ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 3, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #2,551 of 16,326
I nearly did some months back but I have been busy changing jobs, amongst other things, and back then I was highly interested in the Pioneer/Onkyo models.

Michael Mercer likes the X1 btw

Yes been following the reviews as my perk was for mid Jan shipping for the Finder. I am glad people seem to be positively surprised by it, it instills a bit of confidence for how the Explorer might turn up if their first ever product is really pretty good.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,552 of 16,326
In reference to my previous post about what cable / adapter would be needed to connect the DP-X1 to balanced amps like the RSA SR-71B or the ALO RX3_B, I have since found a much simpler solution than getting an adapter + cable.

ALO actually makes an A&K 2.5mm TRRS to Mini-Balanced cable called the SXC 24. It is pricey, but you could use it as a reference to get a cheaper cable made for you. Hopefully some of you will find this helpful.

- InsanityOne 
L3000.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,553 of 16,326
In reference to my previous post about what cable / adapter would be needed to connect the DP-X1 to balanced amps like the RSA SR-71B or the ALO RX3_B, I have since found a much simpler solution than getting an adapter + cable.

ALO actually makes an A&K 2.5mm TRRS to Mini-Balanced cable called the SXC 24. It is pricey, but you could use it as a reference to get a cheaper cable made for you. Hopefully some of you will find this helpful.

- InsanityOne :L3000:  

Though not necessary for my use, that's an awesome find!
I'm sure there will be other's who will love this cable ^^

I also assume you could ask an aftermarket cable maker make one for you, such as Double Helix Cables :wink:

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #2,554 of 16,326
Though not necessary for my use, that's an awesome find!
I'm sure there will be other's who will love this cable ^^

I also assume you could ask an aftermarket cable maker make one for you, such as Double Helix Cables
wink.gif

Oh yes, I am sure that many other places / people could easily make a much cheaper cable than this as long as they knew their way around a soldering iron. Personally I have never been a fan of expensive silver cables, as I prefer the warmer sound of copper, but that is a conversation for a different thread.

- InsanityOne 
k701smile.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #2,555 of 16,326
The question of how the Onkyo will sound compared to the X7 I think was briefly mentioned by a user(Rudi I think) earlier in the thread, pretty sure he found the X1 overall the better sounding player, although that is just one person's take on it.

I had the X7 but had the WiFi issue and to be honest didn't want to risk another unti witht he same issue so took a refund.  Hoping that the Onkyo can live up to the X7's sound quality as despite the WiFi issue it did sound very good.  Not quite as detailed and full as my phone/mojo combo but not too far off.

Just waiting patiently for the Onkyo to turn up from pricejapan.

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #2,556 of 16,326
  The question of how the Onkyo will sound compared to the X7 I think was briefly mentioned by a user(Rudi I think) earlier in the thread, pretty sure he found the X1 overall the better sounding player, although that is just one person's take on it.

I had the X7 but had the WiFi issue and to be honest didn't want to risk another unti witht he same issue so took a refund.  Hoping that the Onkyo can live up to the X7's sound quality as despite the WiFi issue it did sound very good.  Not quite as detailed and full as my phone/mojo combo but not too far off.

I don't think Onkyo's support is that great compared to Fiio. X7 just came out recently so you should have waited for a while for it to become stable

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #2,557 of 16,326

I tried the X7 quite extensively and ended up with the DP-X1. The X7 to my ears, just doesn't sound mature and 'right' enough. Like they didn't work on the sound to polish and refine it enough. Huge potential. But not well tuned/developed sound wise. DP-X1 however, sounds phenomenal and you can't really fault the sound. Its just a matter if it's your sonic preference or not.

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #2,559 of 16,326

I don't think Onkyo's support is that great compared to Fiio. X7 just came out recently so you should have waited for a while for it to become stable

That wasn't possible really as the WiFi issue was hardware related and not fixable through FW, this was quoted to me direct from Fiio.  Their advice was to download the music I requred then turn WiFi off.  My issue with this was that WiFi streaming was a feature I may want to use and didn't really want to keep a £500 player that wasn't working to it's full potential. 

If in the future Fiio fully fix this issue and I read enough reports that the X7 is superior soundwise to the DP-X1 then I will probably buy the X7 again.

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #2,560 of 16,326
  Hi, I would like to ask. does the onkyo dp-x1 can play native dsd playback? or it's just converted to PCM playback?
I look at this website http://www.jp.onkyo.com/audiovisual/headphone/dpx1/spec.htm, that the DSD file converted into PCM.
please enlighten me, because I am newbie
Thank you!

It does not have native DSD playback. It converts to PCM default at 48kHz, except if you use upsampling mode.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #2,563 of 16,326
From PriceJapan website:

"Please select EMS shipping, as soon as possible. 
Fedex shipping may be delayed in case of this item."

What does this mean? I selected Fedex shipping since November and I don't think I can change shipping method to EMS by now.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #2,564 of 16,326
  From PriceJapan website:

"Please select EMS shipping, as soon as possible. 
Fedex shipping may be delayed in case of this item."

What does this mean? I selected Fedex shipping since November and I don't think I can change shipping method to EMS by now.

His English isn't the best as it's not his native language.
It just means FedEx shipping will be delayed, so select EMS for faster shipping.

You can email him to change shipping method (assuming it hasn't already shipped out)

Jan 4, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #2,565 of 16,326

Damn. I was ready to pull the trigger on this, now not so sure. Then again, dont have much DSD source music :)

DoP may be less "pure", but honestly, if the player sounds good, which the DP-X1 does, what does it matter?

And for everyone else, sorry, but the XDP-100R and DP-X1 DO NOT sound the same even out of single ended output. Yes I know the DP-X1 only uses one DAC and amp for single ended but they are tuned differently, something obvious when comparing them side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back