ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 13, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #7,171 of 16,326
  The only ones I know of are linked here......

Thank you so much. I was successful today in purchasing a couple of albums from US Onkyo Music. I also bought an album from 2L Music Store online, even though they are in Norway. This is just the beginning of something really big. The fact that these MQA files sound perfect and do not take up huge amounts of space are a game changer. Hope all labels get on board. 

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #7,172 of 16,326

Thank you so much. I was successful today in purchasing a couple of albums from US Onkyo Music. I also bought an album from 2L Music Store online, even though they are in Norway. This is just the beginning of something really big. The fact that these MQA files sound perfect and do not take up huge amounts of space are a game changer. Hope all labels get on board. 

Are they smaller than the FLAC version would be?

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #7,173 of 16,326

Would this be relevant?
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/miska/some-analysis-and-comparison-mqa-encoded-flac-vs-normal-optimized-hires-flac-674/

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #7,174 of 16,326
I'll be very straight.

Last time I discussed the topics you bring up, I was effectively bullied off this thread by a certain number of Head-Fi'ers (two specific individuals mainly), members who, repeatedly, would not disclose information on their gear in why they were getting (supposed) issues, which made it hard for anyone to do a peer-to-peer constructive tests to find a solution.
More so, the work I put in to answer and test their issues was later ridiculed and cruelly manipulated by the same individuals. They remained coy in repeatedly being non-forthcoming in very important areas of discussion, and worst, would rather ask us and manufactures to fix issues that could not be verified fully, and their dismissal to actually contact manufacturers and app developers themselves.

I left this thread and Head-Fi on a hiatus because in doing all I could to help, what they did is simply bully, and I have better things to do than help pseudo-trolls.

Sigh...

I'll go out on a limb here, and presume I am one of the individuals aforementioned, given that we had a rather heated discussion prior to your hiatus.
Whilst I am deeply saddened that you would brand me as a "pseudo-troll" (and I do not take kindly to it), I would still like to elucidate the actual facts of the matter, for clarity.

1. The initial issue was apparent distortion in third party apps which does not appear on the stock app, and a test track was even provided then, by earfonia. However, "the work you put in to answer and test their issues" never included a comparison with the stock app.
  2. To elucidate: Why is comparison necessary? Simple. To establish cause and effect in a study, we need to do an experiment. This is done simply by conducting the test in which all factors stay the same save one (i.e different apps, but same player, music file, etc.)
  3. You had surmised that the issue would only occur in DSP-based apps like Neutron, and not in apps like Play Music. All you had to do for your hypotheses to retain some validity was provide a test track for the case, similar to what earfonia did, where the distortion would not appear on apps like Play Music but would still turn up on GoneMad/Neutron, etc. Sadly, this was never done. And yet, I had tried Youtube, Play music, etc. to the same effect.
  4. All this culminated in post #3719, where you indeed reported hearing distortion on Tidal/OMA with your Heir 4.Ai. (If I might point out, this again did not include any comparisons to the stock music app), and you made the conclusion that "Distortion occurred at Normal and High Gain but that was to do with bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's. I refuse outright to ever test my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's at High Gain on this DAP, and most probably any other audio equipment." (take note this occurred at normal listening volumes) which was a conclusion that could not be justified by the evidence that you had put forth.
  5. Some individuals had pointed out that the above conclusion could not be the case (which I surmise would be your so-called "ridicule"). I had suggested you do a comparison with the stock app in post #3737. After all, if the distortion was indeed due to the IEMs, then it would be present on the stock app as well. Instead, this went ignored and you went on your 'hiatus'.

So that's the facts of the matter right there.
The 'bullying' done by 'pseudo-trolls' was simply forumers trying to correct your incorrect statements.
Trying to show that your opinion that the issue was only with DSP-based apps was not a fact, but an unverified hypothesis.
Trying to tell you that your opinion that the distortion you observed was "due to bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's" simply could not be.

If you wish to believe you were "bullied" off this thread, so be it.
I believe the facts presented here will provide a clear representation of what happened back then.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #7,175 of 16,326
What was the sample rate of the test file that distorted in third party apps?

This is a test I run on any android device intended for audio:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/audio-resampler-quality-android-builds-t3325779

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 14, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #7,176 of 16,326
I'll go out on a limb here, and presume I am one of the individuals aforementioned, given that we had a rather heated discussion prior to your hiatus.
Whilst I am deeply saddened that you would brand me as a "pseudo-troll" (and I do not take kindly to it), I would still like to elucidate the actual facts of the matter, for clarity.

• The initial issue was apparent distortion in third party apps which does not appear on the stock app, and a test track was even provided then, by earfonia. However, "the work you put in to answer and test their issues" never included a comparison with the stock app.
  • To elucidate: Why is comparison necessary? Simple. To establish cause and effect in a study, we need to do an experiment. This is done simply by conducting the test in which all factors stay the same save one (i.e different apps, but same player, music file, etc.)
  • You had surmised that the issue would only occur in DSP-based apps like Neutron, and not in apps like Play Music. All you had to do for your hypotheses to retain some validity was provide a test track for the case, similar to what earfonia did, where the distortion would not appear on apps like Play Music but would still turn up on GoneMad/Neutron, etc. Sadly, this was never done. And yet, I had tried Youtube, Play music, etc. to the same effect.
  • All this culminated in post #3719, where you indeed reported hearing distortion on Tidal/OMA with your Heir 4.Ai. (If I might point out, this again did not include any comparisons to the stock music app), and you made the conclusion that "Distortion occurred at Normal and High Gain but that was to do with bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's. I refuse outright to ever test my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's at High Gain on this DAP, and most probably any other audio equipment." (take note this occurred at normal listening volumes) which was a conclusion that could not be justified by the evidence that you had put forth.
  • Some individuals had pointed out that the above conclusion could not be the case (which I surmise would be your so-called "ridicule"). I had suggested you do a comparison with the stock app in post #3737. After all, if the distortion was indeed due to the IEMs, then it would be present on the stock app as well. Instead, this went ignored and you went on your 'hiatus'.

