Onkyo Digital Media Transport ND-S1 alternative to Wadia 170 iTransport
Nov 17, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #121 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When fed from the SLA battery power, they both showed an equally noticeable improvement in sound (better defined bass, larger soundstage, better imaging, more extended top-end with less stridency)... what you typically hear when move up to a higher quality digital transport.

That battery adds some magic to the same 1s & 0s, huh?

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #122 of 272
Quote:

Yes, battery power is much cleaner power vs. the very cheap, stock switch-mode power supply adapters that come with these units. The stock switch-mode supplies output a lot of high frequency noise (both on the output voltage, and back into your mains AC outlet, as well as radiated noise).

Do these noises increase the jitter level (i.e. will impact the digital part of a DAC) and also affect the analog stage of a DAC?

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #123 of 272
I just recieved a Wadia transport/ PS Audio Digital Link III a couple of weeks ago. I think the combination sounds wonderfull. I find the Wadia/PS Audio sounds identical when I compare it to my Marantz SA 8260. The Wadia/PS Audio sometimes to my ear sounds a wee bit more detailed but I would have a hard time telling the differnece in a blind test if I had to determine what source was playing.
I had never been concerned with jitter because I was always under the impression that it could be a problem when using a separated cd transport/dac and not so much with a all in one cd player. I don't consider the Marantz SA 8260 a ultra high end player but if I remember correctly, it was reviewed very highly and even Stereophile had it listed as a Class A player because of its redbook play back.

I have always owned cdp's. The PS Audio is the first dac that I have owned.
I find the comparison the same, Marantz internal dac vs PS Audio dac as I did when comparing the Wadia Combo to the Marantz.
So I figure that either the Wadia/ PS Audio Digital Link III is a good combination with no or low jitter or both the Marantz and the Wadia Combo produce jitter so therefore I'm conditioned to hearing jitter and not hearing a difference.
What should I be listening for to determine if there is jitter?

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #124 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That battery adds some magic to the same 1s & 0s, huh?

Hi anetode,

Yes - those 1s and 0s are generated from chips which all benefit from a clean power supply (especially the clocks). So yes, noisy power supplies do add to jitter, and cleaner power supplies offer less jitter and cleaner sound.

Noise from cheap switch-mode power supply adapters also feeds through to your next component (dac), and feeds back onto your AC mains (where some of your other equipment may be plugged into). They also radiate EMI - put one next to an AM radio and see what you hear :)

Quote:

Do these noises increase the jitter level (i.e. will impact the digital part of a DAC) and also affect the analog stage of a DAC?

Hi DanBa,

If the DAC's analog ground is shared with the digital ground (from the coax input), yes, the noise makes its way to the analog output stage - which feed into your next stage (the preamp or amp)...

Best regards,

Vinnie

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #127 of 272
the very nice man at Peter Tyson noted my troubles in getting my order processed, so I should become a proud owner tomorrow after all.
What DC power does this puppy take? I really need to streamline my wallwarts!

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #128 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys would you think I could use one of these to feed my GS Solo???

While that might well do the trick, I have no idea of the SQ that you'll get out of it - I'm assuming it a DAC taking the digital out of the dock and then converting to analogue RCA outs.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #130 of 272
Quote:

Hi anetode,

Yes - those 1s and 0s are generated from chips which all benefit from a clean power supply (especially the clocks). So yes, noisy power supplies do add to jitter, and cleaner power supplies offer less jitter and cleaner sound.

Noise from cheap switch-mode power supply adapters also feeds through to your next component (dac), and feeds back onto your AC mains (where some of your other equipment may be plugged into). They also radiate EMI - put one next to an AM radio and see what you hear :)

Is this jitter above and beyond the level which is corrected by a high-end DAC's PLL in everyday usage?

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #131 of 272
Dammit .. can't get the coax to lock with my mini dac (it works fine with optical). The coax will lock no problem with my DAC-3SE, so it not that, the mini dac will lock with coax from my squeezebox - so its not that either ... tried a few cables ..

dammit

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #132 of 272
Hi Vinnie,

Very much appreciated!

Quote:

All,

I spent well over an hour this evening comparing the Wadia iTransport and Onkyo ND-S1's coaxial digital outputs (using the stock power supplies, as well as the SLA battery power from the Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA):

Source - iPhone using Apple Lossless files.
Amp/Dac - Isabellina HPA
Headphones - HD800s with ALO Audio cabling.

Sound

In terms of sound quality - they are really so close that I really cannot call one a winner.

When using the their stock SMPS adapters, they sound nearly identical.

When fed from the SLA battery power, they both showed an equally noticeable improvement in sound (better defined bass, larger soundstage, better imaging, more extended top-end with less stridency)... what you typically hear when move up to a higher quality digital transport.

I am guessing (just from listening) that they are using very similar circuitry inside (haven't had the time to open them both up and compare)...

Features

Wadia iTransport offers a more solid feel and nice rubber isolation feet. The Wadia also comes with different iPod dock adapters to use with various iPod models (e.g. iPhone, iPod Classic, Nano, etc.).

The Onkyo does not seem to come with different iPod dock adapters, but it has a sliding door on the top to protect the dock plug
wink.gif

The Onkyo has both coax and optical outputs (Wadia only has coax), as well as a USB input. Using the iPod/PC button, you can switch between using your iPods digital output, or feeding the Onkyo from your computer's USB port (thus making it a USB-to-SPDIF converter). The USB input is also nice so you can sync your iPod to iTunes while it is in the dock (Wadia does not have this). The Onkyo also has an On/Standby switch, while the Wadia has no power switch.

The Wadia has analog outputs (what is the point? You buy this for the digital output so you can feed your higher quality dac!) and s-video, while the Onkyo has no analog output and composite video. I really can care less about analog audio or video outputs for these units - but I thought I'd mention it.

Both units come with remotes with basic playback features - nothing special.

Build quality

The Wadia is more solid and feels twice as heavy, but it is also larger. The Onkyo is less than half the height and less deep (and approx. the same width).

Value

Have to give the win to the Onkyo - more features, less cost.

I'm not sure when the Onkyo is coming to North America, but my guess is the price will be at least $150 less than the Wadia (MSRP = $379).

I hope this has been helpful, and I look forward to reading others impressions and comparisons between these two units.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #133 of 272
Big Tony does this happen after using the ND-S1?

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #134 of 272
yes, works fine with everythng else.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #135 of 272
Initial Thoughts:

Vey nice and tidy bit of kit; small form factor, easy to setup and I can even drop my ipod in the stand without having to remove my ipod hardcase.
Apple lossless to my DAC via coax was perfect, no difference from the coax out of my squeezebox, and running it via optical out to my Mini Dac4 worked perfectly too. Going to make an ideal office rig.

Minus points? Well not for the dock itself - but the ipod does churn a tad with the lossless files - not so bad if your sitting 3 meters away, might be more of a chore if its next to me at my desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back