ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 6, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #2,656 of 16,326
I'm all about balanced today (just picked up the Effect Audio balanced cable this afternoon) so haven't tried the DX-P1 with the Lavricables OTG interconnect and Hugo yet. I will do so soon and post impressions.

I've always said that I think Chord missed a trick not having a balanced option with the Hugo (and yes I love the Hugo - I bought it to stack with an iP6 and have always been blown away by the sound. It's amazing. However, as a guitar player I like tubes, so the arrival of the ALO CDM, and some playing around with different tubes, meant the Hugo has been having a rest lately).

The Hugo has stunning clarity but the soundstage is not massively wide (I haven't tried a Mojo to compare). I was already getting a wider soundstage with single-ended output and CDM than single-ended Hugo. The DP-X1 soundstage running balanced out is wider than Hugo, and the CDM makes it a touch wider still, I think.

Is the DX-P1, with or without CDM, better SQ than Hugo? Almost certainly not. But I'm a soundstage junkie and have been ever since I added a Glove A1 to an AK120 - the Glove has 2.5mm balanced out and i loved the new soundstage.

I know what you mean. Unamped the Hugo's soundstage is not huge (I'm a soundstage junkie too :p) but it is so well layered and well placed. Separation is top notch despite not being the widest sounding.

What really gets to me though is the scale and authority, it really hits hard and full of authority :)

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #2,657 of 16,326
Just to say that there is no issue with 2.5 mm TRRS configuration. It is a standard design.
A&K 2.5 mm will work the same for Onkyo DP-X1.

Great :)
I thought I had read this somewhere in the long thread...

BTW I just got confirmation by Kaneda that the fast shipping option is going to be 3 days for the DP-X1, pretty cheap way to get it way sooner :)

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #2,658 of 16,326
I just got my unit from a friend who had a vacation in Japan. I was lucky that the store he went too has a unit in stock. 

Just spent half an hour with it. So far, really liking what I hear.

My only gripe is, it can't play tracks continuously without a glitch. This is a problem for a live recording album. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #2,659 of 16,326
I just got my unit from a friend who had a vacation in Japan. I was lucky that the store he went too has a unit in stock. 

Just spent half an hour with it. So far, really liking what I hear.

My only gripe is, it can't play tracks continuously without a glitch. This is a problem for a live recording album. 

Yay you posted from the link I sent you on FB! WOOT!

However, what's this about playing tracks continuously? Gapless playback issue? "~"

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #2,661 of 16,326
The agc mode only works with the 2.5 pin.

Hey WCDchee, I just read up on John Darkø's article about the Onkyo and Pioneer units. Here's a quote he mentioned about AGC on the Onkyo DP-X1:

The Onkyo DAP (JPY69,800) doubles up on the Pioneer’s single (-ended) ESS 9018K2M decoding chip for 2.5mm TRSS balanced output (150mW into 32 Ohms) as well as something called Active Ground Control mode that sees the DP-X1’s twin decoders run in serial when dispensing a single-ended signal (75mW into 32 Ohms) via its 3.5mm socket.

Would you mind checking your unit and see if AGC can be applied to the single-ended 3.5 mm please?
Thank you!

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,662 of 16,326
Question regarding PriceJapan:

It seems that this is a legit and reliable source to purchase the Onkyo DP-X1. I tried the checkout process and it was pretty straight forward except I stopped at bill payment since I was expecting to see a PP login.

Do I just complete the purchase and then manually send them money from my PP account to theirs? This concerns me since I don't believe PP guarantees purchases without a PP invoice.

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #2,663 of 16,326
  Question regarding PriceJapan:

It seems that this is a legit and reliable source to purchase the Onkyo DP-X1. I tried the checkout process and it was pretty straight forward except I stopped at bill payment since I was expecting to see a PP login.

Do I just complete the purchase and then manually send them money from my PP account to theirs? This concerns me since I don't believe PP guarantees purchases without a PP invoice.

Thanks!

