ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 6, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #2,641 of 16,326
Oh my, now you have me get second thoughts on the XDP and looking at PriceJapan, still can return the XDP I might just get a DP-X1!

Also, balanced goodness for soundstage would rock and a unit that is not crippled by stupid EU regulations (my EU XDP sounds not as loud as the 2x15mW ZX2 !!!) would rock...

Get the DP-X1. Just saying.

If you never intend on using balanced headphones stick to Pioneer XDP-100R. You can always use an OTG and bypass all the internal circuitry into a balanced DAC/amp down the line (desktop mainly unless you want a balanced portable DAC/amp).
If, however, you want to experiment and have future options of on-the-go balanced output to balanced headphones in either non-stacked or stacked use (such as ALO CDM), then go for DP-X1. Even then the DP-X1 has serious upgrades over XDP-100R that to me sound like a fantastic investment.

So, GET THE DP-X1. You can thank me, and Head-Fi, later. d^_^b

Edit:
Did it, ordered from PriceJapan with the "fast shipping" option, now off to return the XDP-100!

DAMMIT, you beat my post, but I'm glad you did huzzah! ^^

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,642 of 16,326
Get the DP-X1. Just saying.

If you never intend on using balanced headphones stick to Pioneer XDP-100R. You can always use an OTG and bypass all the internal circuitry into a balanced DAC/amp down the line (desktop mainly unless you want a balanced portable DAC/amp).
If, however, you want to experiment and have future options of on-the-go balanced output to balanced headphones in either non-stacked or stacked use (such as ALO CDM), then go for DP-X1. Even then the DP-X1 has serious upgrades over XDP-100R that to me sound like a fantastic investment.

So, GET THE DP-X1. You can thank me, and Head-Fi, later. d^_^b
DAMMIT, you beat my post, but I'm glad you did huzzah! ^^

Yeah well I already have the 2.5 TRRS cable handy for the S-EM9, and I was so frustrated by the EU volume limitations... plus returning the XDP-100 at retail price (800€ here) for refund will *save* me money even paying the extra for fast shipping (supposed to be 3 days...). So I get balanced with all the goodness, real volume to drive headphones properly as there won't be EU limitations :)

Only thing is warranty in case something goes wrong but finger crossed!

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #2,643 of 16,326
A more accurate statement has never been spoken. :p

Seriously though, good luck with your balanced desktop amp search! Personally, I would look around for a used Schiit Mjolnir Gen. 1. They can be had for around $400 these days!

- InsanityOne :dt880smile:  

Ha ha ha, I know, right?

And thanks dude.
My quest for a balanced desktop amp will be later this year.

:D

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,644 of 16,326
So:
Test album: "Tedeschi Trucks Band Live - Everybody's Talking". I just downloaded it today on Tidal, so no preconceptions, and I thought it might be interesting to try this little comparison with a recording of a live gig.

DP-X1 by itself, balanced out: Great soundstage, definitely a smooth sound sig, as DAPs go; good bass, strong but not overpowering mids. Sounds like being at the gig just as much as the other two setups below.
DP-X1 balanced out > ALO 2.5mm - 2.5mm interconnect > CDM 2.5mm balanced in > CDM 2.5mm balanced headphone out: more pronounced mids. Sounds very live. Bass more focused and in your face.
DP-X1 digital out > Lavricables micro USB - OTG > CDM digital in > CDM 2.5mm balanced headphone out: smoother sound (love those tubes). Very non-fatiguing. Slightly wider soundstage.

Worth noting that the CDM's sample frequency light appears to indicate 176, despite Tidal being CD quality at best, as far as I remember. I should also mention that I had the CDM on the high gain setting (there are high and low options), as I like the extra punch, and it suited the live gig atmosphere. Switching the gain to low makes it even smoother - works well for EDM.

I'm sure this is a very niche combo for impressions but I mention it in case anyone else has the same stuff.

Pic above: DP-X1 + ALO CDM plus the necessary cables to A/B the setups described above (and yes you have to turn the Onkyo around to connect the 2.5mm interconnect to its balanced out!). The pic obviously shows the Onkyo running the IEMs by itself from its balanced output.

