ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 17, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #3,706 of 16,326
A question about file navigation on the DP-X1.

My DAP experience is limited to iPod/iPhone and the Colorfly C3.
Also the Fidelia app running on my Macbook.

My usual way of listening to music is to make a playlist, e.g. "Relaxing Music" with various songs inside.
I then listen to that playlist, with the songs set to play in random order.

When uploading music to the C3, I (laboriously) did so by creating folders on the micro-SD card, e.g. a "Relaxing Music" folder, then dragging all the files into it which featured in the original playlist I'd made on Fidelia (which meant hunting around for each song in my music library folder, which is sorted by artist/album).

Now, I've heard people saying something about the DP-X1 not supporting folder playback or something?
Without having ever seen the device, I'm not quite sure how one goes about using it then?

Could anyone advise on whether it's possible on the DP-X1 to play music in my preferred way (and put them in folders on the player via a micro SD card in the first place)?
If yes, how do I do that?
And if not, how I could do it instead?

Note that I sometimes wish to navigate to particular songs in a playlist, or to just play songs from a particular album.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all the many contributors on here.
This includes Whitigir - I'd never heard about the Sony player and was intrigued to hear about it, especially in comparison to the DP-X1.
Whilst I'd agree to some extent that the Sony player (ironically, I can't remember it's name) was perhaps over-discussed in this thread, I've absolutely enjoyed reading Whitigir's posts and appreciate his/her (?) contributions, good humour and passion! The same goes for "BFlat".
One of the best things about reading this epic thread (which I finally finished today!) has been the way disagreements and misunderstandings have been humbly and warmly reconciled.
As stated before, I guess we're all here because of a shared love of music and a passion to seek out the best ways in which to experience that music to it's fullest extent
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #3,707 of 16,326
  A question about file navigation on the DP-X1.

My DAP experience is limited to iPod/iPhone and the Colorfly C3.
Also the Fidelia app running on my Macbook.

My usual way of listening to music is to make a playlist, e.g. "Relaxing Music" with various songs inside.
I then listen to that playlist, with the songs set to play in random order.

When uploading music to the C3, I (laboriously) did so by creating folders on the micro-SD card, e.g. a "Relaxing Music" folder, then dragging all the files into it which featured in the original playlist I'd made on Fidelia (which meant hunting around for each song in my music library folder, which is sorted by artist/album).

Now, I've heard people saying something about the DP-X1 not supporting folder playback or something?
Without having ever seen the device, I'm not quite sure how one goes about using it then?

Could anyone advise on whether it's possible on the DP-X1 to play music in my preferred way (and put them in folders on the player via a micro SD card in the first place)?
If yes, how do I do that?
And if not, how I could do it instead?

Note that I sometimes wish to navigate to particular songs in a playlist, or to just play songs from a particular album.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all the many contributors on here.
This includes Whitigir - I'd never heard about the Sony player and was intrigued to hear about it, especially in comparison to the DP-X1.
Whilst I'd agree to some extent that the Sony player (ironically, I can't remember it's name) was perhaps over-discussed in this thread, I've absolutely enjoyed reading Whitigir's posts and appreciate his/her (?) contributions, good humour and passion! The same goes for "BFlat".
One of the best things about reading this epic thread (which I finally finished today!) has been the way disagreements and misunderstandings have been humbly and warmly reconciled.
As stated before, I guess we're all here because of a shared love of music and a passion to seek out the best ways in which to experience that music to it's fullest extent
biggrin.gif

The DP-X1 is an Android player, so you may install a third-party player that may support folder browsing.
However, there are currently yet-to-be resolved issues for third-party players, which I shall not elaborate on.
Thus it is advised to use the stock player as of now.

The stock player has no folder browsing, it is however able to sort your music by Playlists, Artists, Songs (simply displays all songs), Albums, Genres, Compilations, Composers, and Format.
In your case, you may simply use playlists for music playback.
The stock player can definitely read m3u playlists (not sure about what format Fidelia uses), so all you need to do is transfer your files and playlists to the player and sync.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,708 of 16,326
Someone can give me some light?

