ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 27, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #15,317 of 16,326
Did you use Kingroot?
I am not that fond of rooting, have some bad experiences with rooting phones :p

No, I used the directions and file downloads, posted here in this thread sometime last year.

If you do a search, within this thread, for "fastboot", you'll find posts with links to the TWRP and SuperSU downloads, as well as the steps for how to unlock the Bootloader if it's locked (mine wasn't), and how to install the TWRP and SuperSU.

In order for the Viper4Android processing to work, the DP-X1 needs to be rooted, and SELinux switched to Permissive.
I also use several Xposed Framework Modules, to change the way that some of the Android system works on my DP-X1 - and it has to be rooted to install the Xposed Framework.

Dec 28, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #15,318 of 16,326
Be aware that the pictured 2.5mm 4-Pole TRRS jack, will be shorting one of the signal leads to the case - which will probably damage the amplifier.
You will have to use an insulating bushing, through the metal case, to keep from shorting out the signal.
You can tell this, because there are only three solder lugs - the fourth signal comes from the outer case of the jack.
For a TRS jack, the GND can be connected to the case - but with a TRRS jack, all four signals are separate from GND.

No. No need to be aware!

This is first solid output socket I googled, obviously for TRRS you'd need 4 leads connected to a socket, Ground +, Ground -, Left +, Left -. EVERYBODY who designs knows this. And you know full well that socket in my post won't fit in existing X1, it is 4 times the size of what Onkyo uses now, it is completely different design, it won't fit, Onkyo DAP has a circuit board there, this socket needs room. What Onkyo uses now is a tiny piece of plastic, soldered to circuit board, there is no room to replace it with this socket, as I posted, this should be in their next player.

You know very well what I meant by quality socket, no need to count number of connecting solder joints, it's the socket design I was referring to, and you know this. This plug design was literally first I clicked on, again, look at the plug design, and when it's time to build a DAP, you order this plug with 4 leads for TRRS, and for 3.5mm SE 3 leads.

It's the construction and design of this socket that makes it super sturdy, that is why Sony Z1 and ZX series use this type of socket. My point was, use quality sockets, you just managed to say 'No! Not this socket'.

Edit: I'm looking at this plug's connectors, it has 3 cable solder points. What if Ground - uses plug body? It's clear that TRRS has 4 leads, so 3 are connected via solder joints, and Ground - connected to socket body. Of course TRRS 2.5mm headphone plug meets 4 separate connectors inside the socket. Or do you believe the shop at Aliexpress sells TRRS socket with only 3 connectors lol. Doesn't matter, its an example of the physical construction of a proper headphone Female socket.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #15,319 of 16,326
@whitemouse did you find out with modifications they were referring to? It would be nice to send it in and get the jack done and a upgraded tweak.

Hey! Romi Audio brought it up, but it didn't ask further, here is all they said:

onkyo hk modify .jpg

I didn't ask what is the safety lock", possibly EU regulations that severely limit power. Didn't ask. I don't believe in modifications, unless modifications include lower noise resistors, highest quality capacitors. But I don't believe that headphone cables have any affect on sound, basic high quality, well built copper cable with high quality plugs is all that's needed to transmit electricity, and keep noise out. I hear difference between daps, headphones, don't hear any difference with different cables. Some look beautiful though :)

Talk to them, they replied really quickly. Their email romiaudiohk@gmail dot com

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #15,320 of 16,326
Hello, Onkyo developers and execs, I found even cheap output socket for you, 5 sockets for $5.99 at Amazon. I'm sure if you order 10.000 of those, they'll give you a deal.

Onkyo 2.5mm amazon.jpg

Here:
https://www.amazon.com/5-Pack-CESS-4-Pole-Connectors-208/dp/B00ZGQYVKS

Imagine how much heartache you'd save for your customers, Onkyo! Raise the price of your next DAP to reflect the higher cost of high quality socket, it's $1 a piece. Sony Z and ZX DAPs use similar design.

sony-nw-zx300-zx-300-walkman-high-resolution-audio-dap-starspicker-1711-07-StarsPicker@8.jpg

Because Sony has been in personal audio business for some time, they know that headphone socket is the critical part of the player, so they don't cut corners. I am not Sony, yet somehow even I know how important the quality of headphone OUT socket is. How is it possible that Onkyo doesn't know? How do you design one of best DAPs ever, and then leave the crucial part of sourcing output sockets to some bookkeeper, who of course found THE cheapest sockets on the planet? Don't Onkyo various departments communicate at all with each other?

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #15,321 of 16,326
Hello, Onkyo developers and execs, I found even cheap output socket for you, 5 sockets for $5.99 at Amazon. I'm sure if you order 10.000 of those, they'll give you a deal.

Here:
https://www.amazon.com/5-Pack-CESS-4-Pole-Connectors-208/dp/B00ZGQYVKS

Imagine how much heartache you'd save for your customers, Onkyo! Raise the price of your next DAP to reflect the higher cost of high quality socket, it's $1 a piece. Sony Z and ZX DAPs use similar design.

Because Sony has been in personal audio business for some time, they know that headphone socket is the critical part of the player, so they don't cut corners. I am not Sony, yet somehow even I know how important the quality of headphone OUT socket is. How is it possible that Onkyo doesn't know? How do you design one of best DAPs ever, and then leave the crucial part of sourcing output sockets to some bookkeeper, who of course found THE cheapest sockets on the planet? Don't Onkyo various departments communicate at all with each other?

I wonder

Does it fit this unit
What piece do Romi in HK use...

Dec 28, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #15,322 of 16,326
I wonder

Does it fit this unit
What piece do Romi in HK use...