IEMs: Rhapsiodo Solar. Cable: Effect Audio Eros 8-braid hybrid - 2.5mm balanced connection.

I then repeated the whole thing with my Earsonics Velvets, which are a smoother, perhaps darker sound sig. The comparisons between the three setups remained the same.
Fantastic soundstage even with the DP-X1 by itself. In fact I preferred the whole setup with the Velvets, as they really convey the bass that you get at a live gig (albeit with less focus and precision than the Solars). I've avoided much talk of preference because everyone's mileage and sound signature preference varies, as we all know.

Summary: DP-X1 sound amazing balanced out, and I am delighted to have one dedicated little box to carry around that sounds so good. It is not embarrassed by adding the extra box at all. I'd be very happy using it solo all the time.
Also very happy that it pairs so well with the CDM, especially using the digital out (thank you Konstantin at Lavricables for making me the interconnect and shipping it at very short notice), which adds something extra and makes the Onkyo a great transport when pocketability is not the top priority.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #2,645 of 16,326
Yeah well I already have the 2.5 TRRS cable handy for the S-EM9, and I was so frustrated by the EU volume limitations... plus returning the XDP-100 at retail price (700€ here) for refund will *save* me money even paying the extra for fast shipping (supposed to be 3 days...). So I get balanced with all the goodness, real volume to drive headphones properly as there won't be EU limitations :)

Only thing is warranty in case something goes wrong but finger crossed!

From all I've heard the power of the DP-X1 is very good, and great SQ. Our opinions will materialise once we get our units of course.

Envious of you getting a better deal on the DP-X1 than I did, but a question; did you buy the DP-X1 with screen protector (Onkyo DPA-GL033) and leather case (Onkyo DPA-PUX1) at checkout?

Warranty, and lowered customs, has be shaking atm but I'm positive. I'll be looking after my invest very carefully...

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #2,646 of 16,326
Fantastic soundstage even with the DP-X1 by itself. In fact I preferred the whole setup with the Velvets, as they really convey the bass that you get at a live gig (albeit with less focus and precision than the Solars). I've avoided much talk of preference because everyone's mileage and sound signature preference varies, as we all know.

Interesting and great news for me, as the S-EM9 share some DNA with the Velvet with better dynamics and precision :D

Out of curiosity, I think I have read on this thread that some 2.5mm TRRS cable don't work with the DP-X1 (or am I mistaken? I think it was something like it's not the same as AK 2.5mm). I got one from Whiplash, hope it will work alright!

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #2,647 of 16,326
@fidelitycastro glad to hear you're enjoying your dpx1! As has been asked, I'd be interested to hear your views on SE vs balanced using Tidal.

Also I'm assuming you have no issues off lining Tidal music to either internal or mini sd?

Ps thanks for your helpful comments a few weeks ago :)

Hi @muso
Sorry I should've mentioned that stuff. No issues directing Tidal offline albums to mini SD. Having said that, I've still only 80% filled one mini SD card, so not sure if it will automatically spill onto the second mini SD when the first one is full of offline Tidal stuff.

In terms of SE vs balanced, there is no question that balanced is a step up, or should I say "step out", as the soundstage widens perceptibly. I love a wide soundstage, so this is exactly the right result for me.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,648 of 16,326
So:
Test album: "Tedeschi Trucks Bank Live - Everybody's Talking". I just downloaded it today on Tidal, so no preconceptions, and I thought it might be interesting to try this little comparison with a recording of a live gig.

DP-X1 by itself, balanced out: Great soundstage, definitely a smooth sound sig, as DAPs go; good bass, strong but not overpowering mids. Sounds like being at the gig just as much as the other two setups below.
DP-X1 balanced out > ALO 2.5mm - 2.5mm interconnect > CDM 2.5mm balanced in > CDM 2.5mm balanced headphone out: more pronounced mids. Sounds very live. Bass more focused and in your face.
DP-X1 digital out > Lavricables micro USB - OTG > CDM digital in > CDM 2.5mm balanced headphone out: smoother sound (love those tubes). Very non-fatiguing. Slightly wider soundstage.

