covered this in my post above and in an earlier post, but I'll try and be more clear.

The original issue was hardware/QC, as failure rates were very high for original Japanese Onkyo DP-X1 batches.
On those older units, there was an issue of plastic jack housings cracking or breaking in either 3.5 mm or 2.5 mm outputs (predominantly the latter). The original design had weak plastic.

This issue has, according to Onkyo UK, been resolved.

The wait for new stock in all international territories was due to this issue being fixed first.

Onkyo EU and UK (and to a lesser degree US) are going to receive new units of re-manufactured Onkyo DP-X1.
The lesser degree for US is because they have received the stronger units already.

The first international territory to have received the new units was the US. They should have had stock of these from last month.
The time frame for the EU and UK is at the end of June 2016 (this month).
Please remember, only official distributors are getting the new units first in all territories.

Thus, no international, officially authorised Onkyo distributor will have stock of the new units in the EU or UK prior to the end of June 2016.
If any official EU or UK distributor does have an Onkyo DP-X1 unit, it is most likely an older batch, UNLESS they very recently imported the new Japanese batches.

I would wait for the stock of new units to arrive before trying to secure any unit in the EU or UK.

[Edited post with corrections and further clarification].

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #9,237 of 16,326
@bluedolphin, I have covered this in my post above and in an earlier post, but I'll try and be more clear.

The original issue was hardware/QC, as failure rates were very high for original Japanese Onkyo DP-X1 batches.
On those older units, there was an issue of plastic jack housings cracking or breaking in either 3.5 mm or 2.5 mm outputs (predominantly the latter). The original design had weak plastic.

This issue has, according to Onkyo UK, been resolved.

The wait for new stock in all international territories was due to this issue being fixed first.

Onkyo EU and UK (and to a lesser degree US) are going to receive new units of re-manufactured Onkyo DP-X1.
The lesser degree for US is because they have received the stronger units already.

The first international territory to have received the new units was the US. They should have had stock of these from last month.
The time frame of for the EU and UK is at the end of June 2016 (this month).
Please remember, only official distributors are getting the new units first in all territories.

Thus, no international, officially authorised Onkyo distributor will have stock of thee new units in the EU or UK at present, or before.

I would wait for the stock of new units to arrive before trying to secure any unit in the EU or UK.

I am sorry if this is not directly related to DPX1, but do you know if this also fixes the jack issues which i read in the pioneer XDP100R forum?

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #9,238 of 16,326
I am sorry if this is not directly related to DPX1, but do you know if this also fixes the jack issues which i read in the pioneer XDP100R forum?

First up, I slightly edited my post (had to fix issues and and further clarification).
You can edited and re-quote me if you wish, but my edited post should make better sense.

Now, though I would like to say yes, the truth is that I do not know.

Though the DP-X1 and XDP-100R share similar bodies, thus some manufacturing will be the same, I cannot in good faith be 100% on this.

I would really hope that O&P Innovations (Onkyo & Pioneer's parent company) really did check both units and made sure both were fit for international release after fixing the DP-X1 issues.

Please contact Pioneer EU/UK, via email or Twitter.

(Just to add, I had no idea XDP-100R had physical issues at all till your post).

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #9,239 of 16,326
Update from my side with my Japanese DP-X1 unit:

Ordered on Nov 2015, shipped out Jan 2016 via PriceJapan.

I had initially thought it was just the angled 3.5mm trs Neutrik plug that came with my ciems that wasn't up to spec, since it would unplug itself by the tiniest of movement and cause play pause as it detected headphones plug removal automatically. I had posted about this issue with photo deep in this thread.

Well turns out it happened again with another angled 3.5mm TRS plug of another cable, this the big tankish oyaide one. But I had again dismissed it and pinned it against the angled type plug which more easily makes rotation movement due to the cable angle. Because when I was using the tiny straight stock Noble cable I didn't get any issue, and also with the small factor angled plug of the Fiio EX-1, it worked fine without any unwanted pausing...

Well now it's been the 3rd week now that I can't use the EX-1 with the DP-X1 because it now too unplug itself all the time and way to fast. Within seconds of putting it in a pocket I start to get small snappy tick sounds while music plays because of connection movement and within a moment later the doomed auto pause because it unplugged itself 1mm which is enough for the player to detect it causing headphone disconnection...

My dilemma now is that I only have the 2.5mms TRRS jack that works flawlessly -for the time being- with the Eidolic straight spacious barrel which sits flush against the DP-X1 and doesn't move and is gripped nicely inside.

My fear is that I'll start to get the same issue with my balanced output sooner or later. And even if it never happens I basically have a devalued unit as I can't expect to resell it in the future if the main 3.5mm TRS output is not working well.

I'm inclined to ship it back on my expense to pricejapan while I still have 5 months of local warranty. Trouble is, I don't know if Kaneda-San recovered or not.

Edit: I also tried each cable with my other dap, the Cowon plenue d which thankfully works perfectly (knock on wood)

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #9,240 of 16,326
Update from my side with my Japanese DP-X1 unit:

Ordered on Nov 2015, shipped out Jan 2016 via PriceJapan.

I had initially thought it was just the angled 3.5mm trs Neutrik plug that came with my ciems that wasn't up to spec, since it would unplug itself by the tiniest of movement and cause play pause as it detected headphones plug removal automatically. I had posted about this issue with photo deep in this thread.

Well turns out it happened again with another angled 3.5mm TRS plug of another cable, this the big tankish oyaide one. But I had again dismissed it and pinned it against the angled type plug which more easily makes rotation movement due to the cable angle. Because when I was using the tiny straight stock Noble cable I didn't get any issue, and also with the small factor angled plug of the Fiio EX-1, it worked fine without any unwanted pausing...

Well now it's been the 3rd week now that I can't use the EX-1 with the DP-X1 because it now too unplug itself all the time and way to fast. Within seconds of putting it in a pocket I start to get small snappy tick sounds while music plays because of connection movement and within a moment later the doomed auto pause because it unplugged itself 1mm which is enough for the player to detect it causing headphone disconnection...

My dilemma now is that I only have the 2.5mms TRRS jack that works flawlessly -for the time being- with the Eidolic straight spacious barrel which sits flush against the DP-X1 and doesn't move and is gripped nicely inside.

My fear is that I'll start to get the same issue with my balanced output sooner or later. And even if it never happens I basically have a devalued unit as I can't expect to resell it in the future if the main 3.5mm TRS output is not working well.

I'm inclined to ship it back on my expense to pricejapan while I still have 5 months of local warranty. Trouble is, I don't know if Kaneda-San recovered or not.

Edit: I also tried each cable with my other dap, the Cowon plenue d which thankfully works perfectly (knock on wood)

I had a similar issue. I don’t have any 2.5mm cable, only 3.5mm. in my case, there would sometimes be no audio output out of the 3.5mm jack. If I twist the jack slightly the audio would return.  Also the headphone icon would disappear when there are connection issues. I took it to onkyo servicing and they said they replaced the jack. So far I’ve had no issues (about one week). where i had connection issues i also noticed that straight plugs were less susceptible, 90 degree plugs were more prone to problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back