Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato / Pioneer XDP-30R Private
Oct 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #631 of 1,608
Hey all long time follower but thought I would post some of what I learned from Cam Jam here in Denver.

I had the chance to talk with the guys at the Onkyo booth regarding the DP-S1. It seems there will be a new version coming out very soon that will address a few things. The first in the leather on the back being replaced with another material. Apparently there have been complaints about it. The second thing is the make the volume dial stiffer. Many have complained about it being to easy to move so Onkyo plans to address this. Finally they will add back the USB out functionality back to this new version.

I asked if the USB out would be activitated on current models and they believe it will be by year end. The price drop is to clear out the current models to make room for the updated version.

Will be interesting to see if this actually happens. Anyway thought you all might enjoy the latest info. I would love to hear if anyone else has heard these things as well.

That is the update they gave me when I visited them on their stand a few weeks ago here in London as my Dad was P***** off to say the least when they took away the USB line out mode after only just implementing it but the Onkyo/ Pioneer guys told me it was not a fully proper USB line out performance wise with the first update anyway which makes me wonder why they bothered if they must of know they would be doing what they have now done.

Glad I held on then if they are going to be bringing out a revised edition of the DP-S1 as I found the volume wheel on both Pioneer & Onkyo a bit loose and maybe more plasticky on the Pioneer also.
Wonder what the complaints where on the back leather effect was then?

My dad is personally requesting they do a fold over book style leather case like the Pionner model has as I do beleive the Onkyo is just a slip leather case which shows the screen dispaly all the time, if your watching Onkyo that is...

Only gripe I found over here with my Dads Onkyo been a EU model is the volume cap is restricting a bit so if anyone knows the engineers menu with a disingage feature like Sony Walkmans do then I'm all ears as when I finally get around to getting one of these I may have to look at a non EU version as at the pre-release of this I heard at a show I meet the actual Japanese design team of this player and the Japanese models they brought with them seemed to have more output for sure.

Good news they do seem to be listening then if they are going to make some changes to gripes/ feedback of people who own them, I just wonder do those current owners who have pointed these things out to them get a discount on a new version I wonder! :relaxed:

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #632 of 1,608
The infuriating part for me is that my JP version cannot run the same firmware and apps as the NA version. If I had been cognizant of this in a more transparent way from the get-go, I would have gone another direction in my purchase. I hold out some hope that this is not set in stone permanently, but "those with low expectations are seldom disappointed"

Oct 17, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #633 of 1,608
The infuriating part for me is that my JP version cannot run the same firmware and apps as the NA version. If I had been cognizant of this in a more transparent way from the get-go, I would have gone another direction in my purchase. I hold out some hope that this is not set in stone permanently, but "those with low expectations are seldom disappointed"

Yes the Tidal app is a frustrating one on the Japanese version which is why I would prefer just a volume hack into engineers menu like Sony used to do/ still do.

Again maybe you would like to think they may of been listening about the apps side on JP version been updated as a few have mentioned this already on here.
I like to think they do watch these threads as the Japanese guys now do at Sony on their own threads for their players.

I'm always disappointed!

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #634 of 1,608
As far as I can tell, Onkyo's model and values places low emphasis on the types of behaviors you mention. As we would say in colloquial language, "they gave precisely zero f*cks about my predicament."

This is a strong factor behind future purchases and recommendations for me.

Oct 17, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #635 of 1,608
yes, it plays MQA now

How does one know if the MQA circuit is engaged. I downloaded a sample file from David Elias that was mastered as a 24/384 MQA file. When played back, it shows 24/44.1 FLAC. I suppose it’s been unfolded by the DP-S1, but there’s nowhere that indicates this, and I would expect 24/384 to be displayed.

Any input on this would be helpful.

Oct 17, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #636 of 1,608
So there is no usb line out mode for the japan version?

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #637 of 1,608
Hey all long time follower but thought I would post some of what I learned from Cam Jam here in Denver.

I had the chance to talk with the guys at the Onkyo booth regarding the DP-S1. It seems there will be a new version coming out very soon that will address a few things. The first in the leather on the back being replaced with another material. Apparently there have been complaints about it. The second thing is the make the volume dial stiffer. Many have complained about it being to easy to move so Onkyo plans to address this. Finally they will add back the USB out functionality back to this new version.

I asked if the USB out would be activitated on current models and they believe it will be by year end. The price drop is to clear out the current models to make room for the updated version.