Sadly, no. Plugs that attach to player's body are about 2cm long, and overall larger than plastic sockets Onkyo attaches to circuit board by soldering.
Dap has to be designed with larger sockets in mind.

Here's the inside of Onkyo X1, there is no room, circuit board is right there, almost touching the metal body.

Onkyo_DP_X1_headphone_socket_fail_piece_of_shit_fix_repair.png

But there is plenty of room for normal quality socket, it's piece of plastic, all smart phones use those, but they have higher quality internal springs, 4 for Balanced socket, 3 for 3.5mm SE sockets that make contact with headphone plug. Onkyo sockets fail, because one, or all of the spring inside the socket fail to touch headphone plug.

Romi Audio in HK replaces Onkyo's sockets for better quality sockets, but they are also small plastic sockets, but those work. I don't know what socket Romi Audio use, I didn't ask, but as long as it's as good as standard output socket that every smart phone uses, it won't fail unless abused.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #15,323 of 16,326
No, I used the directions and file downloads, posted here in this thread sometime last year.

If you do a search, within this thread, for "fastboot", you'll find posts with links to the TWRP and SuperSU downloads, as well as the steps for how to unlock the Bootloader if it's locked (mine wasn't), and how to install the TWRP and SuperSU.

In order for the Viper4Android processing to work, the DP-X1 needs to be rooted, and SELinux switched to Permissive.
I also use several Xposed Framework Modules, to change the way that some of the Android system works on my DP-X1 - and it has to be rooted to install the Xposed Framework.

Ah okay, thanx. Not going to risk it then. I know what SuperSU is but things like TWRP or SELinux I know nothing about, never heard of them.

Dec 28, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #15,325 of 16,326
Hi Guy's
Just wanted to pick some of your more technical brains.
I have a Yamaha wxc-50, and would like to connect my Dp-x1, to get the most out of it.
Is my only option line out into RCA? And Bluetooth.
Not sure if can Usb it, into the unit?
Regards Steve

The DP-X1 is capable of outputting audio via the USB port, but you'd just have to try connecting it to your WXC-50, to see whether it's detected as an external USB DAC. If it isn't, you might have to use an app like UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) on the DP-X1, which tends to work better than the stock Android subsystem.

In order to keep the DP-X1 charged, while streaming music, you may be able to connect a powered hub, like the Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Charging Hub with 60W Power Adapter with BC 1.2 Charging [ https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM5OF70/ ] between the DAP and the WXC-50.

If the USB streaming doesn't work, the next best method would be using Line Out to the RCA inputs - since the WXC-50 Specs page don't appear to show Bluetooth aptX compatibility (only SBC / AAC).

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #15,326 of 16,326
The DP-X1 is capable of outputting audio via the USB port, but you'd just have to try connecting it to your WXC-50, to see whether it's detected as an external USB DAC. If it isn't, you might have to use an app like UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) on the DP-X1, which tends to work better than the stock Android subsystem.

In order to keep the DP-X1 charged, while streaming music, you may be able to connect a powered hub, like the Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Charging Hub with 60W Power Adapter with BC 1.2 Charging [ https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM5OF70/ ] between the DAP and the WXC-50.

If the USB streaming doesn't work, the next best method would be using Line Out to the RCA inputs - since the WXC-50 Specs page don't appear to show Bluetooth aptX compatibility (only SBC / AAC).

Hi Dbaldock.
Thanks for your reply, yes I tried it today all it did was charged it. Might have to give the app a try.
I knew someone out there would know
Regards Steve

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #15,327 of 16,326
Be aware that the pictured 2.5mm 4-Pole TRRS jack, will be shorting one of the signal leads to the case - which will probably damage the amplifier.
You will have to use an insulating bushing, through the metal case, to keep from shorting out the signal.
You can tell this, because there are only three solder lugs - the fourth signal comes from the outer case of the jack.
For a TRS jack, the GND can be connected to the case - but with a TRRS jack, all four signals are separate from GND.

Thanks for the response and your advice, so I should go for the TRS jack just to be safe. I'll go on youtube and see how I can shield the amplifier.
I'm still wondering if I need to open it up via the screen like an iphone

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #15,328 of 16,326
Hi Dbaldock.
Thanks for your reply, yes I tried it today all it did was charged it. Might have to give the app a try.
I knew someone out there would know
Regards Steve

I didn't try downloading and reading the manual for the WXC-50 - but it's possible that the USB port is only there to allow it to read/play music files from a Memory Stick or external Hard Drive. In that case, it probably won't be able to see the music on the microSD cards in the DP-X1. You'd have to remove, and put them in a USB adapter, before the WXC-50 could play the tracks.

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #15,329 of 16,326
Dear friends, I have a dpx1 and a dpx1a. Both jacks from both daps are partially not working or not working.

I have given the dpx1 for local repair but technician is not able to find the original or any other matching jacks.

I would like to ask if anyone was able to find the original jacks or any matching alternative jacks.

Thank you,

George
How much is your legal dealer is charging you for the replacement

Dec 28, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #15,330 of 16,326
I didn't try downloading and reading the manual for the WXC-50 - but it's possible that the USB port is only there to allow it to read/play music files from a Memory Stick or external Hard Drive. In that case, it probably won't be able to see the music on the microSD cards in the DP-X1. You'd have to remove, and put them in a USB adapter, before the WXC-50 could play the tracks.
Hi again.
Yes your right I'm afraid, will only read music off a usb stick
I'm trying to find ways to use my Dp-x1 more, just thought it could serve two purposes really.
I use it with the Lz - A4 but they get uncomfortable very quick.
So many headphones to choose from, I would like a set of over ears would be more comfortable, but can't decide on a pair. With a 400 dollar Aussie budget mind you.
Anyway thanks for your time dbaldock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back