ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 25, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #5,806 of 16,326
Is this a new function?

Flac file transfer to mojo using DSD 5.6 Mhz. The white light on mojo indicating it is working with DSD.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #5,808 of 16,326
Hey guys, I have had my unit for just about a week now, and today I decided to use it with my Jambox. With great difficulty it connected (it would only recognize the Jambox if I put the DP-X1 right next to it, almost touching distance).

However the signal would start to break up badly when the player more than 6 inches away, has anyone had issues with their bluetooth? (I also noticed that my WiFi is unusually weak, already adjusted 5ghz band, but it's weak for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz) I'm starting to think I may have an hardware issue where the antenna may not be connected properly or at all. Which I've seen with my laptop in the past.

Wishful thinking has me hoping that it's more common because of software issue.....I know....wishful right.....

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #5,809 of 16,326
Is this a new function?

Flac file transfer to mojo using DSD 5.6 Mhz. The white light on mojo indicating it is working with DSD.

It's not new.
The option has been in the settings menu since the start iirc.

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #5,810 of 16,326
The most concerned issue about the balanced Jack has happened. The player slipped from my pocket and fell towards the ground, fortunately the headphone cord attached prevented it from hitting the ground, but at the same time I think it has put enough stress to cause movement on the output to probably somewhat detach one of the joints from the MB. I no longer have sound from it, but it seems to be still in place. Now I have to rely on the SE output.  Being a unit from Japan, I think I maybe out of luck for warranty.  
For DP-X1 users, you really really have to be extra careful when using this unit.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #5,811 of 16,326
  The most concerned issue about the balanced Jack has happened. The player slipped from my pocket and fell towards the ground, fortunately the headphone cord attached prevented it from hitting the ground, but at the same time I think it has put enough stress to cause movement on the output to probably somewhat detach one of the joints from the MB. I no longer have sound from it, but it seems to be still in place. Now I have to rely on the SE output.  Being a unit from Japan, I think I maybe out of luck for warranty.  
For DP-X1 users, you really really have to be extra careful when using this unit.

Just throwing around ideas but have you checked your balance cable as well? The force may have broken the cable instead of the jack.

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #5,812 of 16,326
I suspect it's the input, because currently it has sunken abt 1mm into the hole/case. I have attached images for your review.  Before the incident, the top of the 2.5mm input was flushed with the case, just like the current SE input.  I'm able to get sound when I apply pressure on headphone jack and lean the input towards the back of the unit.  It IS possible that it maybe a cable issue, but I've closely inspected my cable, and everything seems fine. Unfortunately I don't have a second cable to try out.

24619535774_603e848610_k.jpg

24623384543_691ed09b2d_k.jpg

Feb 25, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #5,813 of 16,326
I suspect it's the input, because currently it has sunken abt 1mm into the hole/case. Unfortunately I'm not able to post pics here.
Before the incident, the top of the 2.5mm input was flushed with the case, just like the current SE input.  I'm able to get sound when I apply pressure on headphone jack and lean the input towards the back of the unit.  It IS possible that it maybe a cable issue, but I've closely inspected my cable, and everything seems fine. Unfortunately I don't have a second cable to try out.

Feb 25, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #5,814 of 16,326
  Do you ask thinking that the SoC can't perform MQA, or just wondering why not utilize the hardware DAC on the DP-X1?

I was really just asking how it's implemented. Not important just wondering.

Some clarification here.

1. The issues in question are not that of stuttering, but rather that of distortion.
I'll leave you to search the thread at your own convenience.

2. The Snapdragon SoC's DAC can only come into play if it was implemented intentionally by Onkyo's engineers. (otherwise there would be no path for the signal to travel to the amp)
I do not believe that to be the case, but do feel free to prove me wrong.
Barring lesser known brands, I only know of the LG V10 which has such a capability, and that itself is intentionally implemented.

3. MQA is simply a file container.
The audio stream input to the DAC will still be a PCM stream.

1. I was refering to my own experience which is the stuttering, I have not heard or sort to find any distortion
2. I really don't know and was asking the question
3. Again asking how this will be implemented and tied in with No.2 for example if the 2xSabre DACs are used then no issue.

Alas as no one knows definitively how the DACs are used hence the question.

Out of interest, can you output Tidal streams over USB if you access it via UAPP?

Yes UAPP works quite well with Tidal and no upsampling by default.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #5,816 of 16,326
  I suspect it's the input, because currently it has sunken abt 1mm into the hole/case. Unfortunately I'm not able to post pics here.
Before the incident, the top of the 2.5mm input was flushed with the case, just like the current SE input.  I'm able to get sound when I apply pressure on headphone jack and lean the input towards the back of the unit.  It IS possible that it maybe a cable issue, but I've closely inspected my cable, and everything seems fine. Unfortunately I don't have a second cable to try out.

Does it look like this one 
wink_face.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #5,817 of 16,326

Send it in for warranty, the device sockets seemingly got pushed too hard and plied away from the soldering terminals on the PcB

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #5,818 of 16,326
these problems make me happy that I'm waiting for US release so I can have a warranty.  Sad that something like this is happening at all.  

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #5,819 of 16,326
Hence I specifically wrote about it in my review. It could be secured by the use of acrylic when done right.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/onkyo-hi-res-sound-source-corresponding-digital-audio-player-32gb-dp-x1/reviews/15089

Video here of how bad it move vs when filled and secured. Onkyo can easily use plastic to secure it

http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/3885#post_12267120

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #5,820 of 16,326
I went the Music-Sanctuary booth at CanJam SG and I was told that some Singaporeans actually moded their DP-X1 with 3.5mm TRRS socket, is it true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back