ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 25, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #5,866 of 16,326
Installed the new soft. Checked the folder-browsing option...
It is helpful, but not so critical (at least to me).

If you have well organized database ex. "by composer"; then you do not need folder browsing...

But maybe in pop/rock music this option is needed.
I listen only classical/baroque music.
Interesting...

My archive of pop/rock music is organized by performer/album, also tagged, and it's mostly enough. But for classical, I have a dedicated HDD, NTFS formatted, with extensive use of softlinks, so that several "folders" may refer to the same file, to have the music organized by composers, performers, soloists, conductors, recording labels etc. This allows me to easily find e.g. RCA Living Stereo recording of Mussorgsky, or Mozart conducted by Karajan, or an opera with Callas or by Verdi. I can't imagine its access any other way but by folders...

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,867 of 16,326
Interesting...

My archive of pop/rock music is organized by performer/album, also tagged, and it's mostly enough. But for classical, I have a dedicated HDD, NTFS formatted, with extensive use of softlinks, so that several "folders" may refer to the same file, to have the music organized by composers, performers, soloists, conductors, recording labels etc. This allows me to easily find e.g. RCA Living Stereo recording of Mussorgsky, or Mozart conducted by Karajan, or an opera with Callas or by Verdi. I can't imagine its access any other way but by folders...

Yes, well I think your needs are different than many, but it is without a doubt a very positive thing that folder browsing is here. Next up is USB DAC functionality, and I'm quite sure this is in the works as I'm an optimist.

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #5,868 of 16,326

It did for me, but I maybe didn't format with the correct options from my Mac when I had to select scheme (GUID or MBR) . Fat32 should work fine with Android. My decision to reformat in the device is to make sure it is formatted correctly for the device. Same thing I do with my SD cards for my digital camera.

You may want to test with another card just to be sure. Also keep in mind that Android will write system files to each card so not sure if your Plenue will ignore it or not.

Glad to report that both my 128GB and 200GB Fat32 formatted cards worked on the onkyo. No fuss at all. moved it back to my Plenue D and it reads it without any fuss.

The unit responsiveness seems to be better then when I handled one of the first units out back in Dec? Good firmware improvements by Onkyo.  

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #5,869 of 16,326

Yes, well I think your needs are different than many, but it is without a doubt a very positive thing that folder browsing is here. Next up is USB DAC functionality, and I'm quite sure this is in the works as I'm an optimist.

Balanced output, TOTL sound, folder browsing, USB DAC, 2 card slots, nice size / resolution screen and UI that doesn't suck...now that would tick all of my "must have" boxes. If the International release adds USB DAC functionality and corrects the 2.5 balanced socket build issue, I am 100% in, even if the price is somewhat higher than currently available in Japan. There are certainly cheaper DAP's (the Luxury and Precision L3 on Indiegogo is intriguing) or the AK 100II which come close, but I too am an optimist and holding out hope for the DP-X1 to put all the pieces together soon, at which point it will be well-worth my hard-earned money!

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #5,870 of 16,326
Just updated mine to latest version today and yes, the folder browsing option is there. I was always big in this so finally great to have it but truth be told, given the effort i spent on properly organizing my music (album/artist/genre etc etc) few months back (for proper loading in audiverna), i didnt really feel the need for it. But its there as an option now, so all good. And good to know that Onkyo listens to customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #5,871 of 16,326
Just a quick follow up on my unmounting card issue, I ran disk utility on my Mac to verify and repair the sd card, it seems like it has worked.
Note that the DP-X1 formats sd card to extFat by default, mine is extFat.

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #5,872 of 16,326

Installed the new soft. Checked the folder-browsing option...
It is helpful, but not so critical (at least to me).

If you have well organized database ex. "by composer"; then you do not need folder browsing...

But maybe in pop/rock music this option is needed.
I listen only classical/baroque music.