Worth noting that the CDM's sample frequency light appears to indicate 176, despite Tidal being CD quality at best, as far as I remember. I should also mention that I had the CDM on the high gain setting (there are high and low options), as I like the extra punch, and it suited the live gig atmosphere. Switching the gain to low makes it even smoother - works well for EDM.

I'm sure this is a very niche combo for impressions but I mention it in case anyone else has the same stuff.

Pic above: DP-X1 + ALO CDM plus the necessary cables to A/B the setups described above (and yes you have to turn the Onkyo around to connect the 2.5mm interconnect to its balanced out!). The pic obviously shows the Onkyo running the IEMs by itself from its balanced output.

IEMs: Rhapsiodo Solar. Cable: Effect Audio Eros 8-braid hybrid - 2.5mm balanced connection.

I then repeated the whole thing with my Earsonics Velvets, which are a smoother, perhaps darker sound sig. The comparisons between the three setups remained the same.

Summary: DP-X1 sound amazing balanced out, and I am delighted to have one dedicated little box to carry around that sounds so good. It is not embarrassed by adding the extra box at all. I'd be very happy using it solo all the time.
Also very happy that it pairs so well with the CDM, especially using the digital out (thank you Komstantin at Lavricables for making me the interconnect and shipping it at very short notice), which adds something extra and makes the Onkyo a great transport when pocketability is not the top priority.

How does the Onkyo sound as a transport for my Favourite Hugo? :p never got a chance to try that. The Hugo is so good it literally ****s bricks on any Dap ive tried. To me at least :) the mojo is in some ways very very close, but sadly loses out in the open staging and the overall authority and scale. Nevertheless, I think if you could do with mojo's decent but not huge soundstage, it's technically quite the distance ahead of any Dap on the market now.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #2,649 of 16,326
Hi @muso
Sorry I should've mentioned that stuff. No issues directing Tidal offline albums to mini SD. Having said that, I've still only 80% filled one mini SD card, so not sure if it will automatically spill onto the second mini SD when the first one is full of offline Tidal stuff.

In terms of SE vs balanced, there is no question that balanced is a step up, or should I say "step out", as the soundstage widens perceptibly. I love a wide soundstage, so this is exactly the right result for me.

It's not simply the size of the stage, it re creates space and air so much better, transparency and resolution are up a clear notch or two. The fine texturing just comes to life going balanced.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,650 of 16,326
So:
Test album: "Tedeschi Trucks Bank Live - Everybody's Talking". I just downloaded it today on Tidal, so no preconceptions, and I thought it might be interesting to try this little comparison with a recording of a live gig.

Also very happy that it pairs so well with the CDM, especially using the digital out (thank you Komstantin at Lavricables for making me the interconnect and shipping it at very short notice), which adds something extra and makes the Onkyo a great transport when pocketability is not the top priority.

In summary, the DP-X1 is a superb sounding standalone device!

That's awesome!

However, two more tests:
Please use device in single ended mode, and again in SE but with ACG on. Then compare both to balanced out (without ALO CDM).

In my case, the fact that the DAC circuitry is amazing when you bypass internal amplifier to an external balanced amp means that I'll have an amazing experience once I get a balanced desktop balanced amp.

Very happy.

Thank you so much FidelityCastro!

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #2,651 of 16,326

In summary, the DP-X1 is a superb sounding standalone device!

That's awesome!

However, two more tests:
Please use device in single ended mode, and again in SE but with ACG on. Then compare both to balanced out (without ALO CDM).

In my case, the fact that the DAC circuitry is amazing when you bypass internal amplifier to an external balanced amp means that I'll have an amazing experience once I get a balanced desktop balanced amp.

Very happy.

Thank you so much FidelityCastro!

The agc mode only works with the 2.5 pin.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #2,652 of 16,326
Interesting and great news for me, as the S-EM9 share some DNA with the Velvet with better dynamics and precision :D

Out of curiosity, I think I have read on this thread that some 2.5mm TRRS cable don't work with the DP-X1 (or am I mistaken? I think it was something like it's not the same as AK 2.5mm). I got one from Whiplash, hope it will work alright!

