Onkyo Digital Media Transport ND-S1 alternative to Wadia 170 iTransport
Dec 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #151 of 272
is this suitable and will it be an improvement?

STONTRONICS
Order Code: PW00178
Manufacturer Part No: AD-05100R PLUG-IN PSU-REG. 5VDC/1000MA - AD-05100R - STONTRONICS RoHS Compliance : Yes

Description Fixed Voltage AC/DC Plug-In
Power Supplies - Regulated
A range of high quality AC-DC mains plug-in power supplies manufactured to BS3535/EN60742. The power supplies give fixed, regulated DC voltage outputs and are ideal for public buildings and schools where variable voltage power supplies could be tampered with, possibly resulting in damage to the equipment. Suitable for general purpose audio/video and computer equipment.
Supplied with integral 1.8m lead and a set of 6 interchangeable connectors including 4 popular dc type power plugs and 2.5mm/3.5mm jack type plugs. Polarity can be easily changed by reversing the plug connection.
Current, output:1000mA
Power rating:5W
Voltage, output:5V dc
Voltage, supply:230V ac
Length / Height, external:48mm
Width, external:61mm
Depth, external:99mm
Current rating:1000mA
Weight:480g

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #152 of 272
Just got my ND-S1 but the thing is working fine with my iphone but the remote control is not working
frown.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #153 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO not as good as the RWA unit.

Nevertheless great site for cables, etc, thanks for letting us know!

Can you link me to the RWA unit please? I am using Russ Andrews DacMagic PowerPak and its made the bass really reveal itself.

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #154 of 272
I managed to fix the remote, ND-S1 the china build QOS really dissappointed. I have to open up the whole thing to find the problem. 2 of the 3 pin for the infra receiver touch each other. After i open a gap between them. it works prefectly now.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #156 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you link me to the RWA unit please? I am using Russ Andrews DacMagic PowerPak and its made the bass really reveal itself.

Sure, it's Red Wine Audio, Vinnie R is the PIC (post #143)
Products > Black Lightning - Red Wine Audio
best contact Vinnie for any details.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #157 of 272
Quote:

Sure, it's Red Wine Audio, Vinnie R is the PIC (post #143)
Products > Black Lightning - Red Wine Audio
best contact Vinnie for any details.

Ugh that must be expensive. Thanks for the link anyway rosgr

Dec 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #158 of 272
Hi Guys,

Yes, we can make the Black Lightning Series 10 output 5Vdc for the Onkyo ND-S1 (as well as the Squeezebox 2 and Squeezebox 3, or 9Vdc output for the Squeezebox Duet, or 12Vdc output for the Wadia iTransport). We can also offer multiple output voltages (e.g. 12V and 5V) to power multiple components, such as your headphone amp and your dac, if they have a DC input jack..

Yes, the SLA battery powered Black Lightning is going to much more expensive than the Russ Andrews switch mode power supply and a lot of linear power supplies (AC to DC power adapters) - but the output of the Black Lightning it completely off-the-grid running from high-current SLA batery power, so power cords, power conditioners, the quality of your Mains AC power, etc. are not even an issue. As you can read from the Black Lightning webpage, it also has our SMART 1224 board and top quality parts and is very well-built and all hand-made here in the USA. We can provide the SLA battery charger that works anywhere in the world, and make you the custom cable to connect between the Black Lightning and whatever product you are using.

Finally - we offer a 30-day refund policy (no restocking fee), so put it up against any power supply and compare for yourself. No burn-in time needed for Black Lightning.

Quote:

s this suitable and will it be an improvement?

STONTRONICS
Order Code: PW00178
Manufacturer Part No: AD-05100R PLUG-IN PSU-REG. 5VDC/1000MA - AD-05100R - STONTRONICS RoHS Compliance : Yes

Hi Magical Mouse,

It appears to be a linear-regulated power supply, not a switch mode power supply. Just make sure they offer a 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel plug, and that you install the plug so that the center conductor is positive (+). If you mix up the polarity, you'll most likely destroy your ND-S1.

The output voltage/power specs look correct, and the 480g weight and 230V input makes me 95% sure it is a linear regulated power supply and not a switch-mode power supply. If this is the case, I'm sure it will be much cleaner than the stock SMPS that comes with the ND-S1.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Vinnie

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #160 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ztsen how long is the supplied optical cable and is it any good?

It's very basic very thin about .5m.

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #161 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there better DACs ? Of course there are, but I'd be keen to see the DACMagic paired with the Onkyo via optical if and when someone actually buys the ND-S1.

I paid for the ND-S1 a couple of hours ago..
wink.gif

I did a comparison onboard optical to DacMagic vs usb on the DacMagic and I had to bump the volume quite a lot when connected to optical to be on the same volume level as usb. I didn't notice any irregularities when connected to usb, in fact I'm staying with usb connection.

Quote:

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #162 of 272
Quote:

Oh..i dont even bother.. still inside box coz I already have. lol.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #163 of 272
Dec 26, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #164 of 272
Quote:

.Sup if you intend to use optical I would suggest a better Toslink, than the one supplied.
I use custom made ones by a Canadian maker Sys Concept Inc. Fiber Optic Products Attenuators, Patch cords, Laser Diodes, Connectors, MP3, Toslink, Hybrid Adapter and more you will get an excellent cable for a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the link but I just heard in the other thread that my DacMagic can only handle one optical input at the same time and since I already have PS3 connected to its optical input I will have to have a look at coaxial cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back