ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 2, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #15,391 of 16,326
Has anyone here went through with repair of 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks with Romo Audio? Would like to hear your experience as well as how good the jack feels after repair.

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #15,392 of 16,326
I usually take good care of my gear as well but the 3.5mm was loose after about 2 months and the 2.5mm was just not secured to begin with :frowning2:

I have similar problem. My approach in solving this loose jack issue was to add spacer between the copper ring and the male jack. You can DIY this using cellophane tape over the hole. I added about 5 layers (depending on your tape thickness, I was targeting 0.2-0.3 mm) and used a pen knife to cut out the hole. Not perfect but it works.

My thought on this was; there is too much play between the jack and the copper ring diameter. It will affect the last contact. Usually the jack clicks when it is inserted fully. By adding the spacer, the bulge that gives the click was moved back to the point it still maintaining contact with the spring loaded last contact making it less susceptible to lose contact when we bumped the jack or jerked the cable.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #15,393 of 16,326
I have similar problem. My approach in solving this loose jack issue was to add spacer between the copper ring and the male jack. You can DIY this using cellophane tape over the hole. I added about 5 layers (depending on your tape thickness, I was targeting 0.2-0.3 mm) and used a pen knife to cut out the hole. Not perfect but it works.

My thought on this was; there is too much play between the jack and the copper ring diameter. It will affect the last contact. Usually the jack clicks when it is inserted fully. By adding the spacer, the bulge that gives the click was moved back to the point it still maintaining contact with the spring loaded last contact making it less susceptible to lose contact when we bumped the jack or jerked the cable.
That's probably one way to go about it. Still silly that a DAP that released for something like 700 or 800 dollars has such an obvious and important flaw.

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #15,395 of 16,326
a few years on and onkyo has yet to add gapless and cue support. The lack of cue support is infuriating; causing me to split quite a number of my albums one by one.

Feb 12, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #15,400 of 16,326
Thanks alot for the answer!

One last question. Any toughts on burn in on this device? Will it get better? Cause right now the sound is good, very clear, but no wow feeling.

Taking times to burn in. The more you listen the better sound you’ll get. You will hear the “wow effect” one day it depends on how often you listen to the DP-X1!

Feb 12, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #15,401 of 16,326
Taking times to burn in. The more you listen the better sound you’ll get. You will hear the “wow effect” one day it depends on how often you listen to the DP-X1!

Well that sounds good. Im gonna play it as much as I can.
And will both sides get burned? If I one day get 2.5mm cable, will one channel sound good and one still unburned? Or do they have commun caps maybe?

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #15,402 of 16,326
Well that sounds good. Im gonna play it as much as I can.
And will both sides get burned? If I one day get 2.5mm cable, will one channel sound good and one still unburned? Or do they have commun caps maybe?

I believe that balanced output 2.5mm using 2 DACs and setting on ACG for best sounding (sorry if I am wrong!). However, if you like best sounding of SE 3.5mm you got to have a good headphones or IEMs (in my case I use Empire Ears CIEMs Spartan IV).

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #15,405 of 16,326
Hey guys my first post....

So, I just picked up an Onkyo DPX1A, I'll be using it in a few ways, as a portable with some shure 315se In-ears, and inexpensive cans, and at home, with nicer cans (HD-600's) A few questions. I will mainly be dropping my FLAC cd rips, and Hi-REZ (24bit and DSD) downloads, also using Google Play Music on the go.

Couple questions.

The DAP sounds really good with the Shure's, also the AT-M50's and ATH-A990Z's which makes sense, they are around the 40ohm range, the HD-600's are 300ohms, and while the Onkyo will drive them, I would like to utilize them to their full potential. I was leaning towards the Shiit Magni 3 $99 solid state or the Vali 2$149 (tube pre hybrid) To my ears the Onkyo is a tad bright compared to what I've used my cans with in the past, do you think the Vali would give a slighter smoother sound or would I most likely have to go full tube?

My next question: The Onkyo only has a "Line level" out (3.5mm) headphone jack, I assume when I activate line out mode it turns the volume all the way up? Is that ok hooking up to an external amp via 3.5mm to RCA? Does it bypass the amp section of the Onkyo when line out is activated?
The other route would to go the DAC and amp Route for home, maybe a modi 2 along with a magni 3, I'd like the Jotunheim$399 with the DAC ad-on and to go balanced, unfortunately my budget doesn't allow this at this time. :wink:

So I would use the Onkyo usb Digital out (USB) and this cable?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N39YYPL/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A22X29F5BSK656

from the onkyo to the Modi 2? and obviously rca's from the DAC to the AMP. Would going this route disable the Onkyo DAC's and Amp section, basically turning the Onkyo into a transport? (file player)

I guess I'm just trying to get the best out of my HD600's while at home, and while I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, I don't mind having extra gear to do it properly. Thanks for any and all input. Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back