ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 13, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #3,331 of 16,326
Circuit boards don't burn in.

Here come someone denying burnt-in effect of DAP..Good for you. Maybe you are far better than those Sony Engineers after all who put in the manual that "this DAP needs 100 hours of burnt-in"
Btw Circuit board burnt-in? lol ...it's "capacitor"....lol

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #3,332 of 16,326
Jan 13, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,333 of 16,326
  On another note just got my SD3's...BLOOODY HELL...These things are unreal...Id say they beat my Beyerdynamic T5P's easily. Stunning IEMS...

I bought the Ortofon tips, but is there anything better out there? Sorry to go off topic!

So happy for you oneinyellow...Looks like a beast of a machine!

I'd definately add the Spinfit, JVC Spiral Dot, Sony hybrid tips to your collection. And the Meleectronics bi and triflanges along the way. Tips are the cheapest part to upgrade the sound sigs and comfort :p
Cost does add up when you go pokemon gotta catch em all but it's a one time buy for life. I still gotta hunt down the Sony hybrids, the Meleec and the Westone Startips ^^

My Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus has this feature of volume warning.

My Onkyo DP-X1 with a Japanese barcode (but universal packaging? Check my pics earlier) does NOT have this volume warning.
I don't think there's a volume limit on my device. I can tell as my AKG K 712 suck juice like nothing, but even at volume 147 it plays well. My efficient KEF Audio M500 are well equipped for this DAP.

The only form of warning I get is when while in EQ: ON if raise the yellow EQ curve above the straight grey bar, screen will flash red whenever the sounds will crosses over it. It seems a bit more complex but that's the gist of it ^^

In High Gain, I listen to 50-60 of the volume steps with the Empire Zeus ciems (I reckon they are like 110-115db / 25ish Ohm, no specs that I could find, so I'm comparing it to how easy they are to drive like the Legend Omega).

@those using Mac and have issues with transfering music: have you tried Dapper by @JeremyLaurenson ? He's very active here on head-fi too.

I've just tried his 30sec of silence track again to test out any hiss and noise with the DP-X1
I'm still impressed at how good the DP-X1 is in regards to low noise-floor man *_*    I have to raise the steps to 150-160 max to hear audible/distracting noise. And then it's only like a low-mild tinnitus-like feel.

find the track here: https://jeremylaurenson.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/19224-30seconds-of-pure-blissful-silence/

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #3,334 of 16,326
Just wonder how many hours of burnt-in you have on Mojo. I have friend who has both ZX2 and Mojo. Remembered when he first got Mojo, he was bashing it really bad compared to ZX2. If you followed Mojo thread a while back , you would recognize him by the name "Giovanni"  but now he said Mojo completely smashed his ZX2. You should do some extensive burnt-in on Mojo. Maybe he just prefers Mojo's signature after all...

It was a review unit actually, and it was previously used for 4 weeks prior to me. Yes, SE connection and it outperforming Zx2...I compared it to TRRS out on Zx2, and Zx2 with TRRS edged out a bit more. The only thing I missed from mojo was it clean and clear back ground that was just so "blacked-out"

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,337 of 16,326
I don't really believe in burn in either, perhaps it is more akin to how a new car still have residue or particles that needs to be get rid off in the first 1000 Km in order to reach optimal performance or better lifetime.

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #3,338 of 16,326

Here come someone denying burnt-in effect of DAP..Good for you. Maybe you are far better than those Sony Engineers after all who put in the manual that "this DAP needs 100 hours of burnt-in"

Some Sony Engineers also believed that SD cards makes a sonic difference LOL.  Afterall they did release specially "audiophile grade" micro SD cards and released those to the market. :wink:  (The insult to the injury was that later these cards were found to be defective with read errors which causes music to skip and pop, I'm sure that's why they sound different LOL)

There are definitely smart guys at Sony, but also definitely some pretty "out" there people there as well.  Smart people will judge what they say on its own merit, not because "It is Sony". :wink:

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #3,339 of 16,326
Nope. T1.2. The AK version is 32 ohms, even comes with a 2.5 trrs cable to use with AK daps!

I would not for the life of me ever recommend the t5p
tongue.gif

ah I see. What's wrong with t5p? I was actually interested in gen 2 which isn't out yet.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #3,341 of 16,326

I believe its your brain that needs burn in, in the sense of getting used to the sound signature. But thats just my opinion.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #3,342 of 16,326

Some Sony Engineers also believed that SD cards makes a sonic difference LOL.  Afterall they did release specially "audiophile grade" micro SD cards and released those to the market. :wink:  (The insult to the injury was that later these cards were found to be defective with read errors which causes music to skip and pop, I'm sure that's why they sound different LOL)

There are definitely smart guys at Sony, but also definitely some pretty "out" there people there as well.  Smart people will judge what they say on its own merit, not because "It is Sony". :wink:

I think we call this "Marketing" :)

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #3,343 of 16,326
Won't this whole single DAC and amp used in single ended mode drive burn in folks nuts?
Cause when they do use it in balanced, one DAC and amp will be significantly more burnt in than the other.
Oh no! Run for the hills!!!!!

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #3,344 of 16,326
How does qp1r fare against dp-x1 ?

Absolutely no idea.
I never had the chance to demo either the Onkyo DP-X1 or Questyle QP1R DAP's, but i have read a tonne (yes metric lalala) on each.

