1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by t.r.a.n.c.e., Sep 11, 2015.
First

Back
216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225
227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236
Next

Last
  1. Sonic Defender Contributor
    I agree, it would be very difficult to damage any gear with a resistance mismatch, but I do wonder if an amplifier can be slowly damaged if asked to constantly drive a load that is very demanding? I'm not knowledgeable in this advanced area, but as you have intonated, in my 30 plus years of audio use I haven't had any gear get damaged from something like using a high resistance headphone with a weaker amplifier.

georgelai57 likes this.
  2. Sonic Defender Contributor
    I'm getting excited, my Onkyo has arrived and been sorted at my local postal hub, now I just hope to see an Out For Delivery update in the next hour or so. Come on Canada Post! I'm really hoping the fact that it cleared customs in one day means that there won't be any duties or taxes applied. I would say with Canada Post more often than not I have been lucky and only a few times did I get nailed. When I did get nailed, the item always took longer to clear customs, but I don't know if there is a relationship there or not. Wish me luck folks.

3. ebe2000

Well, I had a pair of loudspeakers damaged that way before. Hooked them up on wrong resistance connections, hence I am careful since then, especially with small gear.

4. Sonic Defender Contributor
    That would suck, for learning could you provide more details about the event? I'm genuinely curious as I have been lucky enough to not experience such a thing and it would be helpful to myself and others to know more about what happened with you. Thanks.

5. Whitigir
    In my experiences, the voice coil would get fried if you connect a very strong amplifier to speakers and crank it up too loud. It would also be damaged with reversed terminal aka ground to positive and positive to ground.

But also the loud speakers typically need an amplifier that is twice as strong from the speakers requirement. Ofcourse if you crank it up too loud and reach the speaker max output....and still not enough, you bought the wrong setup....turn it down and buy others.....if you keep cranking it eventhough the volume from the speaker can't go higher anymore...crank it...it get fried.

I can't imagine headphones and portable in ears would do such thing. It would bleed your ears dry, and bring deafness

You could also damage your amplifier with a very very powerful speakers and keep cranking up the amp at the max volume...unlikely that you would do it with large speakers as I said. If you are turning on your amp at 70-80 and you barely hear it..wrong gears...turn off and return :D....if u keep it at 90-100% constantly for a while....it would damage the amplifier....however I only seen it in a very wrong mismatch like 200w amplifier driving 2000w large speakers or so

6. Whitigir
    There is something that I don't see in the portable world, the continuous wattage or RMS. Speakers moves in and out to produce sound, so as the energy it needs would varies, and at max it would be written as "Watt" but then there will be RMS watt rating as well. This is the number your amplifier gotta match at the least

Example 2000W speakers with 500W RMS. You can have an amplifier from anywhere of 500 watt to 1000 watt, but do never ever get it less than the RMS. My large home system is that 2000 W speakers and 500 RMS, my amp is 800 W :D

To get much in depth in this...we gotta go to another forum that all about large Riggs. I think the portable doesn't have this rating because it doesn't dramatically damage gears that you can not hear ? I don't know...I only see impedance and sensitivity db/mw in portable world ? Hell in powerful large rig, one can be shocked to death by them...let alone amplifier or devices within the chain lol

7. PoRidge

the button function requires the se jack to support trrs with line control, which is uncommon for a traditional dap. but the new wave of dap using android os though, i am not sure. please check if the dp-x1 can handle line control first, if you would like to use that button function.

8. PoRidge

i wonder how this large dp-x1 with a straight plug can fit in a pocket.

9. Sonic Defender Contributor
    My Onkyo is out for delivery so should have it by this afternoon! Awesome.

10. warrior1975
    Sonic Defender-Congrats bro, really looking forward to your impressions. Hope you love it!!

11. ReizeiMako
    Without anything else, it can fit in my jeans pocket :D

12. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Thanks brother, I will need to get a little used to using Android (shouldn't be too difficult, but damn I like the Blackberry 10 OS). My balanced cable will arrive next week so for now it will be single ended impressions. Cheers.

warrior1975 likes this.
  13. clarkydaz

can you mod typical earphone cable to balanced, or do you need special cable?

14. Whitigir
    Did you quick ship it ?

15. ReizeiMako
    For PK1 I need no special cable, just stock one.

First

Back
216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225
227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236
Next

Last