ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #15,436 of 16,326
Audeze accidentally sent me a LCD2C in error instead of the isine 20s. So I got to listen to both and I decided to keep the LCD2C instead. The isine 20 sound wonderful but they hurt my ears. I really want to get a j h Roxanne. Might be awhile before I get those though

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #15,437 of 16,326
I'm sorry I'm new to this thread, but is the bloatware really that distracting with this player? I have an AK 120 II that I'm going to sell and buy a cheaper player with an amp. So I'm considering this one.
Hello and welcome :)
Other then the normal Google bloatware on Android, the DP-X1 is surprisingly clean. It does has 1 (yes, 1 :) ) Onkyo app that could be considered minimal bloatware (it promotes Onkyo HD Music in it when you live in the US, UK or Germany and has some other stuff in it) but that can be disabled.
The Google stuff can not be deleted but you can disable it like usual on Android.

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #15,439 of 16,326
Hi! How is the situation now? Do you have it recovered?

No, never got it back to that first sound. Maybe its just me, I dont know. But I know what I heard. I was amazed by the clarity and now I listen and focus so hard but its not as clean.

Anyway I paired it with Fiio E12a and the sound is much better. And I also ordered a balanced cable, see if that helps.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #15,440 of 16,326
No, never got it back to that first sound. Maybe its just me, I dont know. But I know what I heard. I was amazed by the clarity and now I listen and focus so hard but its not as clean.

Anyway I paired it with Fiio E12a and the sound is much better. And I also ordered a balanced cable, see if that helps.
hi, have check that EQ is turned off, also the digital filter/lock range and balanced mode settings? maybe if it still doesnt work you can try a factory reset...

Feb 18, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #15,441 of 16,326
hi, have check that EQ is turned off, also the digital filter/lock range and balanced mode settings? maybe if it still doesnt work you can try a factory reset...

Ah man your the best! Thanks for the advice. Did a factory reset and Im back baby, Im back. That EXACT sound is back.
What a relief.

Never gonna change a setting again. Just going to listen to it as it is.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #15,442 of 16,326
The only way to have a nearly universal EQ on the DP-X1, is to root it, and install Viper4Android.
It works for most media playing apps on my DP-X1 (TuneIn Radio is an exception).

So this is one of my questions...is there no way to get Viper on the DP-X1A without rooting. I'm just afraid if something goes wrong - the warranty is voided. Is there anyway to reverse the process once rooted or if the process fails?

Thanks

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #15,443 of 16,326
Ah man your the best! Thanks for the advice. Did a factory reset and Im back baby, Im back. That EXACT sound is back.
What a relief.

Never gonna change a setting again. Just going to listen to it as it is.

i think you shouldnt be too afraid of changing the settings, so far after nearly 2 years of using DP-X1 i have never find a setting to affect sound in such a huge (and bad) way. yours probably suffered from a very rare bug or something. you should definitely adjust the lock range/digital filter settings to your liking :) and dont forget to use ACG balanced mode if you are using it with easy-to-drive balanced earphones/headphones.

enjoy your dp-x1 :)

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #15,444 of 16,326
Three questions for the experts:

1. Having never rooted a device, is it safe to do so or can it brick the unit (DP-X1A)? I loved the Viper Effects on my previous X5-III and would love to have them on the Onkyo.

2. Is there somewhere that gives complete instructions for rooting this device or can someone post it so that you can get everything in one spot?

3. Most of my files are either FLAC or WMA (variable). Would they benefit with the DSD playback feature?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #15,445 of 16,326
Three questions for the experts:

1. Having never rooted a device, is it safe to do so or can it brick the unit (DP-X1A)? I loved the Viper Effects on my previous X5-III and would love to have them on the Onkyo.

2. Is there somewhere that gives complete instructions for rooting this device or can someone post it so that you can get everything in one spot?

3. Most of my files are either FLAC or WMA (variable). Would they benefit with the DSD playback feature?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not sure I'd call myself an expert, but I have rooted some Android tablets, a Google Nexus 5 Phone, and my Onkyo DP-X1B.
Doing searches in this thread for fastboot or adb, will lead you to some posts by @damex and @XVortex that have instructions for rooting the DP-X1B, and a later link to the updated Recovery Image for the DP-X1A.

Going from memory -
1.) Download (from Google) and install adb and fastboot on your PC. Ensure that the USB drivers for the DP-X1 are installed.
https://lifehacker.com/google-finally-lets-you-download-adb-and-fastboot-as-st-1790840830

2.) Download the TWRP Recovery image for the DP-X1A to your PC.
https://github.com/efenex/TWRP_Rai_Zin_32/

3.) Follow the instructions in this post [ https://www.head-fi.org/threads/onk...d-256-android-5.780642/page-743#post-12834357 ], but use the TWRP Recovery image you downloaded in Step 2.

4.) Download the latest SuperSU, and install it with TWRP.
https://download.chainfire.eu/1113/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.82-20170528234214.zip

Hope this helps.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #15,448 of 16,326
i don't really take any precaution, probably the only one i take is to ensure that when my earphone is connected dp-x1 i do not put stress on the socket (like when climbing stairs with dp-x1 in my pocket), which i usually always do for all DAP anyway

It's been mentioned many times before, but I'll chime in anyways that you can secure the sockets against damage by adding sugru to seal the area surrounding them. It will not make them accident proof however. Even with the sugru, I still baby the player and do not venture with it outside, so it's pretty much a stationary player at this point. I know that defeats the purpose of a portable DAP, but for me it's just a temporary device until I upgrade.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #15,449 of 16,326
yup! actually a few weeks ago i applied black sugru fill the gaps just in case. the gaps on my dp-x1 are very small anyway so it was a bit difficult to get the sugru in. also black sugru look well with the dp-x1.
also i understand your sentiment, i got a new player (opus#2), as i have feeling my dp-x1 will not last long from now (its 1.5 years old!)

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #15,450 of 16,326
I dont have any hissing when using my Alclair RSM CIEMs. I think the Onkyo sounds best with BAs with a slight hint of warmth.
If you like precise sound and clarity the Onkyo is the one for you. If you like a warmer smooth sound the X5iii would be it. Thats why I have both for the days I want one over the other. However my choice between the two would be the Onkyo.

Since Onkyo has such a wide range of EQ possibilities, why not just tune it for you given set of headphones and listening preferences? Not using the EQ functions is assuming that the recording was made and mixed exacty as you like it, the playback is perfectly flat, your hearing is perfect. I anyone of these variables applies - not using the EQ is limiting your listening experience.

I always had to shake my head when I walked into a home with supposedly GREAT system and price tag to match and listened to music that sounded like crap because the owner refused to move the tone controls. I've never been in a residential home listening room that was perfectly flat and in tune with the recording studio where the music was mixed. But then, since you paid so much, it must be flat.... another audio myth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back