I was almost buying the new Onkyo DP-X1, but I read about problems with music streaming apps and now I am really confuse.
The priority is music streaming, but I want to store music, and the Onkyo will be nice because have two slots for memory card.

My options are the DP-X1, ZX2, Luxury & Precision L5Pro and the Acustic Research M2. Anyone already had the same doubt? I appreciate the help.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #3,709 of 16,326
I was almost buying the new Onkyo DP-X1, but I read about problems with music streaming apps and now I am really confuse.
The priority is music streaming, but I want to store music, and the Onkyo will be nice because have two slots for memory card.

My options are the DP-X1, ZX2, Luxury & Precision L5Pro and the Acustic Research M2. Anyone already had the same doubt? I appreciate the help.

Right now reports of issues with streaming service only concern some users, mainly hissing while streaming. Others have reported streaming working perfectly fine and I think it's the majority so far. Nothing to do with FiiO X7 hardware / EMI issues but more likely something happening on the software side with 3rd party apps not doing a proper job using the DAC. The cause is stil the object of many theories right now (I have lost track of what the consensus is, if any...).

I had the ZX2 and sold it, I hate the proprietary connector which makes for a cumbersome experience if you want to use a DAC/amp on top, and it lacks power to drive more difficult headphones. I looked into the AR M2 too, very powerful (400mW @ 32ohm) but the big issue with it is not USB audio out, and it would seem the sound is not as refined as the DP-X1 (although it doesn't offer a balanced out). L5Pro is highly regarded in the community, but no streaming capability a different product.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #3,710 of 16,326

If you read carefully I think it is only one or two people have reported issues like this, and that doesn't mean the issue isn't with the users environment and not the DP-X1. My streaming is fine. I keep asking for those who experience problems to post and so far nobody has except for the two I mentioned. This suggests if the problem is with the Onkyo, it is very few units that might have an issue, which with electronics is always possible. I wouldn't over-react. Get the DAP from your list that satisfies what you want and need the most.

Jan 17, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #3,711 of 16,326
To our resident dp-X1 pro TheOneInYellow, any idea how the current firmware handles cue files? I've got LOADS of classical albums that have all the songs in a single file, along with a cue file which allows my FiiO x5 to index them as individual songs. The last I tried the Onkyo on the earlier firmware, it could not read these files as separate files. Any idea if this has changed? Thanks :)

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #3,712 of 16,326
There has been a lot on my plate that I haven't had a chance to get my head in gear, but I'll do some quick replies and then go in depth later...

To our resident dp-X1 pro TheOneInYellow, any idea how the current firmware handles cue files? I've got LOADS of classical albums that have all the songs in a single file, along with a cue file which allows my FiiO x5 to index them as individual songs. The last I tried the Onkyo on the earlier firmware, it could not read these files as separate files. Any idea if this has changed? Thanks :)

Aww, thanks for the love and bro'ness dude! ^^

In regards to firmware, Zenifyx is totally right; you cannot reverse firmware via factory reset, and you'll need to do some techy things to do it.
I spent a crap tonne on my DP-X1 so I'm not gonna use my geeky rooty ways and tinker with it; sorry, not taking one for the team (if it was purchased in the UK with UK warranty then I might have done...).

As far as I am aware, the default Onkyo DP-X1 Music App will not read CUE files, but fear NOT, my young padawan...
On my PC, when I used to use CUE files (MANY moons ago), I also used software to split my large FLAC files if I needed to.
My favourite software is Medieval CUE Splitter, basically the best IMO as it's easy and damn quick!
Split your CUE into multiple audio files and use on DP-X1 as albums, best solution at present.

The DP-X1 is an Android player, so you may install a third-party player that may support folder browsing.
However, there are currently yet-to-be resolved issues for third-party players, which I shall not elaborate on.
Thus it is advised to use the stock player as of now.

