ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 4, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #2,567 of 16,326
  DoP may be less "pure", but honestly, if the player sounds good, which the DP-X1 does, what does it matter?

And for everyone else, sorry, but the XDP-100R and DP-X1 DO NOT sound the same even out of single ended output. Yes I know the DP-X1 only uses one DAC and amp for single ended but they are tuned differently, something obvious when comparing them side by side.

So which one sounds better to you ears?

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,568 of 16,326
  The question of how the Onkyo will sound compared to the X7 I think was briefly mentioned by a user(Rudi I think) earlier in the thread, pretty sure he found the X1 overall the better sounding player, although that is just one person's take on it.

I had the X7 but had the WiFi issue and to be honest didn't want to risk another unti witht he same issue so took a refund.  Hoping that the Onkyo can live up to the X7's sound quality as despite the WiFi issue it did sound very good.  Not quite as detailed and full as my phone/mojo combo but not too far off.

Just waiting patiently for the Onkyo to turn up from pricejapan.

Almost everyone that I know who have tried both DP X1 and X7 prefer the DP X1. 

Most common impressions for the X7:
Too smooth
Too lifeless/dull
UI needs improvement

The faults are mostly attributed to the amp as the X7 line out function is quite good.

Jan 4, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #2,569 of 16,326
The question of how the Onkyo will sound compared to the X7 I think was briefly mentioned by a user(Rudi I think) earlier in the thread, pretty sure he found the X1 overall the better sounding player, although that is just one person's take on it.

I had the X7 but had the WiFi issue and to be honest didn't want to risk another unti witht he same issue so took a refund.  Hoping that the Onkyo can live up to the X7's sound quality as despite the WiFi issue it did sound very good.  Not quite as detailed and full as my phone/mojo combo but not too far off.

Just waiting patiently for the Onkyo to turn up from pricejapan.

While fixing the X7 wifi issues, please add an extra sd slot somewhere. :)

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #2,570 of 16,326
  DoP may be less "pure", but honestly, if the player sounds good, which the DP-X1 does, what does it matter?

And for everyone else, sorry, but the XDP-100R and DP-X1 DO NOT sound the same even out of single ended output. Yes I know the DP-X1 only uses one DAC and amp for single ended but they are tuned differently, something obvious when comparing them side by side.

fully agree!!!

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #2,573 of 16,326
  A newbie question about balanced output.

Can any IEM be changed to balanced simply by replacing the cable to a balanced 2.5mm 4 pole cable?

yes

If so, where do you buy a good cable?

ALO or Wagnus perhaps? I'm getting official Fitear cable 006b for my TG334.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,574 of 16,326

So which one sounds better to you ears?

My own preference swings to the DP-X1, but it is very much down to preference as is much else in this hobby; the Pioneer is leaner and more upfront while the Onkyo is more laid back and has more colouration. The XDP-100R in the photo belongs to a friend who prefers it to the DP-X1.

I'm biased cause I own 2 cables made from their wires and love them to bits but check Plussound out for some great sounding and looking cables with fantastic ergonomics at non-terrifying prices.

Jan 4, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2,575 of 16,326
  My own preference swings to the DP-X1, but it is very much down to preference as is much else in this hobby; the Pioneer is leaner and more upfront while the Onkyo is more laid back and has more colouration. The XDP-100R in the photo belongs to a friend who prefers it to the DP-X1.

Bro, i hv to agree with u, currently using x7, i demo both the pioneer n onkyo, i must say pioneer is more clean n clinical sounding while onkyo is more coloured n with a wider soundstage compare to my x7, so after much consideration, i pre ordered the x1, cant wait liao!!!

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,576 of 16,326

Can any IEM be changed to balanced simply by replacing the cable to a balanced 2.5mm 4 pole cable? If so, where do you buy a good cable?

If your IEMs have removable cables then the answer is yes - just get a balanced cable from the many sources (start with Ebay).  If the cables are not removable, the answer is not a simple `yes` (or no).  To run headphones balanced you need to separate the grounds, meaning a + and a - wire must run to each side, meaning you need 4 wires running from the plug (which is why the 2.5mm balanced plug has 4 visible sections and most regular single-ended 3.5mm plugs have only 3 - the ground wires going to right and left earpieces are fused).   If your IEM`s cable is not removable but has 4 wires to the plug, then a simple re-termination can be done with a 2.5 TRRS balanced plug.  If it only has 3 wires, which I believe is more common, then the situation is more complicated, requiring the cable to be replaced all the way from the spitter to the plug.  

The trend seems to be that IEM makers who prefer non-removable cables are switching to 4-wire cables (also called a 4-conductor cable) because more and more people want to convert them to a balanced connector.  Two notable, recent IEMs to be upgraded to 4-wire cables are Dunu`s DN-2000J and Ocharaku`s new Keyaki Ti.  

When I auditioned the DP-X1 with my UM Maverick I tried both the single-ended and balanced outputs (with different cables of course) and like many people preferred the balanced. 

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #2,578 of 16,326

I have a good Wagnus balanced cable as well, although it is very inflexible, so it's a pain to stay over my ears and to roll up for pocket storage. My favourite is from Effect Audio. It's a 8-wire (you often see 4 as the norm, but some would argue that an '8-braid' adds certain incremental improvements) and easy to travel with. And sounds great with all of my IEMs.

Like most things, you need to try a few. Silver-based cables tends to be a little brighter sounding, while copper is warmer sounding (possibly not unlike the differences that are being ascribed to the Pioneer and Onkyo DAPs in this thread), or you can have various combinations of both (my preference). It will depend on the DAP, the IEM, and your preferred sound signature - there's no right or wrong. Lots of reviews on these forums to help, too.

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #2,580 of 16,326
Does anyone know the difference between fed ex and ems from pricejapan (other than cost of course)? Their site recommends ems...thx

Honestly I do not know the difference, but what I DO know is that most foreign businesses that ship overseas prefer EMS. I have purchased many things from overseas and the items have always come via. EMS. EMS may be slightly slower (in general) than Fedex, but I have always had good experiences with them. Also, as you can most likely tell, EMS is by far the cheapest shipping option when it comes to shipping to / from foreign countries.

Edit: Also just so everyone knows, the Onkyo DPA-PUX1 (slim leather case) is now available as an "add-on" item for the DP-X1 on PriceJapan. It only costs an extra 4,290 yen ($36 USD).

- InsanityOne 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back