ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 24, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #5,791 of 16,326
  Here's what I have found comparing My LG G4 that has a Snapdragon 808 with DP-X1. While playing Depeche Mode' Policy of Truth in 5.6 MHz DSD using Onkyo HF player, all six cores were active and the CPU use was around 18%. Playing the same file on DP-X1, only core 1 and 4 were active in both SE and balanced mode, with CPU use around 30%. It looks like something is doing the work of decoding that 1.2GB song on the DAP since 2 cores don't bother waking up :)

I have used CPU-Z to monitor CPU use.

That seems conflicting, forgive if I'm missing the obvious. So if all four cores on the LG are working, but the CPU use was 18%, but the CPU was used more on the DP-X1 (30%), even if it is only two cores, doesn't that support at least some of the processing for the HF Player happening on the CPU?

Edit: unless the relative strength difference between the CPUs was such that 30% on the 801 is essentially equivalent to 18% 0n the 808.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #5,794 of 16,326
Can you compare with the stock Onkyo player playing a file as compared with the HF player. Thanks. We would expect to see no difference between the players playing the same file if no extra processing was done on the CPU, which we all seem to agree seems to be the safe assumption.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #5,796 of 16,326
On the DAP? No, as I don't run HF on that. I'm reluctant to install it as it might conflict with the default player

How about downloading the trial version of another program to compare? Actually I have the XTZ app on my system. I can disable it's DSP and install the CPU-Z on my Onkyo. Why don't I do that?

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #5,798 of 16,326
I just compared on my DP-X1 and with the stock player and the XTZ player there appeared to be no difference as expected. At first it seemed otherwise, but I just kept testing. The CPU use of course changes constantly  but it appeared to be the same. Same number of cores in use as well, and same cores.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #5,799 of 16,326
  Tidal playing HD file (offline album): G4 6 cores on, CPU use  30%, DP-X1 core 1 and 4 active only, CPU use 12%.

How do you get a static core use number? My core use % field changes constantly so I have to look for the relative use and make a judgement. Is there a setting to get an averaged use percentage?

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #5,801 of 16,326
I just looked at Tidal with offline content and it appears to be a very similar CPU load so again this would support the theory that all music apps seem to use the CPU the same. I may download Neutron again and test, but that is a pain in the ass and I should be doing some school work.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #5,803 of 16,326
Bought my first IEM. It is a local brand from HK and cost only $50 usd.

Nice, based on some recommendations I just ordered a LZ Z03A today myself. Apparently the Z03A sounds excellent despite the price. I'll see. I didn't want to risk much money as historically it is almost impossible to get things to fit inside my ear so we will see.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #5,804 of 16,326
Nice, based on some recommendations I just ordered a LZ Z03A today myself. Apparently the Z03A sounds excellent despite the price. I'll see. I didn't want to risk much money as historically it is almost impossible to get things to fit inside my ear so we will see.

It is good to try some small brand for fun.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #5,805 of 16,326
Don't forget to vote in the poll thread about your experience with Tidal and the DP-X1.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799485/poll-thread-tidal-streaming-and-onkyo-dp-x1#post_12370755

Thanks to those who have. I do think there was one vote registered as a DP-X1/Tidal issue when it seems like it might be something else. I'm trying to get my head around this. One person posted he only gets distortion with Tidal, but also only when he uses the balanced out. That defies what we seem to have established in that Tidal uses the exact same audio output path so if that is the case there can be no special interaction between Tidal and the balanced circuitry. That would suggest it is a hardware issue and really it should show up even without Tidal being used. I can't see how that is a Tidal/DP-X1 interaction fault. I might be missing something of course so feel free to suggest away. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back