ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 26, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #5,881 of 16,326
thank. So it is not confirmed by onkyo ?

- runcinq -

Exactly as you said - There is no info about that.
Onkyo has never commented whether such a feature is in the works.
I would not get my hopes up.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #5,882 of 16,326

I would not get my hopes up.

Come on, no harm in hoping, be an optimist..... I know, who knows, but if FiiO can pull it off you can reasonably think ONKYO can as well. Anyway, I will hope, more for others as I have no need of this feature, but I know others would love to see it happen. So come on ONKYO, make the masses happy!

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #5,884 of 16,326
I would like Onkyo to:
1) Fix/enable gapless playback.  Admittedly, the track change is quick but still audible.
2) The ability to play through folders (albums) during folder play.
3) Either fix or eliminate the spectrum analyzer animation on both the EQ screen and the playback screen.  As best I can tell, the spectrum display is running about 0.5 sec ahead of the audio.  I would think that is a lot of wasted computing power for something that isn't working properly.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #5,885 of 16,326
  I would like Onkyo to:
1) Fix/enable gapless playback.  Admittedly, the track change is quick but still audible.
2) The ability to play through folders (albums) during folder play.
3) Either fix or eliminate the spectrum analyzer animation on both the EQ screen and the playback screen.  As best I can tell, the spectrum display is running about 0.5 sec ahead of the audio.  I would think that is a lot of wasted computing power for something that isn't working properly.

I have gapless playback?

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #5,887 of 16,326
I'm a metal head and I kinda hate concerts, the sound sucks most of the time or way too loud for my delicate ears
Or maybe I'm getting old
biggrin.gif

Buy some custom in ear defenders best money Ive spent I can actually hear the music properly and what the bands are saying and I don't spend the next day with ringing in my ears, kicking myself I didn't do it years ago!

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #5,888 of 16,326
  I don't know if gapless playback was implemented with the Onkyo but it would be a nice option.  If gapless playback has been implemented then it isn't working properly.

Works flawlessly on my files. I have many albums that blend songs and I haven't had an issue yet?

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #5,889 of 16,326
  I don't know if gapless playback was implemented with the Onkyo but it would be a nice option.  If gapless playback has been implemented then it isn't working properly.

That was something I was really concerned about as lack of gapless flac drives me mad, no problems so far with the Onkyo. Also as a side note Id ordered the Onkyo case and then regretted it when I saw pictures of the Diginis case and wished Id been able to cancel as photos of the Onkyo case looked cheap to me. Well it turned up today and I'm really pleased, much better in real life really nice quality. Obviously cant say how it compares to the other but now Ive no regrets
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #5,890 of 16,326
Hmmmm. OK.  Thank you for the replies.  I'll go back and check my files and setup and see if the problem persists.  The track(s) I use for testing are from The Beatles' "Abbey Road" (2009 remaster).  In that mastering (not other, earlier, masterings) the engineers inserted a track change in an odd place between "Polythene Pam" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" -- the music was ongoing and rather loud.  There should be no hint of silence, mute, pause, click, or interruption.  And I hear it.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #5,891 of 16,326
  Hmmmm. OK.  Thank you for the replies.  I'll go back and check my files and setup and see if the problem persists.  The track(s) I use for testing are from The Beatles' "Abbey Road" (2009 remaster).  In that mastering (not other, earlier, masterings) the engineers inserted a track change in an odd place between "Polythene Pam" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" -- the music was ongoing and rather loud.  There should be no hint of silence, mute, pause, click, or interruption.  And I hear it.

Sounds like an issue with the mastering and the way they needed to achieve this effect. If that is the only place you have issues I think you have your answer.

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5,892 of 16,326
It's not only those tracks but those tracks are my "test" to see if gapless is really working.  Other android devices running Rockbox or Shuttle play the tracks perfectly while some other devices/software that are supposedly "gapless" don't.

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #5,893 of 16,326
Yes for same price x7 have it. It could be useful.

- runcinq -

AK I00 IIi is also in this price range with balanced output, USB DAC function....Onkyo, please add USB DAC and give me a final reason to choose the DP-X1
beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #5,894 of 16,326
  AK I00 IIi is also in this price range with balanced output, USB DAC function....Onkyo, please add USB DAC and give me a final reason to choose the DP-X1
beerchug.gif

Well, to be fair, AK 100 II can't do streaming :p
I have no doubt USB DAC is not too hard to implement and will happen eventually (maybe April for international launch)

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #5,895 of 16,326
I'm planning to get a proper portable audio setup sorted out this year. Budget (probably) going to be limited to around £1'000 - £1'500 or so.
I was thinking something along the lines of Mojo, Onkyo DP-X1 and an IEM like the Savant or Rosie.

My reasoning being that (with the exception of the too-new Rosie?), they've all been reported as having good synergies together, and even when used with the Mojo, the DP-X1 seems an excellent and flexible transport, with the added bonus of also being able to explore balanced IEM's later and use it as an excellent standalone DAP from time to time when weight/bulk is an issue.

The best choice of IEM's seems to be the issue here, since I'm fairly sure after reading the entire threads of both the DP-X1 and Mojo that they are definitely what I'm after.
I love the reported flexibility of the DP-X1 in terms of all the ways the sound can be tinkered with and customised.
Part of my issue is that I'm still trying to figure out exactly what sound signature I like most. I like bass, sometimes even a lot, but not so much that is bloats and drowns the mids or makes the sound too unbalanced.
I love hearing detail and separation in the songs I listen to, especially where it reveals new details to me that I hadn't previously noticed.
I'm not sure about listening fatigue, warmth vs neutrality and so on. I think the benefit of this set up is that the Mojo sound signature sounds like something I'd love, but the DP-X1 gives me a chance to try something rather different and with the added bonus of playing with the settings to further customise the sound and try new things!

Obviously I'll endeavour to 'try before I buy'; possibly even at the next UK CanJam (assuming another one takes place this summer!)
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back