The stock player has no folder browsing, it is however able to sort your music by Playlists, Artists, Songs (simply displays all songs), Albums, Genres, Compilations, Composers, and Format.
In your case, you may simply use playlists for music playback.
The stock player can definitely read m3u playlists (not sure about what format Fidelia uses), so all you need to do is transfer your files and playlists to the player and sync.

What Zenifyx said.
You can play music by selecting the following tabs in the default app:

Playlists:

Artists:

Songs:

Albums:

Genres:

Compilations:

Composers:

Format:

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,713 of 16,326

Acoustic Sounds has the Michael Jackson Thriller album in DSD.

The usual problem
I'm in the UK Acoustic Sounds and many other will not sell if outside of the USA or Canada

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #3,714 of 16,326
I sorted out my brightness issue in an unusual way (and fyi, factory reset was not it...).

I installed a cool brightness app called Lux, and that not only fixed the brightness bar (via Lux app) but allows me to go BELOW the minimum brightness level! Hell yes!
Two versions of the app exist: free Lux Lite, and to buy Lux Auto Brightness.

Yay me!

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #3,715 of 16,326
The usual problem

I'm in the UK Acoustic Sounds and many other will not sell if outside of the USA or Canada

I cannot disclose nor clarify how I got the album, but I certainly did pay for it direct to Acoustic Sounds.

There are just things I cannot post here. Sorry.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #3,716 of 16,326
Jan 17, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #3,717 of 16,326
Retracted as it was irrelevant.

I should rephrase that I've not committed a crime, but I understand your points.

It's more to do with the UK copyright law, PRS, etc.
Other countries have their own copyright law's that must be adhered to.

The issue isn't copyright itself, as the principles and tenets of copyright is great!
It's a combination of incredibly difficult, complicated implemented copyright law in music (a lot of which is archaic), and record companies taking time to work with international distributors.

It's a shame.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,718 of 16,326
I should rephrase that I've not committed a crime, but I understand your points.

It's more to do with the UK copyright law, PRS, etc.
Other countries have their own copyright law's that must be adhered to.

The issue isn't copyright itself, as the principles and tenets of copyright is great!
It's a combination of incredibly difficult, complicated implemented copyright law in music (a lot of which is archaic), and record companies taking time to work with international distributors.

It's a shame.

^ No need to explain, it wasn't my business anyway, hence my retraction. Cheers mate.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,719 of 16,326
Preface:
Although two of a handful of users have advised issues with their players, there are many others who have not.

PoRidge demonstrated that he hears hiss in many DAP's, and, at a much lower level, the DP-X1.
Zenifyx has advised that his issue may not be noise as such but actual audio distortion in apps such as YouTube and music apps that communicate with the Onkyo DP-X1 Android OS (as far as we know, will not delve into this here).

Method:
I did my test with my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's, playing a Tidal track (Kong by Bonobo, from Black Sands album), and my own copy that I ripped from CD (via Exact Audio Copy into lossless WAV with LOG files, then used dBpoweramp R16 beta to convert ripped WAV files into lossless FLAC at Level 8 compression).
I am very familiar with this track, it's nuances, and did a paper on this in 2009 when I studied music technology. The track employs a very tiny amount of added noise by the artist; for those who don't know, many artists add noise to add a sense of realism, because in day-to-day life we humans hardly ever live where absolute silence is normal.
There are many research paper's regarding this subject ^^
And I am very familiar with the track; I can detect differences between my various headphones.
The album is also great GO LISTEN!

