Onkyo Digital Media Transport ND-S1 alternative to Wadia 170 iTransport
Nov 20, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #136 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Minus points? Well not for the dock itself - but the ipod does churn a tad with the lossless files - not so bad if your sitting 3 meters away, might be more of a chore if its next to me at my desk.

Please tell me that said 'churn' isnt *audible* ? I havent had any problems with my Classic from either hp out or line-out, lossless or otherwise, although I've never used it in a dock. Please advise.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #137 of 272
I can hear the ipod hdd whir as it buffers up the next track, quite audible.

Nov 20, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #138 of 272
It's a great USB/SPDIF converter!

Nov 21, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #139 of 272
After reading all the responses and also what hifi community thread, decided that it was worth buying (i was getting impatient) and am very glad i did - black was only available at the local dealer but it suits my black ipods (160gb classic 2009 and 5.5g 80gb video).
Am very pleased, through my dac (dacmagic) and musical fidelity x-cans (v3) plus either sennheiser hd600 recabled (russ andrews kimber) or srh840 it is smooth, liquid and has all the convenience of random play - i can see why Linn are stopping making cd players.
I did a considerable amount of research before buying and my dealer who has a wadia for sale is becoming concerned about selling it as the onkyo is more functional (usb sync) and does not have the expense of an internal dac and anlogue output which is pointless.
I use the USB to digital conversion facility and this works well and i tried both digital and optical cables to the dac and personally just preferred the optical which seems marginally cleaner (this might be wishful thinking though as there should not be an audible difference)
The video ipod does not display the track playing, however if necessary the remote can be used to stop - look at the track information and then start again.

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #140 of 272
Pleased you like it magical mouse i think its agreat little thing. I use it when i cant connect my mac book . i cant really tell any difference between optical and coax. If i go mac book pro though usb to dac its a bit better a little more air and space but not a great audible difference.I pleased with it,wish it felt a bit better made but that would be asking to much.Its great for what it is!

Nov 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #141 of 272
Some DIY-Kings here to make this thing a small portable device?
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #142 of 272
My colleague just help me bought 1 from Tokyo. Now waiting for my Christmas Present to come back. lol.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #145 of 272
Vinnie R may be able to help.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #146 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by magical_mouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi i am trying to source a better psu as the one that comes with the onkyo (apparently) radiates rfi.

I am not sure exactly what i want (UK location) or where to locate it.

Any help appreciated.

Hi magical_mouse,

Look for a "linear regulated" power supply that outputs 5Vdc and at least 1 amp. Make sure it is not a switch-mode power supply (SMPS), which is what comes with the Onkyo.

A 5V linear regulated supply that outputs at least 1 Amp is going to be much heavier than a SMPS, and in general, they don't accept universal input voltage (e.g. 100 - 240Vac) like a SMPS does.

You also want the output plug of the power supply to be a 5.5mm/2.1mm dc barrel plug with the center conductor (the 2.1mm) as the POSITIVE (+) output.

If you do a search on the UK forums for something like "upgraded power supplies for the Sqeezebox 2 or Squeezebox 3", you should find links to power supplies that will do the trick for the Onkyo ND-S1. The SB2/SB3 also takes a 5Vdc input, with a 5.5mm/2.1mm plug (center pin +) and requires at least 1 amp.

If the power supply says 5Vdc output and power output of 5watts (5W), then this means it outputs up to 1 Amp. Power = Voltage x Current (5 Watts = 5Vdc x 1 Amp).

I hope this helps, and good luck with the hunt!

Vinnie

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #147 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by magical_mouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After reading all the responses and also what hifi community thread, decided that it was worth buying (i was getting impatient) and am very glad i did - black was only available at the local dealer but it suits my black ipods (160gb classic 2009 and 5.5g 80gb video).
Am very pleased, through my dac (dacmagic) and musical fidelity x-cans (v3) plus either sennheiser hd600 recabled (russ andrews kimber) or srh840 it is smooth, liquid and has all the convenience of random play - i can see why Linn are stopping making cd players.
I did a considerable amount of research before buying and my dealer who has a wadia for sale is becoming concerned about selling it as the onkyo is more functional (usb sync) and does not have the expense of an internal dac and anlogue output which is pointless.
I use the USB to digital conversion facility and this works well and i tried both digital and optical cables to the dac and personally just preferred the optical which seems marginally cleaner (this might be wishful thinking though as there should not be an audible difference)
The video ipod does not display the track playing, however if necessary the remote can be used to stop - look at the track information and then start again.

Does it have a better USB input than DAC magic?

Dec 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #148 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for a "linear regulated" power supply that outputs 5Vdc and at least 1 amp.

It could be a 5V-customized Black Lightning Series 10.

Do you have a French distributor?

Thanks.

Dec 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #150 of 272

Users who are viewing this thread

Back