So that's the facts of the matter right there.
The 'bullying' done by 'pseudo-trolls' was simply forumers trying to correct your incorrect statements.

Trying to show that your opinion that the issue was only with DSP-based apps was not a fact, but an unverified hypothesis.
Trying to tell you that your opinion that the distortion you observed was "due to bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's" simplycould not be.

If you wish to believe you were "bullied" off this thread, so be it.
I believe the facts presented here will provide a clear representation of what happened back then.

Ok, just going to say, we butted heads.

When I recently spoke to x RELIC x, though we disagreed on some stuff, but I agreed much on his posts, we didn't butt heads.

That's the difference.
Our talks Zenifyx became quite mean, from both our ends. That acidic nature was not great for the forum.

As I did then, and as of this post #7142, if I am to continue to talk about the digital audio player I love, I am respectively removing myself from this particular topic.

Furthermore, though the topic itself is related to the DP-X1, I believe it is better suited in a more suitable separate thread (existing or to be created).

So, for the last time, I would like to not only clear the air, but put this matter behind both of us.
I am willing to extend my olive branch, and hope you will respond in (positive) kind.

Thank you.

(If you still disagree, hit me up with a PM. That would allow this thread to continue as is).

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #7,177 of 16,326

Ok, just going to say, we butted heads.

When I recently spoke to @x RELIC x, though we disagreed on some stuff, but I agreed much on his posts, we didn't butt heads.

That's the difference.
Our talks @Zenifyx became quite mean, from both our ends. That acidic nature was not great for the forum.

As I did then, and as of this post #7142, if I am to continue to talk about the digital audio player I love, I am respectively removing myself from this particular topic.

Furthermore, though the topic itself is related to the DP-X1, I believe it is better suited in a more suitable separate thread (existing or to be created).

So, for the last time, I would like to not only clear the air, but put this matter behind both of us.
I am willing to extend my olive branch, and hope you will respond in (positive) kind.

Thank you.

(If you still disagree, hit me up with a PM. That would allow this thread to continue as is).

I think you misunderstood.
My intention was not to reboot that discussion, but simply to illuminate the facts on the so-called 'pseudo-trolls' who 'bullied you off the forums' - They were simply people who did not take your point of view. Disagreed with you. In your words, butted heads with you.

But I do not recall anyone ever being offensive to you, called you names, trolling or even effectively bullying you off the forums.
You simply did that to yourself in an argument you could not win. An hypothesis you could not prove.
So really, is it fair to call them "pseudo-trolls" just because they 'butted heads' with you?
So people who 'butt heads' with you are now branded 'pseudo-trolls'?

If you are indeed willing to extend an olive branch, I do believe an apology is in order.
Not for the discussion back then, but for the unjustified name-calling and accusations that has occurred here, in the present.

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #7,178 of 16,326
What was the sample rate of the test file that distorted in third party apps?

This is a test I run on any android device intended for audio:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/audio-resampler-quality-android-builds-t3325779

Sorry, can't really check as I'm outdoors atm.
The relevant post is here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/2250#post_12176766

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #7,179 of 16,326

I had a demo at the Meridian stand at a recent event in January this year and they had a huge library of music, I think there were 100+ tracks form about 60+ artists
They sounded very good and like you say it's the file size that helps and that they can be played as 24Bit 44.1 Khz FLAC, ALAC or WAV on players that cannot decode MQA files.

A win, win (well once there is a larger library of available content)
dt880smile.png

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #7,180 of 16,326

No they are bigger than 16Bit 44.1Khz FLAC as they carry additional information. But smaller than comparable 24/96 or 24/192

Performer From the albumStereo
24BIT/352.8kHz
Stereo 
24BIT/192kHz
Stereo 
24BIT/96kHz
MQA stereo 
original resolution
CD
16BIT/44kHz
5.1 Surround
24BIT/96kHz
Stereo DSD 256
11.2896Mbit/s
Stereo DSD 128
5.6448Mbit/s
Stereo DSD 64
2.8224Mbit/s
5.1 Surround 
DSD 64
2.8224Mbit/s

Original
Source

Arnesen: MAGNIFICAT 4. Et misericordia
Nidarosdomens jentekor & TrondheimSolistene
9:24MAGNIFICAT (2L-106-SABD)410 MB185 MB90 MB50 MB23 MB215 MB840 MB420 MB210 MB630 MBDXD

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #7,181 of 16,326
For MQA testing, I downloaded the 30MB classical title and played on my Momentum On-ear M2.  I am surprised that even my small on-ear headphone can play really good classical music.  It seems like MQA did make my headphone one class better in performance.

My friend while in traveling also played the same MQA title with his earphone. He was surprised by its performance too.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #7,184 of 16,326
Recently I started getting alot of EMI noise (at least that's what it sounds like) through running Tidal and Spotify apps on the dpx1.  Switching over to playing music from my SD card whether it be MQA, FLAC, AIFF I don't hear this "noise".  At first I thought it may be coming from my Linum balanced cables for my Noble 6 iems but I then switched to my stock cables and I still heard the "noise".  My question, is anyone experiencing this when running Spotify or Tidal?  When I say I recently heard this noise from Tidal and Spotify, is because I can't remember experiencing this when I first received the player and using stock cables only.  I pretty much bought this player for running Tidal and Spotify and I would hate to return it because playback of all hi-res music sounds so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back