ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 25, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #5,821 of 16,326

thank you..those are indeed my pics. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #5,822 of 16,326
I went the Music-Sanctuary booth at CanJam SG and I was told that some Singaporeans actually moded their DP-X1 with 3.5mm TRRS socket, is it true?

Could possibly be done. The 2.5mm socket port were made for 3.5mm. That is why there is such a huge gap. Even if fixed, you can bore the shield a little larger....open up the screen, and then re-solder 2.5 to 3.5mm ? But why go to such length ? If a person who can be so handy, he can always reterminated his 3.5 TRRS to 2.5 TRRS ? Unless if he wanted to also fill up the gap....but that is too extreme lol

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #5,823 of 16,326
@Whitigir It's not about reterminating the headphone/IEM it's about having a more secure jack I guess. I was thinking of going that way IF... IF... someday, I somehow dropped my DP-X1 while using the 2.5mm TRRS. Having a thicker jack should provide better durability right?

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #5,824 of 16,326
Send it in for warranty, the device sockets seemingly got pushed too hard and plied away from the soldering terminals on the PcB

Funny thing is, I didn't push on the socket at all.  Like I said, it fell from my pocket and I kept it from falling by pulling on my headphone cord, and when I retrieved it, the socket has sunken in.  I do agree with you that the terminals maybe plied away from the PCB.  Unfortunately mine was bought online from Japan, and it doesn't have international warranty.  I called my local Onkyo dealer, and they just simply said that they won't fix anything that's not from local distribution, even if I paid money, they won't fix it.  I'm trying to a way to send it back to Japan to get it fix, but will need a local Japan address for correspondent I think. 

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #5,825 of 16,326

1. I was refering to my own experience which is the stuttering, I have not heard or sort to find any distortion
2. I really don't know and was asking the question
3. Again asking how this will be implemented and tied in with No.2 for example if the 2xSabre DACs are used then no issue.

Alas as no one knows definitively how the DACs are used hence the question.

You answered a question on issues with streaming specific to the DP-X1.
I was simply pointing out that he was probably referring to the distortion issue, rather than stuttering.

Also, with MQA, the DACs would simply act no different from, let's say, a FLAC file.
The only difference is the encoding/decoding of the file format, the input to the DAC will still simply be a PCM stream.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #5,826 of 16,326
@Whitigir
 It's not about reterminating the headphone/IEM it's about having a more secure jack I guess. I was thinking of going that way IF... IF... someday, I somehow dropped my DP-X1 while using the 2.5mm TRRS. Having a thicker jack should provide better durability right?

Yeah...that is kinda extreme lol....you can fill it up with acrylic from Walmart, and that was what I did on the video linked above

Funny thing is, I didn't push on the socket at all.  Like I said, it fell from my pocket and I kept it from falling by pulling on my headphone cord, and when I retrieved it, the socket has sunken in.  I do agree with you that the terminals maybe plied away from the PCB.  Unfortunately mine was bought online from Japan, and it doesn't have international warranty.  I called my local Onkyo dealer, and they just simply said that they won't fix anything that's not from local distribution, even if I paid money, they won't fix it.  I'm trying to a way to send it back to Japan to get it fix, but will need a local Japan address for correspondent I think. 

I totally believe this, because from the way it look and according to my experiences....the 2.5mm if not secured, the inevitable thing "will" happen. I couldn't stretch it enough before, and especially with purchases from Japan. You can try and contact your agent in Japan ? But why wait until these problems happen ? Fix it with acrylic, and have a peace of mind. I am sure the guy who bought my player had neither "interferences problem" nor "insecure socket" because acrylic isolation and secure bonds :D

Not to mention that soldered terminal is never meant to be flexing, so having the jack flex laterally back and forth after so many times would crack up and loosen away from the PCB, resulting in signal cutting in and out if not just a total ruined socket to begin with.

[VIDEO][https://youtu.be/YhIP6UxwNSI/VIDEO]

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #5,827 of 16,326
I totally believe this, because from the way it look and according to my experiences....the 2.5mm if not secured, the inevitable thing "will" happen. I couldn't stretch it enough before, and especially with purchases from Japan. You can try and contact your agent in Japan ? But why wait until these problems happen ? Fix it with acrylic, and have a peace of mind. I am sure the guy who bought my player had neither "interferences problem" nor "insecure socket" because acrylic isolation and secure bonds 
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I saw your acrylic solution when you 1st posted it here, but I just never got around to it, I guess laziness has a cost. 
triportsad.gif

I got it through amazon japan, still trying figure out their return policy/warranty and such, not much info on that site. Will figure something out, or just settle with the SE I guess.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #5,830 of 16,326
Mine is just fine, it doesn't have huge gap :smile:

Damn, you are lucky, or Onkyo fixed it. When did you purchase it ? It looked like Onkyo fixed it from your picture. It does look that the port opened on the 2.5 was reduced accordingly, so they fixed it.

Scary stories... What's that acrylic stuff you are referring to?

Acrylic nail kit from Walmart

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #5,831 of 16,326
Yeah, I saw your acrylic solution when you 1st posted it here, but I just never got around to it, I guess laziness has a cost. :triportsad:  
I got it through amazon japan, still trying figure out their return policy/warranty and such, not much info on that site. Will figure something out, or just settle with the SE I guess.

Or you can bring it to the Tv repair guys or electronic repair shop and ask them to fix it for you. It is a simple re-solder Job that require "heating up" the glues to detach the screen and fix it....not hard :D

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #5,834 of 16,326
Or you can bring it to the Tv repair guys or electronic repair shop and ask them to fix it for you. It is a simple re-solder Job that require "heating up" the glues to detach the screen and fix it....not hard
biggrin.gif

That actually sounds hard if they have no idea where to apply the heat, plus I doubt any repair shop would touch it without some kind of technical document to guide them as they would be unfamiliar with it and worried about damaging it. You never know, somebody may do it, couldn't hurt to ask.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #5,835 of 16,326
Damn, you are lucky, or Onkyo fixed it. When did you purchase it ? It looked like Onkyo fixed it from your picture. It does look that the port opened on the 2.5 was reduced accordingly, so they fixed it.

Acrylic nail kit from Walmart

Thanks, I'll look into it. But it seems that my unit bought this month also has the "fixed" 2.5 as the gap is not there / similar to that pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back