Will be interesting to see if this actually happens. Anyway thought you all might enjoy the latest info. I would love to hear if anyone else has heard these things as well.
I'll be curious whether they will end up throwing the baby out with the bath water... That new version likely will be a lot more expen$ive, the price point was the most attractive selling point of this unit to begin with. I fought many attempts in the past to pull the trigger on the DP-X1, but I couldn't justify the expenses, since I have three other DAPs laying around, a fairly recently rockboxed iBasso DX90 among them. When I came across the Rubato, read its description along with a review I was able to find, curiosity got the better of me for the price. IMO it would serve them better to fix the issues of the current model, instead of taking half measures. For instance, it now resumes playback after restarting, but it won't continue to play, I'm forced to dig it out to fast forward it with the physical button, the controls on the phone via bluetooth are grayed out, minus the volume control. Speaking of that, it takes about two to four minutes for this thing to connect with the phone, and only the basic features are accessible, the "library" control is displayed, but inactive. I'm sure they would be able to tweak the sound a bit more, to reach at least the sq level of the DX90, while the Rubato comes close to it, the former still holds a significant lead, even compared to the DP-S1's balanced port. With all the features, bells and whistles, this player should easily defeat the A&K AK Jr to say the least, but unfortunately that's not the case, rather the other way around. Still, for the price, features, overall performance, snappy and sleek interface, I'm happy with the Rubato as is.

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #638 of 1,608
QUOTE="jwbrent, post: 13790512, member: 97263"]How does one know if the MQA circuit is engaged. I downloaded a sample file from David Elias that was mastered as a 24/384 MQA file. When played back, it shows 24/44.1 FLAC. I suppose it’s been unfolded by the DP-S1, but there’s nowhere that indicates this, and I would expect 24/384 to be displayed.

Any input on this would be helpful.[/QUOTE]
I have just a sample of the MQA as well and it plays as mqa
1.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #639 of 1,608
Only gripe I found over here with my Dads Onkyo been a EU model is the volume cap is restricting a bit so if anyone knows the engineers menu with a disingage feature like Sony Walkmans do then I'm all ears as when I finally get around to getting one of these I may have to look at a non EU version as at the pre-release of this I heard at a show I meet the actual Japanese design team of this player and the Japanese models they brought with them seemed to have more output for sure.

At the moment I can compare japanese and german version (xdp30r). On the german player you can activate variable lineout (as introduced with xdp 100r). After that output power seems equal to me (I can not measure it).

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #640 of 1,608
I have a fully loaded 400GB in slot one of my XDP-30R exFAT formatted on a pc loaded with FLAC, Mp3 and DSD working perfectly 8720 tracks total. I'll see if I can get 2 to work next month if I can afford it!

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #641 of 1,608
I have a fully loaded 400GB in slot one of my XDP-30R exFAT formatted on a pc loaded with FLAC, Mp3 and DSD working perfectly 8720 tracks total. I'll see if I can get 2 to work next month if I can afford it!

Are you folks ripping CDs to FLAC or are you purchasing tunes in that format? If you are purchasing what are some good sites to buy hi-rez files?

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #642 of 1,608
Even then, as my buddy @spook76 has pointed out on another forum, by streaming, you give up control over the master. In essence, you don't know what you're streaming.

As much as I love Tidal, I've found very repeatable glitches in certain supposedly-lossless tracks - glitches that don't exist on my CD rips.

Are you folks ripping CDs to FLAC or are you purchasing tunes in that format? If you are purchasing what are some good sites to buy hi-rez files?

I rip cds to flac and dowload from hdtracks and qobuz both have us sites I think

Oct 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #643 of 1,608
In addition to the above, I use 7digital, as it has most of the artists I want. I am told that tidal lets you purchase tracks, though I often "try out" tracks on tidal before purchasing them from 7digital or hdtracks (only purchasing tracks that i find i'd like to own, others i use tidal streaming for), I'm yet to try purchasing from them.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #645 of 1,608

I like Bandcamp and Murfie. Murfie do a great job of producing error-free rips from CD. I've always been surprised at how many errors I generate ripping CDs. They're usually small, but they need CUETools to fix them. Try running some of your CD rips through CUETools and see how good they are. You might be unpleasantly surprised:
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_AccurateRip

In addition to the above, I use 7digital, as it has most of the artists I want. I am told that tidal lets you purchase tracks, though I often "try out" tracks on tidal before purchasing them from 7digital or hdtracks (only purchasing tracks that i find i'd like to own, others i use tidal streaming for), I'm yet to try purchasing from them.

Tidal is awfully expensive for purchasing lossless downloads.

P.S. So is AcousticSounds :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back