ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 16, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #3,676 of 16,326
Whilst I had a short break I thought, screw it, factory reset my Onkyo DP-X1 and not update firmware; leave as it was shipped:

• Build Number: LMY47V
  • SW Version: 0.1.26.2_20151221.214753

My aim is to discover issues with brightness on my DP-X1, and test sound differences (if any) between firmwares.

HOWEVER, I discovered something startling!
If I access the Guest profile on the DP-X1, I can change the brightness!
If I go back to my own (Google Android) profile, brightness bar does not work.
Eh? Weird, right?

And back to work, again...

Jan 16, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #3,677 of 16,326
Whilst I had a short break I thought, screw it, factory reset my Onkyo DP-X1 and not update firmware; leave as it was shipped:

1. Build Number: LMY47V
  2. SW Version: 0.1.26.2_20151221.214753

My aim is to discover issues with brightness on my DP-X1, and test sound differences (if any) between firmwares.

Eh? Weird, right?

I believe it is a Japanese custom to treat guests better than oneself.

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #3,679 of 16,326
Well I am more than gladly to not post any comparison between zx2 vs DP-x1 for you guys here. No problems by me. Money out of my pocket to do headfi fellows a favor but if it is not welcome, why would I waste time, money and effort!

You are a great benefit to the thread and I'm sure people really enjoy your posts. Still, I get it, the ZX2 is awesome and you are trying to add a comparison point for reference. Hopefully you will keep participating, it would be a shame to lose your contributions. I think there will be several members and guests here who want the comparison between these DAPs, but maybe one major comprehensive post would work better?

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #3,680 of 16,326
2 hours and no further postings.....

.........Pretty much confirms this was a ZX2 thread masquerading as a DP-X1 thread.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #3,681 of 16,326
I think it's natural to make comparisons with other TOTL DAPs, especially of the same connected family, so far ZX2 was king of the hill in that department now there are also X7 comparisons and to a lesser extent AK comparisons. Wait till @Whitigir gets his DP-X1 and you'll possibly have a DP-X1 activist on your hands :) Some of us are enthusiast and I am one of them too :D

I know ​@Whitigir has been instrumental in me going TRRS with the ZX2 and also the killing sound enhancement app was a big one everybody was immensely grateful for, nobody had found this before.

2 hours and no further postings.....

.........Pretty much confirms this was a ZX2 thread masquerading as a DP-X1 thread.

It took me two minutes too long :wink:

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,682 of 16,326
  I think it's natural to make comparisons with other TOTL DAPs, especially of the same connected family, so far ZX2 was king of the hill in that department now there are also X7 comparisons and to a lesser extent AK comparisons. Wait till @Whitigir gets his DP-X1 and you'll possibly have a DP-X1 activist on your hands :) Some of us are enthusiast and I am one of them too :D

I know ​@Whitigir has been instrumental in me going TRRS with the ZX2 and also the killing sound enhancement app was a big one everybody was immensely grateful for, nobody had found this before.

It took me two minutes too long :wink:

I can confirm that DP-X1 sounds better than ZX2 but has less battery, suck UI and more power output. I just sold ZX2 recently

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #3,683 of 16,326
LOL, it's impossible not to say ZX2! It's a disease!!!!

ZX2 ZX2 ZX2 ZX2 ZX2 ZX2 ZX2 ZX2 ZX2 ZX2 ZX2

How about we all go Harry Potter and treat ZX2 like Voldemort. We can talk about it, but can never say the name!

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #3,684 of 16,326

1. Build Number: LMY47V
  2. SW Version: 0.1.26.2_20151221.214753

Eh? Weird, right?

take it no sound differences between firmwares then?

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #3,685 of 16,326

• Build Number: LMY47V
  • SW Version: 0.1.26.2_20151221.214753

Eh? Weird, right?