I too listen to Classical/Baroque music and my music is tagged and organised by Composer, Artist etc.but MY preferences are for folder browsing as I also listen to other genres
as in life in general, we all choose how we manage things, so I will have a separate folder for DSD, WAV, FLAC, 24 Bit, 16 Bit etc and I will know that my CD Rips will be in my 16 Bit folder and within that folder the CD ripped will have it's own folder. For me I can find the album I am looking for by artist a lot easier this way than scrolling through the 1000's of artists currently listed in my 300 Gb of music on my DP-X1. I hear you say why not search for Album? I personally cannot usually remember album titles, but I do know what artist. You then may say well why not search for Artist. Well in my case I may have a FLAC and DSD version of the same Album for times if I move the SD card to my AK100 which performs better IMO with FLAC/WAV than it does with DSD.

What I am trying to say here is that for my personal use it has nothing to do with tagging, for my needs Folder Browsing takes me exactly where I want to be in the fewer steps I prefer.

I think many may will respond to the line
"If you have well organized database ex. "by composer"; then you do not need folder browsing..."

IMO that should have read  
"I have a well organized database ex. "by composer"; therefore I do not need folder browsing..."

As your needs differ from mine as I am sure from many others along with those who have no need for folder browsing. The difference is we now have the option 

See, I just have to call you on that as that attitude seems very elitist, dismissive and frankly denigrating to those of us who prefer to think of music as an ongoing part of the human experience. If you chose to see music as frozen in time my good man all I can say is that a mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.

Well said

I'm sure darekpawel did not intend to denigrate anyone but I do agree with you that a joy of music is that it is part of the ongoing continuum of what it is to be alive today. I always feel that if I don't "like" a genre then it is my loss. I really struggle with opera for example but obviously that is my problem not opera!

Each to their own, I personally just like music, I am not too particular as to what it is labelled as.

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #5,873 of 16,326
Someone on this thread (or another; can't remember exactly lol) posted a link to an article on music writen/played in 440Hz vs 432Hz.
The article was something completely new to me, opened my eyes to a whole new aspect of music of which I had previously been blissfully ignorant and gave me much food for thought. Regrettably, whilst doing so, I also felt overwhelmed with argument and counter argument and technical/musical jargon that mostly went over my head.

What also was new to me were some of the comments from hardcore 'classical only' fans underneath.
Here's a particularly juicy 'prime cut' for you to masticate upon :p
"I argue that you guys don’t realize one thing: over 99.5% of people who have grown up with ‘music’ (at least in the USA) have no clue about the difference made by a few hertz shift in tone. They also have zero musical sophistication, preferring music that goes I V I V I V I to music that actually moves. You can’t just use regular people in this study because they have no understanding of what they hear. Plus they can’t really identify with 440 Hz versus 432 Hz because most of them are absolute rookies when it comes to music. They only know anything about ‘music,’ in which they normally only really pay attention to the words and don’t understand at all how the melodies, bass, counterpoints, etc affect the emotional sense of the tune. Plus, most modern music has so little music in it. Counterpoint is basically gone in the 21st century UNLESS you’re a music scholar or a classical / postclassical musician"

Of course, he's right in that I have no idea about the difference made by a few Hertz shift in tone (theoretically, although I strongly suspect I could hear/feel the difference, even if I didn't understand the reasons why). Similarly, I have no idea as to whether I prefer music that goes I V I V I V I because I've no idea what that means :p
I'm *sure* he must be mistaken that counterpoint is non-existent in the 21st century outside of classical music, but since I don't know what counterpoint actually is, I have no way of finding songs to refute his argument
biggrin.gif

