ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 13, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,211 of 16,326
The part about the codec block is also partially true, but in the case of both Pioneer XDP-100R and Onkyo DP-X1, when a 'normal' app sends out to Android a digital audio signal, the modified OS will route this direct to the ESS Sabre DAC(s).

how can you be sure? onkyo modded the os to do this? i did not find it, even in the onkyo presentation.

fiio specifically states that they did.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #3,212 of 16,326
Anyone know how can I buy this cover from Amazon Japan? http://www.amazon.co.jp/バンナイズ-VanNuys-ONKYO-Pioneer-XDP-100R/dp/B018RXI1PM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452680750&sr=8-3&keywords=onkyo+dp-x1

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #3,213 of 16,326
I think, without actually testing, it could be a combination of Onkyo Android and app sending duplicate protocols on how to decode audio signal, thus noise.
It could be that one of the new Onkyo Android System Level functions is also causing an issue.
Remember, very few developers work with nonstandard Android devices, and these high-end Android DAP's are very different.

Smartphones have been high end tech, low end audio, lots of audio software manipulation.
This is to do with battery, heat, efficiency.

These new audio based Android DAP's are very, very new and unique.

Ask the app developer for further guidance.

in some chinese "hifi" android phones, there are options(implemented as a whitelist) to choose which app goes through the hifi DAC. so definitely onkyo has the control. that's why i say that they MAY need onkyo's permission.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #3,214 of 16,326

in some chinese "hifi" android phones, there are options(implemented as a whitelist) to choose which app goes through the hifi DAC. so definitely onkyo has the control. that's why i say that they MAY need onkyo's permission.

Off-topic, but could you please name a few phones that implements the whitelist? I've been looking for a cellphone with a hifi DAC which can be used for Spotify/Tidal. No luck so far with Vivo phones and LG V10.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #3,215 of 16,326
Someone else many, many pages back was able to play MX Player on DP-X1 with incredible SQ!

That wouldn't prove it is using the DAC at all, Neutron sounds stunning on my phone and based on what you are saying Blackberry sure wouldn't have opened up their OS so I would have to assume that this is DSP through the CPU. Why would MMX be any different? If Android provides an interface to the audio so that MMX can access the DAC on the DP-X1 why can't other programs such as Neutron? What exactly is the fundamental difference between them?

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #3,216 of 16,326

Balanced cable for my PM3 and DP-X1. Thanks PETEREK!

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #3,218 of 16,326
how can you be sure? onkyo modded the os to do this? i did not find it, even in the onkyo presentation.

fiio specifically states that they did.

Multiple tests by Head-Fi'ers on here.

Peter from Double Helix Cables tested Android games and streaming apps.

The only time when an internal DAC of an Android OS is not used is if the app in question bypasses it deliberately (aka Neutron).

Most app designer's will design apps that have audio to be passed to Android, which should pass to a DAC.
This is the standard, has been for a very long time.

Onkyo only modded the OS to implement brand new System Wide features, but these are defeatable if an App was coded to bypass standard Android audio routes, or if a designer who knows of the features can create code to bypass.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #3,219 of 16,326
That wouldn't prove it is using the DAC at all, Neutron sounds stunning on my phone and based on what you are saying Blackberry sure wouldn't have opened up their OS so I would have to assume that this is DSP through the CPU. Why would MMX be any different? If Android provides an interface to the audio so that MMX can access the DAC on the DP-X1 why can't other programs such as Neutron? What exactly is the fundamental difference between them?

I am very sorry that my multiple posts, explanations, other Head-Fi'ers, have failed to help you understand.

I hope you'll enjoy the DP-X1 has is.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #3,221 of 16,326
Multiple tests by Head-Fi'ers on here.

Peter from Double Helix Cables tested Android games and streaming apps.

The only time when an internal DAC of an Android OS is not used is if the app in question bypasses it deliberately (aka Neutron).

Most app designer's will design apps that have audio to be passed to Android, which should pass to a DAC.
This is the standard, has been for a very long time.

Onkyo only modded the OS to implement brand new System Wide features, but these are defeatable if an App was coded to bypass standard Android audio routes, or if a designer who knows of the features can create code to bypass.

i mean, how can you prove that it is the sabre dac doing the decoding and not the codec of the snapdragon? open it up and probe signals from both the sabre dac and snapdragon codec? even when the sabre dac is on does not mean it is doing the decoding.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #3,223 of 16,326
I am very sorry that my multiple posts, explanations, other Head-Fi'ers, have failed to help you understand.

I hope you'll enjoy the DP-X1 has is.

Removed comment, all good now.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #3,225 of 16,326
good for you, but there are people that's annoyed.

i personally did not hear a dap without background hiss, even the dx90 and l5 pro on ultra low gain. it limits my choice of dap, so i had high hopes for the onkyo.

I am started to get annoy by zx2 background noises now...lol....turning toward Onkyo and see atm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back