The feedback and reviews, plus uniqueness, of the current driven iPod reborn QP1R has been stellar, with many counting it as the de facto best SQ DAP. Ever.
The only reasons I didn't want it is relative cost, and does not suit my needs, especially streaming.

I've also read, and participated (oops) a tonne about the Onkyo DP-X1.
The feedback on this has also been incredibly positive, with some big comparisons to other DAP's, amp's and DAC/amp combo's.

I took a risk to import it; totally worth it.

I've already posted some sonic impressions but in summary, there's a single word I come up with for the DP-X1; crystalline.
This DAP allows music to be effortless, and better non fatiguing.
I noted that more powerful amps can overload your headphones with dynamics and power combined with detail.
In SE, dynamics and power for my AKG K 712 headphones is not as huge as I'm used to, but it's a far better tradeoff; the organic nature of the DAP allows my headphones to sing, clearly, what is on record. My senses aren't being overloaded either, nor are my K 712 headphones being forced to be forcefully dynamic.
It is rare for me to say this with any portable source, but the DP-X1 exemplifies a source that doesn't necessarily require any external amp to bring out the best of itself. It does that anyway!
(Though I would welcome an official Onkyo battery extender and amp module provided that the current SQ remains).
If I were to allow a third party amp, it would be the ALO Continental Dual Mono (CDM), as you can output a 2.5 mm TRRS balanced from DP-X1 into a 2.5 mm TRRS input of the CDM true balanced combo.

Anyway, the Onkyo DP-X1 is TOTL, with Questyle QP1R (based on research) being the other. My opinion of course.

beat me, I think it's me that prefer my modded HD800 out of Onkyo over Mojo .....

Onkyo just makes it non- fatiguing in the treble , more sweet and laid back instead of throwing into face like Mojo. It can't beat Mojo in term of driving power, detail ( little bit ) or fuller stage but I prefer it this way. Enjoyable
Btw my unit is not fully burnt-in yet so still room for improvement ( i remember that from my HDP R10, extensive burnt-in)

I'm using Balance output. It has really wide sound stage but Mojo has upper hands somehow (also considering Mojo outputs more voltage) . This unit needs burnt-in still so no final conclusion yet

I kinda replied to this above but I agree with you gearofwar.
The Onkyo DP-X1 doesn't have visceral power but has real authority, speed, elegance and effortless sound.
The bass itself won't shake your head, it's has incredible extension (low frequency response) and decent amplitude (it's loud enough, doesn't not smear into other frequencies).

I listened to Kölsch 'Balance' compilation album (lossless FLAC) whilst I was about to sleep with my DP-X1 and KEF Audio M500. The headphones have a beautiful warm sound, great bass response, and balanced sound overall, though a small soundstage unfortunately.
As this compilation has lots of bass, unlike my CEntrance HiFi-M8 or previously iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50, I'm not overloaded with bass power. I'm rewarded with all the frequencies of music as a coherent whole, like single driver speaker. The bass isn't subdued, it instead becomes a beautiful pulsating musical instrument that doesn't overpower the music.

I've not heard of the Mojo but from what you said and what I've read, I think the Mojo is too much as a device. Great for smartphones but high-end DAP's well built like DP-X1 or QP1R? Not so necessary.

Not sure we can agree there my friend, I blasted some very aggressive Chevelle, Hats Off To The Bull album with the PM3 and it was extremely engaging, same with Tool, Sevendust, Live etc. It just goes to show that nothing is an absolute truth. I think the PM3 takes a layer of noise off of rock. Rock is loud, but generally it really doesn't sound good and despite the fact that the artist may have liked the over-presented sound of an over-driven guitar amp mixed in really loud with a biting edge, that is no guarantee I will like it. Hell Metallica loved that horrible mess St. Anger and they could barely believe others didn't love it as much. Anyway, I digress, for me the PM3s help rock out, but as you did note that is highly subjective. That isn't to say that I can't at times enjoy a livelier rock headphone, hell I started out with Grado's, but for an easy to like, multi-genre headphone the PM3 is pretty solid even if it does soften the edges a tad.

In short, the KEF Audio M500 on-ear headphones changed my perception of music back in Dec 2013.
It's not neutrality I want, but musical gear.
Analytical is fine as long as they can sing (aka AKG K 712 with iFi Audio Retro Stereo 50, and now Onkyo DP-X1).

I love my KEF Audio M500, but it is a shame I can never have it balanced.

Oppo PM3 is another superb headphone that can be turned into balanced, but I can't afford that at present...

Allow me to offer an alternative in the Lime Ears Aether...it sounds so damn good that I quickly sold my K10s in favour of it. Absolutely spanks the K10 in every technical area while still being musical.

Ah, thank you!
I'll be honest, I've pondered, dreamt and salivated over the K10's that I still want them regardless, but not just for their excellent sound, but also aesthetics.

I believe I just want a Noble Audio CIEM, whether it's the K10 (or a new superior model if Noble make one).

However, I'll research about the Lime Ears Aether anyway.

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #3,345 of 16,326
I've always had the opinion that mechanical devices may require burn-in, with the exception of non-hybrid armature based earphones/IEM's/CIEM's.

The other exception is solid state gear with certain circuit parts but I'm not delving into this.

I have no idea if the Onkyo DP-X1 requires burn-in, but I don't care. I'm using it as is and reporting back on my findings.

It is awesome by the way :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back