ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #3,346 of 16,326
Not sure we can agree there my friend, I blasted some very aggressive Chevelle, Hats Off To The Bull album with the PM3 and it was extremely engaging, same with Tool, Sevendust, Live etc. It just goes to show that nothing is an absolute truth. I think the PM3 takes a layer of noise off of rock. Rock is loud, but generally it really doesn't sound good and despite the fact that the artist may have liked the over-presented sound of an over-driven guitar amp mixed in really loud with a biting edge, that is no guarantee I will like it. Hell Metallica loved that horrible mess St. Anger and they could barely believe others didn't love it as much. Anyway, I digress, for me the PM3s help rock out, but as you did note that is highly subjective. That isn't to say that I can't at times enjoy a livelier rock headphone, hell I started out with Grado's, but for an easy to like, multi-genre headphone the PM3 is pretty solid even if it does soften the edges a tad.

Think we are actually agreeing and then it's down to personal preference. The Oppo does soften the edge a bit, and nothing wrong liking that. When cd first came out, I changed my whole hifi to try and achieve that! Now, I'm leaning towards excitement, ears probably losing those highest frequencies, and I like Gradi 325s. It's all good, so many choices in headphones, and now DAPs too.

On the mojo thoughts above, I would venture it has little sound signature of its own, a very natural sound. Whether everyone likes that is due to what they are used to and coming from, and what equipment accompanies it. I don't think it's sound can be beaten at sensible money, but still interested in an additional stand alone DAP. I heard the QP1R at London Canjam and it was best DAP I'd heard, above A&Ks. But aim to hear this Onkyo before making a move.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #3,347 of 16,326
  Just wonder how many hours of burnt-in you have on Mojo. I have friend who has both ZX2 and Mojo. Remembered when he first got Mojo, he was bashing it really bad compared to ZX2. If you followed Mojo thread a while back , you would recognize him by the name "Giovanni"  but now he said Mojo completely smashed his ZX2. You should do some extensive burnt-in on Mojo. Maybe he just prefers Mojo's signature after all...

I had both before selling the ZX2, I can understand how the Mojo can get you under its spell because it really has a different, spectacular sound very natural, dynamic, engaging but despite the wow factor I'd say ZX2 is more organic and tonality is more refined and depth is better. We'll see about DP-X1 when customs at last release it from their grip!

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #3,348 of 16,326

I've modded my Yuin PK1 earbuds to Balanced today.

The sound is GREATLY improved. When DP-X1's dual DACs / Amps activated in balanced mode, it made me speechless.

If you decide to buy the Onkyo. Balanced 2.5 TRRS headphones is a MUST.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #3,349 of 16,326
When I bought my first decent Headphones I auditioned Kef 500s, Senns and many other similar priced phones, and since, the PM3s. Very nearly bought Kefs, nice and musical, but the PM3 is just so relaxed it took all the thrill of music away for me. Lovely and pure midrange, but I want a drum to sound attacking. I know many like them so its all personal taste, but do audition them unless you know you want a warm cosy sound. Not for rock!

Great feedback, thanks. much appreciated. That applies to all the responses by the way. I guess the answer is to audition them both but so difficult these days finding kit to audition.....but then I guess I cant talk having just ordered online from Japan! Had shipment confirmation last night...cant wait
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #3,350 of 16,326

The sound is GREATLY improved. When DP-X1's dual DACs / Amps activated in balanced mode, it made me speechless.

That is my plan. TRRS and solid silver DP-X1 vs TRRS solid-silver ZX2 :D

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #3,351 of 16,326
That is my plan. TRRS and solid silver DP-X1 vs TRRS solid-silver ZX2
biggrin.gif

I'll be curious to know what you think :)

Just careful about the AK type 2.5 TRRS thing, I still wait on Whiplash to tell me if I have the right one... 

General
Tip : L+
Ring1 : R+
Ring2 : L-
Sleeve : R-

AK
Tip : R-
Ring1 : R+
Ring2 : L+
Sleeve : L-

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #3,353 of 16,326
Yeah. I still don't have it yet. But it seems AK style is being confirmed everywhere. However I can always fix it
biggrin.gif

I lack that kind of know how unfortunately... since you're knowledgeable could it fry the amp with the wrong type?

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #3,355 of 16,326
It is not even shipped yet lol, and I chose quick ship option

When did you order?
They're good on their promise of fast shipping from my experience and testimonies here :)

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #3,357 of 16,326

Man that's killer!

Glad you like it!

Did you make your own balanced cable or was it made/modded for you?

I wonder how the Yuin PK1 compares to the Celsus Sound Gramo One earbud earphones ^^

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #3,358 of 16,326

The Onkyo website explains the use of balanced/unbalanced so:

16-300 Ohm = unbalanced
32-600 Ohm = balanced

I am not sure if driving 16 Ohm IEM´s balanced make sense.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #3,359 of 16,326
A couple day ago. Yeah, it takes 3 days for them to ship it out as quick shipping. So basically i don't expect it to get to me until next week
redface.gif

You might get them before me, customs are getting on my nerves and slow to resolve the issue :frowning2:
Apparently my package is part of a random control by the french customs, nobody can tell me how long it will be.
It would have been the same either with EMS or FedEx apparently.

Yeah. I still don't have it yet. But it seems AK style is being confirmed everywhere. However I can always fix it 
biggrin.gif

I lack that kind of know how unfortunately... since you're knowledgeable could it fry the amp with the wrong type?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back