The site is a bit amateurish, probably a small shop, and to be honest without headfiers recommandations, I wouldn't have purchased there... yes the checkout is not very usual but if you go through, at the last screen you have a Paypal "Pay Now" button that takes you to usual PayPal login then payment screen and you get a PayPal receipt email confirming the order (I looked for it, as I prefer this to sending the payment directly which apparently you can do). Note that they only accept $ (in my case that means exchange rate to euro but...). I'd rather do that than international bank transferts :)

Those guys are really quick to respond, in my case it was like almost 1am there and I still got an answer!

Jan 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,664 of 16,326
That is just your opinion . I am as a zx2 owner is proud and a happy camper. You can wish for X7 to sound better than zx2. Japan zx2 can drive Z7 and th900 full size headphones just fine, and I am not the only one saying it. But if you are not happy, then why buy it ? I am more than happy to trade in the power for more battery and audio quality, just as long as I can find my headphones that work with it, and so far....I had

No need to get so defensive, and yes that is just my opinion. If you read my post carefully you will see that I clearly said I thought many owners will happily keep their ZX2. Now maybe you would find the ZX2 drives a full size loud enough for you, but again, from my perspective 15mW is not enough for my needs. I owned an A17 and it was on full all of the time with efficient portables leaving no headroom so the ZX2 for my needs, and others I'm sure, would be underpowered. As well, sound signature preferences are very subjective, many love the ZX2, some feel it is a little too warm for their taste. It is unrealistic to expect any device to remain on top of the heap for very long and you may need to face the fact that it is quite possible for many people that a DP-X1 or X7 does indeed sound better than the ZX2. Again, that is subjective and nobody is saying you need agree.

I do think; however, that at the retail price the ZX2 goes for, giving the older Android build, smaller screen, weaker amplification power and 1G RAM that it can be argued that the ZX2 is no longer that price competitive. Certainly used when people are asking $750 I can get a new DP-X1 for less so that is something to consider. In two years time the DP-X1 will be talked about like the ZX2 is today, a great design that is now a little off of the lead. I think we sometimes get too emotionally invested in our gear and get offended when others don't agree it is as good as we feel it is.

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #2,665 of 16,326
  It is unrealistic to expect any device to remain on top of the heap for very long and you may need to face the fact that it is quite possible for many people that a DP-X1 or X7 does indeed sound better than the ZX2. Again, that is subjective and nobody is saying you need agree. I do think; however, that at the retail price the ZX2 goes for, giving the older Android build, smaller screen, weaker amplification power and 1G RAM that it can be argued that the ZX2 is no longer that price competitive. Certainly used when people are asking $750 I can get a new DP-X1 for less so that is something to consider. In two years time the DP-X1 will be talked about like the ZX2 is today, a great design that is now a little off of the lead. I think we sometimes get too emotionally invested in our gear and get offended when others don't agree it is as good as we feel it is.

Coming from a ZX2 and waiting for a DP-X1 after testing an XDP-100 for a few days (that I have purchased and will return), lack of power is certainly one of the few minuses of the ZX2. Other minuses are proprietary connector (unwieldy cables for portable AMP/DAC), the fact that there is little update to the system. 

One thing the ZX2 has for it is how unlike any other DAPs it was designed (no off the shelf DAC, POSCAP capacitors, etc...). It's pretty original and with a pretty unique sound signature that you either love or hate. It will also be about synergy with your IEMs / headphones. I think the ZX2 is fairly compact although heavy. DP-X1 will be bigger but lighter. Battery life is incredible on the ZX2, if the DP-X1 is alike XPD-100, average. As you said many will keep it, personally I can't justify owning several high end DAPs so I needed to sell it.

The DP-X1 sporting way more power makes it more flexible to pick future headphones. Real balanced out with dual DAC/amp is certainly one major selling point. Dual SD slot is a bonus, especially when you have a growing library of hi res tracks. Lollipop means no limitations on storing streaming content to SD, that's a big one. I don't care much for bigger screen or more RAM. 

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,666 of 16,326
^ Cool, thanks for the perspective. I am so close to either ordering a DP-X1, or an X7. The X7 is here in Canada and ships right away, the DP-X1 from pricejapan might take weeks yet. I think there are a number of people in this thread who have heard both so I would ask who feels the DP-X1 sounds better than the X7? And if possible, comparing the SE of the Onkyo. Thanks, I'm hoping to order in the next few days.