Setup:
Here are the spec's of my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's:
· 4 Precision Tuned Balanced Armature Drivers
· Three Way Passive Cross Over Design
· Two Balanced Armature Drivers for Low frequency production
· One Balanced Armature Driver for Medium Frequency Production
· One Balanced Armature Driver for High Frequency Production
· AVX OxiCap Capacitors
· Hypoallergenic , Hard Acrylic Shells
· Isolation: -26
· Impedance: 25

Pic of setup (Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's + small eartips with Magnus upgrade cable terminated in 3.5 mm TRS, Onkyo DP-X1 with DPA-GL033 tempered glass screen protector):

Pic's of music on each app:

Onkyo (DP-X1) Music App (henceforth OMA):

TIDAL HiFi:

Tests:

First test was in High Gain:
This was awful in High Gain on either Tidal or OMA.
My Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's are NOT DESIGNED to be played on High Gain. I should add that the VAST MAJORITY of IEM's and CIEM's are also NOT DESIGNED to be run in High Gain.
Distortion was present because I was causing undue pressure on the delicate balanced armatures.
TEST ABANDONED due to health and safety of my ears and my audio equipment.

Second Test in Normal Gain:
This was far better. I noted a small difference between Tidal and OMA, and I can only conclude that the small sonic difference in favour of OMA was due to my personally ripped FLAC files and possible noise filtering that OMA has.
Difference was nominal at best, and concerned spatial sound, low frequency clarity, and high frequency extension, all better on OMA than Tidal.
Both apps sounded fantastic regardless. So close was the SQ that I cannot think how the Tidal app is not accessing the ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC's. It must do. Utterly beautiful music.
With a caveat; at Normal Gain I could still detect very small driver distortions; normal gain is too high for my IEM's.

Third Test at Low Gain:
Everything as Normal Gain test and more.
ABSOLUTLEY crystal clear, no distortion, huge soundstage, wonderful control on bass, excellent timbre on real instruments used, this was truly unbelievable SQ.
No distortion at all. In fact, on both apps, this rivaled the studio setup I used when I researched music. Phenomenal!
Decided that after I played Kong to listen to the full album, and then Disclosure's 'Caracal' and Pink Floyd's 'The Final Cut' 24/96 Vinyl rip.
I was in tears on that last album.. :')
This was the most magical listening experience I have had yet with the Onkyo DP-X1.
I think Zenifyx you've just rekindled my love of IEM's; will reach out to Double Helix Cables and try and get a balanced cable for my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's, but I need to use them over a few days and pray that I don't receive any pain (perhaps two years of non-use has healed my ear canals?).

Extra test:
Played a YouTube rip of Kong in High (extremely quick that test), Normal and Low Gain.
YouTube sucks for music. Way too much compression, but again this did not sound like that the app was not working with the ESS SABRE DAC's; the overall sound was similar to the other two apps except inherent distortion in the video.
Also played Rooster Teeth podcast #357 ( :wink: ) at Low Gain just for kicks. I love Gavin and Gus!
Vocals were nigh on perfect, very realistic, video compression was not an issue as this was a vocal focused video. Eerily could hear their environment, a tad disconcerting.
I am absolutely sure the ESS SABRE ES9018K2M DAC's are in use.

Conclusion:
Other than annoyed that I'm writing on here when I could be going through ALL MY MUSIC with my Heir Audio 4.Ai + Onkyo DP-X1 in pure bliss (jk jk ^^), I have concluded that on my DP-X1 I do not hear any distortion between Tidal and OMA at Low Gain.
Distortion occurred at Normal and High Gain but that was to do with bad to extremely severe pressure exerted on my IEM's balanced armature driver's. I refuse outright to ever test my Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's at High Gain on this DAP, and most probably any other audio equipment.
I do know that Heir Audio make Tzar 350 and 90 series of IEM's specifically designed for High Gain use, but those are exceptions in the world of IEM's and CIEM's

My thoughts are this:

• Unless you can publish what IEM you are using with links and specs Zenifyx, I cannot completely comment fairly on your setup and use, or advise any recommendations,
  • That my Onkyo DP-X1 seems to be working correctly sonically when used appropriately with correct settings for specific headphones or monitors,
  • There may be an actual fault with your unit, but I cannot conclusively say that, just an observation,
  • Listening to IEM's that are not designed for High Gain use can cause real issues with hearing and/or damage to the IEM's itself,
  • Onkyo DP-X1 is magical with IEM's.

I genuinely hope this helps.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3,720 of 16,326

Get ZX2 if streaming is priority. You should not regret.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back