Just to say that there is no issue with 2.5 mm TRRS configuration. It is a standard design.
A&K 2.5 mm will work the same for Onkyo DP-X1.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,653 of 16,326
The agc mode only works with the 2.5 pin.

Oh...ok, I thought you could use dual DAC's into 3.5 mm SE with ACG, my bad.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,654 of 16,326
How does the Onkyo sound as a transport for my Favourite Hugo? :p never got a chance to try that. The Hugo is so good it literally ****s bricks on any Dap ive tried. To me at least :) the mojo is in some ways very very close, but sadly loses out in the open staging and the overall authority and scale. Nevertheless, I think if you could do with mojo's decent but not huge soundstage, it's technically quite the distance ahead of any Dap on the market now.

I'm all about balanced today (just picked up the Effect Audio balanced cable this afternoon) so haven't tried the DX-P1 with the Lavricables OTG interconnect and Hugo yet. I will do so soon and post impressions.

I've always said that I think Chord missed a trick not having a balanced option with the Hugo (and yes I love the Hugo - I bought it to stack with an iP6 and have always been blown away by the sound. It's amazing. However, as a guitar player I like tubes, so the arrival of the ALO CDM, and some playing around with different tubes, meant the Hugo has been having a rest lately).

The Hugo has stunning clarity but the soundstage is not massively wide (I haven't tried a Mojo to compare). I was already getting a wider soundstage with single-ended output and CDM than single-ended Hugo. The DP-X1 soundstage running balanced out is wider than Hugo, and the CDM makes it a touch wider still, I think.

Is the DX-P1, with or without CDM, better SQ than Hugo? Almost certainly not. But I'm a soundstage junkie and have been ever since I added a Glove A1 to an AK120 - the Glove has 2.5mm balanced out and i loved the new soundstage.

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #2,655 of 16,326
I'm all about balanced today (just picked up the Effect Audio balanced cable this afternoon) so haven't tried it with the Hugo yet. I will do so soon and post impressions.

I've always said that I think Chord missed a trick not having a balanced option with the Hugo (and yes I love the Hugo - I bought it to stack with an iP6 and have always been blown away by the sound. It's amazing. However, as a guitar player I like tubes, so the arrival of the ALO CDM, and some playing around with different tubes, meant the Hugo has been having a rest lately).

The Hugo has stunning clarity but the soundstage is not massively wide (I haven't tried a Mojo to compare). I was already getting a wider soundstage with single-ended output and CDM than single-ended Hugo. The DP-X1 soundstage running balanced out is wider than Hugo, and the CDM makes it a touch wider still, I think.

Is the DX-P1, with or without CDM, better SQ than Hugo? Almost certainly not. But I'm a soundstage junkie and have been ever since I added a Glove A1 to an AK120 - the Glove has 2.5mm balanced out and i loved the new soundstage.

I'm similar in that my early (10 years ago?) headphones and earphones were Etymotic ER-6i, Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 10, and AKG K 701.
Though I used to believe that one must only listen to analytical cans (till I got the KEF Audio M500 in Dec '13, and around then I upgraded my AKG cans to the K 712), I've always loved airy, large/wide soundstages. This is why I don't use my Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro headphones as I find them very small sounding.
(I also have Heir Audio 4.Ai IEM's with huge soundstage; a baby AKG K 712. However my ears get too much pain with any tip I use with them. Until I can afford customs, well, Noble Audio K10's, I'm out of the IEM camp).

I love large sounding, airy headphones with one exception, KEF Audio M500 (harmonically rich but neither too airy or wide; if KEF improve on this on an updated model I WILL BE THERE), so based on your impressions on the DP-X1 balanced I'll be having eargasms.

However, I very much would like to know the sound of the DP-X1 in SE, and compared to Balanced.
I'll be using the DP-X1 for both SE (first) and balanced daily use, so it's important to me that the DP-X1 can deliver on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back