Btw, factory reset (for Android devices) does not revert you to the shipped firmware.
In fact, it does not change the firmware version at all.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #3,686 of 16,326
I went through this with my M51. Some people got it in their head that firmware version 1.39 sounded so much better than all the updates since. They work their ass off to roll back. When NAD was contacted they assured people that none of the firmware updates could possibly alter sound quality, that wasn't what they were designed for. many other people who did the updates couldn't hear any difference, and those who said they did had no way of proving this beyond the completely unreliable mechanism called audio memory. It is entirely possible that the reported sound quality difference between Onkyo firmware versions is just imagination. I also have to acknowledge that however unlikely, it is possible that a firmware update might make sound quality worse. I still can't imagine how this would be the case, you would think that if the differences are so audible surely the professional testers and equipment at Onkyo would notice. Still, anything is possible. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #3,687 of 16,326
AK380 is noticeably better than Mojo itself therefore, it's not a fair fight even though DP-X1 gets very close to Mojo

Well to be fair, this is a subjective game, and personally, I was thoroughly unimpressed with the ak380, with or without the amp mobile. Details were smoothed over, dynamics were lacking, separation and staging wasn't open or wide like I expected. I don't want this to turn into an AK380 argument on the Onkyo thread, but let's just say that in my opinion, the Chord Mojo just stomps all over the 380 in technical capabilities. The soundaware Esther is another DAP which I feel makes a joke of the 380.

With regards to the Onkyo, you are right in saying that the magic of the Onkyo comes in the balanced output, but I would, personally, pick the Onkyo over the ak380 any day even if they were the same price, solely based on sonic capabilities.

The AK380 sound musical, that there is no doubt, but that's about it to my wooden ears.

To each his own, my Friend :)

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #3,688 of 16,326
@Sonic Defender I heard the Shure KSE1500 yesterday, I don't know whether it is hardware side or software side but back in early December when people got to try it, many complained that the hype is just hot air but yesterday, holy crap I can't believe they can cram that kind of sound into a tiny package. I do believe if something is half-baked either software or hardware it would make a difference but DP-X1 is working as intended even though some features like folder browsing is still not there so there's no point for the engineer to fix what is not broken imo.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #3,689 of 16,326
I went through this with my M51. Some people got it in their head that firmware version 1.39 sounded so much better than all the updates since. They work their ass off to roll back. When NAD was contacted they assured people that none of the firmware updates could possibly alter sound quality, that wasn't what they were designed for. many other people who did the updates couldn't hear any difference, and those who said they did had no way of proving this beyond the completely unreliable mechanism called audio memory. It is entirely possible that the reported sound quality difference between Onkyo firmware versions is just imagination. I also have to acknowledge that however unlikely, it is possible that a firmware update might make sound quality worse. I still can't imagine how this would be the case, you would think that if the differences are so audible surely the professional testers and equipment at Onkyo would notice. Still, anything is possible. 

+1

Assuming it was possible to improve SQ with a firmware update (leave that to the techs to discuss), I am fairly confident that (a) if a manufacturer made the SQ better by a FW update, they would be shouting it from the rooftops, not waiting for three people on a web forum to claim they heard a difference; or (b) if they appeared to be making it worse, they would hold off with the FW update until they solved the problem.

Even your bog-standard iPhone app update has a list of what is being changed, often starting with the plus points ("Improves XYZ...") and finishing with the mea culpa ones "Bug fixes...").

Basically, if you've released a really good product in the first place, you will be making the most of the PR and marketing value of any improvements in its core raison d'etre (playing music at a high quality); and probably playing down any fixes that should've been correct to start with.

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #3,690 of 16,326
Not that I'm delusional and think people are waiting for me to post my sound impressions; however I am going to wait until I have my balanced cable here which should be around Tuesday I suspect. Suffice to say that even in SE output I'm pretty impressed. It almost drove my 400i decently. Certainly it was underpowered for the task, but it still did pretty well considering. SE drives the hell out of my PM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back