ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 6, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,671 of 16,326
Jan 6, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #2,672 of 16,326
Not sure if posted before but Digital Trends posted a small article about Onkyo products at CES 2016 including price for DP-X1:

Onkyo showing off new stereo receiver and digital audio player at CES 2016 By Kristofer Wouk; January 4th 2016..

According to the article the Onkyo DP-X1 will cost around $900 and will be (officially) available around April in the US.

I read that article last night. There was speculation that it's gonna be $900 USD a few months ago. I wouldn't pay nearly a grand for a music player, however I did pay $700 USD (that includes $70 service fee from BuySmartJapan and $30 EMS shipping).

The only reason to buy locally is for the warranty, but Onkyo's warranty reputation (at least here in the US) is pretty bad if Amazon customer reviews are any indication.

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #2,673 of 16,326
According to the article the Onkyo DP-X1 will cost around $900 and will be (officially) available around April in the US.

Good to know the Onkyo is spreading its wings.

That bump in price though... for peace of mind I suppose.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #2,675 of 16,326
Ordered from PriceJapan. They responded quickly to my questions. I elected standard service to save a few bucks. Now the wait...

I just need a transport that will work with OTG, Android OS, and 2 memory slots. I was going to get the Pioneer but it was only $100 more for the Onkyo and all my IEM cables have AK TRRS so what the heck.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #2,676 of 16,326
Well I just ordered the DP-X1 again, this time paying for fast delivery so once I go to my bank to do the wire transfer hopefully I will get it quickly enough. Now to get the balanced cable thing started again for my PM3.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #2,677 of 16,326
I just got my unit from a friend who had a vacation in Japan. I was lucky that the store he went too has a unit in stock. 

Just spent half an hour with it. So far, really liking what I hear.

My only gripe is, it can't play tracks continuously without a glitch. This is a problem for a live recording album. 

Told ya you'll love it!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #2,678 of 16,326
And this issue as been bothering me quite abit.

Does the DP-X1 only use one DAC and amp in single ended mode?
Is this a fact? Or is it only speculation and rumours?
Could anyone confirm this with Onkyo reps maybe say at the CES (which they are at; to launch the DP-X1 in the American market).
Come on guys, this should have been settled a long time ago.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #2,679 of 16,326
Jan 7, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #2,680 of 16,326
And this issue as been bothering me quite abit.

Does the DP-X1 only use one DAC and amp in single ended mode?
Is this a fact? Or is it only speculation and rumours?
Could anyone confirm this with Onkyo reps maybe say at the CES (which they are at; to launch the DP-X1 in the American market).
Come on guys, this should have been settled a long time ago.

Actually the DP-X1 uses two DACs in single ended mode with the Active Ground Control the DACs run in serial when dispensing a single-ended signal. I think people have mentioned it in the thread.

The schema was in the initial post :

Jan 7, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #2,682 of 16,326
Also got a visit from the fedex guy earlier in the office.

Ill post some impressions later.

Man you guy's and your wonderful high-end gorgeous toys :wink:

Congrats 3ggerhappy, it sure looks impressive. You'll have a lot to experiment with, but it does look gorgeous!
Are tye IEM's Campfire Lyra btw?

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #2,683 of 16,326
Man you guy's and your wonderful high-end gorgeous toys
wink.gif

Congrats @3ggerhappy, it sure looks impressive. You'll have a lot to experiment with, but it does look gorgeous!
Are tye IEM's Campfire Lyra btw?

Looks like Aurisonics Harmony to me. Just a guess.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #2,684 of 16,326
Actually the DP-X1 uses two DACs in single ended mode with the Active Ground Control the DACs run in serial when dispensing a single-ended signal. I think people have mentioned it in the thread.

The schema was in the initial post :

Just to add to what davidmolliere and others have posted, and my findings on a huge amount of research regarding the Onkyo DP-X1 from varying sources including Head-Fi (I'm on page 72 of this thread, will eventually, and soon, read everything), here is how I think you can use the DP-X1 in all it's configurations:

- SE only (single DAC, single amp),
- SE with AGC (dual DAC's running in serial*, single amp),
- Balanced (dual DAC's, dual amp's),
- Balanced with AGC (dual DAC's in serial**, dual amp's),
- Use DP-X1 as a balanced DAC only. Here the DP-X1 balanced DAC's are in action but you bypass dual DP-X1 amp's via 2.5 mm TRRS, then use an use an external balanced amp such as ALO CDM (via 2.5 mm TRRS input) or balanced desktop amp (with correct cables and adapters),
- OTG/Use DP-X1 as a source only (fully bypass DP-X1 circuitry and use external DAC/amp, such as the Chord Mojo/Hugo/Hugo TT, CEntrance HiFi-M8, ALO Continental Dual Mono, etc).
- (Speakers on DP-X1?).

*One DAC runs ground, and sends signal to second DAC according to this video of an Onkyo representative in John Darkø's article (cannot embed Vimeo video hear, sorry).

**Same idea as above but this time each of the DP-X1 amp's will separately go to left and right signal via balanced 2.5 mm TRRS output.

Just to touch up, as an Onkyo representative, various articles and Head'Fiers have posted, AGC should work in SE mode.

The whole AGC idea is incredibly unique. If I am right on all of the above the amount of experimentation will be insane. I'm going to elaborate on the AGC bullet points here:

What I find interesting is that if you wish to use AGC in SE, one of the ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC's is set to ground, and the other converts the digital signal to analogue for both left/right channels. Only one of the two ESS SABRE9601K amp's is used for both left/right channels as well.
If true then supposedly we should have a greater noise reduction. That's great for SE users but we only get to use one of the two DP-X1 amps.

The real cool thing is if you want to use AGC in balanced mode you can, same AGC DAC topology as above, but each DP-X1 ESS SABRE9601K amp is dedicated to left and right signals respectively.
My high interest in this is; is balanced only king (one DAC and one amp/channel), or is AGC in balanced mode better? Or both unique that both are king?
To me AGC in balanced is the best of two worlds, one being high-end, well implemented SE but with better grounding, and the other being dedicated left and right channel amps. No idea if that translates into great SQ.

I can only test SE and AGC SE when I get my unit (I have no balanced headphones as of yet) but those who have their own units and balanced headphones, if you have the time please experiment and post your findings. Thanks!

EDIT:
As per nanaholic personal experience with his Onkyo DP-X1, Japanese translations and official documentation, it seems the English sources may have been incorrect; AGC in SE most likley is not sonically viable or redundant. Please read further posts from this point on.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #2,685 of 16,326

Users who are viewing this thread

Back