ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 16, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #3,691 of 16,326
I'm sure this won't be the much, if any of your issue, but just for the sake of comprehensiveness I'll mention this. There are some songs that will always hiss as that is at the mastering level. I have some nice material that starts off very quietly that has that definite analogue hiss, but that is from the recording equipment used in studio. Is it possible that might explain at least some of your observations?

i tried to eliminate this factor as well. so i used several tracks and did comparisons. maybe the stock player has an algorithm to reduce background noise?

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #3,692 of 16,326
i tried to eliminate this factor as well. so i used several tracks and did comparisons. maybe the stock player has an algorithm to reduce background noise?

It might also be that with access to the DAC section the stock player can take advantage of better SNR as opposed to third party apps that may be relying on the CPU for digital conversion? Not sure of course, but that seems plausible at least.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #3,693 of 16,326
I went through this with my M51. Some people got it in their head that firmware version 1.39 sounded so much better than all the updates since. They work their ass off to roll back. When NAD was contacted they assured people that none of the firmware updates could possibly alter sound quality, that wasn't what they were designed for. many other people who did the updates couldn't hear any difference, and those who said they did had no way of proving this beyond the completely unreliable mechanism called audio memory. It is entirely possible that the reported sound quality difference between Onkyo firmware versions is just imagination. I also have to acknowledge that however unlikely, it is possible that a firmware update might make sound quality worse. I still can't imagine how this would be the case, you would think that if the differences are so audible surely the professional testers and equipment at Onkyo would notice. Still, anything is possible. 

For DX90 new FW does change the sound. Almost everyone who had DX90 can hear the difference, including me, and I truth my ears. Even Paul from Ibasso seem to admit it IIRC. The change of sound is not Ibasso's intention, though.

So my conclusion is FW could possible affect the sound, but I'm not sure every DAP will have the same effect from FW like DX90.

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #3,694 of 16,326
For DX90 new FW does change the sound. Almost everyone who had DX90 can hear the difference, including me, and I truth my ears. Even Paul from Ibasso seem to admit it IIRC. The change of sound is not Ibasso's intention, though.

So my conclusion is FW could possible affect the sound, but I'm not sure every DAP will have the same effect from FW like DX90.

This also happened on DX100 and R10

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #3,695 of 16,326
Very strange. I have a Yo Yo Ma album, it won't show up in Artists screen; however it is there in albums or songs. I used MP3 Tag and confirmed that the artist field is there. I have twice deleted and put it back, but it won't show in artists still. Can anybody else see if they have problems showing the last few letters of the alphabet in the artist screen? Not sure if this is an issue, but I'm at a loss to explain it. I have one artist that starts with a Z, I'm going to add it now and see what happens.

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #3,696 of 16,326
  Very strange. I have a Yo Yo Ma album, it won't show up in Artists screen; however it is there in albums or songs. I used MP3 Tag and confirmed that the artist field is there. I have twice deleted and put it back, but it won't show in artists still. Can anybody else see if they have problems showing the last few letters of the alphabet in the artist screen? Not sure if this is an issue, but I'm at a loss to explain it. I have one artist that starts with a Z, I'm going to add it now and see what happens.

Have you tried to remove the existing tag?

Jan 17, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #3,698 of 16,326
  Have you tried to remove the existing tag?

I did, still won't work. My Z artist showed up with no trouble. I'll try again tomorrow. Cheers.

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #3,699 of 16,326

I just woke up.

Dude don't worry, I thought I too had this issue last night when I was downloading my Michael Jackson 'Thriller' DSD album from my Dropbox to my DP-X1 (using ES File Explorer).
When I did this it didn't appear in my Onkyo DP-X1 Music app library. So I went into the app settings and did a full Sync.
This fixed the issue!
However I had accidently download a track twice (one on MicroSDXC card, one on internal memory), and also forgot to download a further track. Hey, I was doing this half-asleep...
So I used ES File Explorer to rectify the duplicate track (delete from the MicroSDXC) and used that and Dropbox to download the missing track.
When I went back to the DP-X1 Music App my library still showed the duplicate track and missing track.
Thoroughly PISSED :rolleyes:

Except, it wasn't the apps fault...I just needed to re-sync the library...
FACEPALM

So my point, and possible solution, is to do a full sync (not sync what's added but a Sync All operation) in the DP-X1 Music App.

This Sync All should be done everytime any edits are made to the library as I am unsure that the app can pick up changes correctly by itself.

My only other second solution is a bad tag field, say in Album Artists that's causing the issue (Album Artist is a great field that usually has greater importance over Artist field in many music apps and applications, such as J River Media Centre and iTunes).
I always use MusicBrainz Picard for accurate, robust, informative and pretty hardcore tagging; MusicBrainz is somewhat of a standardised international music database/databank, and Picard uses this to tag your music.
I also use dBpoweramp Reference for further personal tagging after I use Picard, and for embedding album artwork. (I also use it for it's Swiss army knife of audio format conversions).

If neither Sync All or rechecking tag fields work... :frowning2:
Actually, what is the Album and Artist?

Btw:

:k701smile:

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #3,700 of 16,326
I did, still won't work. My Z artist showed up with no trouble. I'll try again tomorrow. Cheers.

If Album Artist is not overriding anything as suggested by oneinyellow, check Compilation metatag is not checked. Unfortunately this field doesn't show in mp3tag with default settings and has to be added.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #3,701 of 16,326
Btw, factory reset (for Android devices) does not revert you to the shipped firmware.
In fact, it does not change the firmware version at all.

Beat me to it 

Jan 17, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #3,702 of 16,326
 Michael Jackson 'Thriller' DSD album 

My only other second solution is a bad tag field, say in Album Artists that's causing the issue (Album Artist is a great field that usually has greater importance over Artist field in many music apps and applications, such as J River Media Centre and iTunes).
I always use MusicBrainz Picard for accurate, robust, informative and pretty hardcore tagging; MusicBrainz is somewhat of a standardised international music database/databank, and Picard uses this to tag your music.
I also use dBpoweramp Reference for further personal tagging after I use Picard, and for embedding album artwork. (I also use it for it's Swiss army knife of audio format conversions).

Thanks for the tips on Tagging and Album art 
Can I ask where you got the 'Thriller' album in DSD? I have searched but none of my usually website have it available in the UK HDTracks etc,

If Album Artist is not overriding anything as suggested by oneinyellow, check Compilation metatag is not checked. Unfortunately this field doesn't show in mp3tag with default settings and has to be added.

Cheers one to remember

And since Chord Mojo, I have been telling people Operation system, app does change sound quality, people called me nut
biggrin.gif
....as the days goes by, more people found the same thing...the reason I trust only my ears and music

My feeling exactly The one Synergy that really matters is your own exlerience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back