Having said all of this, I do feel I am extremely musically sensitive. The previously unnoticed details I identify in songs when I have got a good new piece of audio equipment, and my sense when something is "off" or just different is very finely tuned and acute I believe.
His argument seems to be predicated upon the assumption that lack of theoretical knowledge (and professional experience perhaps) leave one unable to discern musical subtleties or structural changes in the composition of a song.
To employ a loose analogy, as someone with a love of science (although patchy in my knowledge), I can absolutely say that deeper understanding of theory leads to deeper understanding and appreciation of real world phenomena. However, to extend that argument to claim that the proletariat are fundamentally unable to discern the effects of centripetal force, gravity or pitch shifting would be to merely parade my own ignorance and prejudice.
I might not understand the physics (for example) of circular motion, but I know that I feel a pull in a certain direction when a car goes around a corner.
And if my fingers slip whilst climbing a tree, a PhD in aeronautical engineering is not required in order for my mind to extrapolate information from my situation and determine that the ground is rushing to embrace me like a loving mother, a long-lost brother, or an extra-marital lover. (humour)
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #5,874 of 16,326
And just to add, and with apologies if I'm straying too far from the sacred path of 'on topic', but the obvious flaw in the classical musician's argument above is that he dismisses all music outside of his preferred genre and refuses to listen to it. Therefore, it's safe to say, his exposure to any music of the present or last century would be limited to that which he heard played in shopping centres/malls, adverts, and other forms of passive listening. I'd argue that in such situations, he would likely have only been exposed to music that, by necessity, was as simple and catchy as possible (not that there's anything inherently wrong with such songs either), further compounding his prejudices.

Also, I love reading the stories behind great bands and musicians.
A terrific documentary film I recommend highly is "Standing in the shadows of Motown", in which we find that the music on a great many (if not the majority) of Motown hits was composed and played by a previously unsung and unheralded group of session musicians, who had a terrific talent and chemistry and abiltiy to churn out hit songs in their sleep :)
What's interesting is that most of them came from a Jazz background (possibly some Blues too). So they started with Jazz, and created something that evolved into the Motown sound.
And in the interviews, some of them talk about moving into Jazz after growing up listening to classical music (the piano player modelled his left hand playing on Rachmaninov).

And in another (in places excellent) but rather different documentary "The Art of Rap", a rapper reknowned for his complex and evocative lyrics talks about growing up listeing to Jazz and how it's ability to tell stories and convey emotions without words challenged him as a rapper.
Other artists also talk about Jazz, Blues, Motown and Funk and how it inspired them and how they used it in their own music later. They talk too about the structure and theory of actually writing complex rap compositions, absolutely fascinating to me.

This of course should be nothing new to anyone with an interest in music that spans more that one genre, and of course, even in a single overarching genre such as 'Rock', we see this same process at work. And I'd argue, something of a universal ebb and flow in musical tastes/fashion related to simplicity or complexity in one's music.

Anyway, live and let live as ever. But I've heard countless rock/acoustic songs that stagger or delight me with their complexity and brilliance, much more than most/all classical pieces I've ever heard. Thanks for bearing with my own personal rant lol.
And if someone could cite examples of counterpoint being employed in modern rock songs, I'd be enormously grateful
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #5,877 of 16,326
  Just a quick follow up on my unmounting card issue, I ran disk utility on my Mac to verify and repair the sd card, it seems like it has worked.
Note that the DP-X1 formats sd card to extFat by default, mine is extFat.

Hi David,

Lucky you, you got your hands on the anticipated new toy ! Where did you get it from France? Pricejapan?

Question for you (and for the actual users) :

Does the onkyo application support directly SACD ISO or do we need to split into DSF / DFF files?
Does the sound quality between the onkyo playing app, and others app like Hiby Music sound different? (ie, do we know how onkyo bypasses the android downsampling, and if the app can bitstream data for native decoding from the DAC) ?

Did you try DLNA / streaming with sensitive IEM or Cans? Any EMI issue so far with wifi so far?

Thank you for your reply

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #5,878 of 16,326
Make sure you support your favourite bands by attending their live gigs, especially if they're not mainstream. I'm watching Between the Buried and Me right now. Sounds so much better than any DAC or DAP

I'm a metal head and I kinda hate concerts, the sound sucks most of the time or way too loud for my delicate ears
Or maybe I'm getting old :D

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #5,879 of 16,326
Hello.

It is possible to use it as external USB DAC like Fiio X7 ?
There is ni info about that.
Thank

Envoyé de mon SM-T520 en utilisant Tapatalk

Not now, but it likely to happen in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back