ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 13, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #3,316 of 16,326
Well, the new firmware update today did not fix the WiFi problem introduced in the previous update.  I still cannot connect to the 5 GHz network on my Asus RT-AC68U router.

Hmm, I have an Asus Dark Knight RT-N66U with very powerful 2.4 and 5 gHz signals on three heavy duty aerials.
However I've not tested bandwidth. Will look into this tomorrow...

Don't live in Essex by any chance? Would live to hear this before going ahead with QP1R purchase.

Er, no, put PM me and we'll talk as I'd love to hear the Questyle QP1R, but no guarantees...
Though perhaps pm me tomorrow as it's 00:15 atm ha ha (I ain't sleeping, got music to listen to!).

Haha, I have a pair of K10s.  Just built my balanced cable to take advantage of the DP-X1.  Too bad it won't be in my hands for a month or so (opted for slow EMS to try to avoid some customs charges -- always get hit by UPS and Fedex).

Patience, and srsly I WANT NOBLE K10!

You'll love this DAP, I really am positive.
Previous posts on excellent SE playback, and even better playback, sounded cool.
Now that I have the DP-X1 and I can attest to the SE sonics...I genuinely cannot fathom how it can get better. I really wish I had more balanced gear than I do, which is zero btw (atm).

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #3,317 of 16,326
Grr, double post, sos...

Anyway, buy Onkyo DP-X1 (or Questyle QP1R) etc etc blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah :rolleyes: :wink: :)

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #3,319 of 16,326
beat me, I think it's me that prefer my modded HD800 out of Onkyo over Mojo .....

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #3,323 of 16,326
When I bought my first decent Headphones I auditioned Kef 500s, Senns and many other similar priced phones, and since, the PM3s. Very nearly bought Kefs, nice and musical, but the PM3 is just so relaxed it took all the thrill of music away for me. Lovely and pure midrange, but I want a drum to sound attacking. I know many like them so its all personal taste, but do audition them unless you know you want a warm cosy sound. Not for rock!

Not sure we can agree there my friend, I blasted some very aggressive Chevelle, Hats Off To The Bull album with the PM3 and it was extremely engaging, same with Tool, Sevendust, Live etc. It just goes to show that nothing is an absolute truth. I think the PM3 takes a layer of noise off of rock. Rock is loud, but generally it really doesn't sound good and despite the fact that the artist may have liked the over-presented sound of an over-driven guitar amp mixed in really loud with a biting edge, that is no guarantee I will like it. Hell Metallica loved that horrible mess St. Anger and they could barely believe others didn't love it as much. Anyway, I digress, for me the PM3s help rock out, but as you did note that is highly subjective. That isn't to say that I can't at times enjoy a livelier rock headphone, hell I started out with Grado's, but for an easy to like, multi-genre headphone the PM3 is pretty solid even if it does soften the edges a tad.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #3,324 of 16,326
And you like it better than Mojo ? How ? Thank you

Onkyo just makes it non- fatiguing in the treble , more sweet and laid back instead of throwing into face like Mojo. It can't beat Mojo in term of driving power, detail ( little bit ) or fuller stage but I prefer it this way. Enjoyable
Btw my unit is not fully burnt-in yet so still room for improvement ( i remember that from my HDP R10, extensive burnt-in)

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,325 of 16,326
Onkyo just makes it non- fatiguing in the treble , more sweet and laid back instead of throwing into face like Mojo. It can't beat Mojo in term of driving power, detail ( little bit ) or fuller stage but I prefer it this way. Enjoyable
Btw my unit is not fully burnt-in yet so still room for improvement ( i remember that from my HDP R10, extensive burnt-in)

Wait...you are saying it doesn't have the soundstage from Mojo ? Using balanced TRRS or SE ? Supposedly in TRRS it double the power !

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #3,326 of 16,326
Wait...you are saying it doesn't have the soundstage from Mojo ? Using balanced TRRS or SE ? Supposedly in TRRS it double the power !

I'm using Balance output. It has really wide sound stage but Mojo has upper hands somehow (also considering Mojo outputs more voltage) . This unit needs burnt-in still so no final conclusion yet

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #3,328 of 16,326
Patience, and srsly I WANT NOBLE K10!

Allow me to offer an alternative in the Lime Ears Aether...it sounds so damn good that I quickly sold my K10s in favour of it. Absolutely spanks the K10 in every technical area while still being musical.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #3,329 of 16,326
Oh man...I disliked mojo soundstage compare to zx2...but I gotta hear for myself ....may be it is the Hd800 that expressing it differently for you
biggrin.gif
I don't have hd800.

Just wonder how many hours of burnt-in you have on Mojo. I have friend who has both ZX2 and Mojo. Remembered when he first got Mojo, he was bashing it really bad compared to ZX2. If you followed Mojo thread a while back , you would recognize him by the name "Giovanni"  but now he said Mojo completely smashed his ZX2. You should do some extensive burnt-in on Mojo. Maybe he just prefers Mojo's signature after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back