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2,667 of 16,326
^ Cool, thanks for the perspective. I am so close to either ordering a DP-X1, or an X7. The X7 is here in Canada and ships right away, the DP-X1 from pricejapan might take weeks yet. I think there are a number of people in this thread who have heard both so I would ask who feels the DP-X1 sounds better than the X7? And if possible, comparing the SE of the Onkyo. Thanks, I'm hoping to order in the next few days.

Isn't both using similar ESS Sabres chips ? I guess it is better that you audit them and pick one out for yourself. Dp-x1 advantage is that it is Onkyo, and the Onkyo software is flawless as I am using it everywhere now. Dp-x1 also have balanced output where as X7 you need modules, and I am guessing it won't come cheap either.

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2,668 of 16,326

I ordered from PriceJapan today with fast shipping (they purchase it on retail in that case) and got confirmation today it would be 3 business days before shipping (we'll see), not that bad. Customs are always another story... 

I had gotten the X7, liked the idea of amp modules (especially balanced), after a week I decided to return it. Too many issues. Read the X7 thread lots of EMI issues (due to hardware design = hard to fix), but that's not all. Feels like an unfinished product although they're working hard on frequent firmware updates. The sound quality is very good, but I would characterize it as "relaxed". Bass lack impact coming from ZX2 and high lack detail, mids are full and the high point IMHO. Might depend on what IEMs / Phones you pair it with, YMMV.

I got the XDP-100 when returning the X7, I prefer it over the X7 more detail, more punch and airier with better soundstage and separation. Now the european XDP-100 has volume limitations that are such that it's not even as powerful as the EU ZX2 (although same 85dB regulations), despite the 2x75mW rating at 32 ohms. I decided to return it and get an non EU version... given the price difference, easy choice to go for the DP-X1 instead of the XDP-100 :)

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #2,669 of 16,326
I ordered from PriceJapan today with fast shipping (they purchase it on retail in that case) and got confirmation today it would be 3 business days before shipping (we'll see), not that bad. Customs are always another story... 

I had gotten the X7, liked the idea of amp modules (especially balanced), after a week I decided to return it. Too many issues. Read the X7 thread lots of EMI issues (due to hardware design = hard to fix), but that's not all. Feels like an unfinished product although they're working hard on frequent firmware updates. The sound quality is very good, but I would characterize it as "relaxed". Bass lack impact coming from ZX2 and high lack detail, mids are full and the high point IMHO. Might depend on what IEMs / Phones you pair it with, YMMV.

I got the XDP-100 when returning the X7, I prefer it over the X7 more detail, more punch and airier with better soundstage and separation. Now the european XDP-100 has volume limitations that are such that it's not even as powerful as the EU ZX2 (although same 85dB regulations), despite the 2x75mW rating at 32 ohms. I decided to return it and get an non EU version... given the price difference, easy choice to go for the DP-X1 instead of the XDP-100 :)

Now, thank you for this confirmations. One more to keep in mind :D. Zx2 is not that easy to beat, and many people out there would straight out assume that Zx2 will quickly fade away at the competitions from X7 and DP-X1, and so on.....times will tell, but you are not the first one to have preferred Zx2 over X7....however the power output is real !

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,670 of 16,326
Now, thank you for this confirmations. One more to keep in mind
biggrin.gif
. Zx2 is not that easy to beat, and many people out there would straight out assume that Zx2 will quickly fade away at the competitions from X7 and DP-X1, and so on.....times will tell, but you are not the first one to have preferred Zx2 over X7....however the power output is real !

I am not sure it's a question of product X beating product Y, there is a product for everyone but even people who don't like the ZX2 must hand it to Sony, they built something different here and somewhat of an extreme quality and at the time, ahead of the competition. It seems major players are making moves to shake that and ultimately, competitors will force each other to outdo themselves and that's good for us :)

I think the concept and design of the DP-X1 is interesting with separate circuitry for amp/dac and chip, even if on paper ESS9018 is "only" the K2M version I prefer it to the full ESS9018 in the X7. Many have said it before, implementation is key! I can't wait to hear the DP-X1, given the promise of the XDP-100 experience even limited in power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back