Onkyo Digital Media Transport ND-S1 alternative to Wadia 170 iTransport
Jan 1, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #166 of 272
wah.. no problem you also open up?~

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #167 of 272
@ztsen

I am also from Singapore, where did you get your unit, ordered online ?
In your previous post, you said it was coming in in feb 2010, know which shop will carry them ? feb 2010 coming soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #168 of 272
you may want to call Onkyo Singapore to find out latest update. I get my colleague bought back from Tokyo.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #170 of 272
Why not?

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #171 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ruknd, neither the Wadia nor the Onkyo have a DAC. That is why they are termed 'transports'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magical_mouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a considerable amount of research before buying and my dealer who has a wadia for sale is becoming concerned about selling it as the onkyo is more functional (usb sync) and does not have the expense of an internal dac and anlogue output which is pointless.

Getting mixed signals here; does the Wadia have a iPod line-out analog pass-through or it's own DAC feeding the analog outs?

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #172 of 272
The post by estreeter is correct. Neither have a built in DAC. The Wadia has analog outputs but as mentioned before, the main purpose of these units is to extract the digital signal to an external DAC for improved sound.

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #173 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe6Pack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The post by estreeter is correct. Neither have a built in DAC. The Wadia has analog outputs but as mentioned before, the main purpose of these units is to extract the digital signal to an external DAC for improved sound.

Thanks, but that doesn't exactly answer my question; I just want to confirm that if there is no DAC, then the analog L/R outs are to simply pass the analog line out from the dock connection of the iPod out through the back of the unit, letting it perform "traditional" dock functions in addition to the digital out?

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #174 of 272
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, but that doesn't exactly answer my question; I just want to confirm that if there is no DAC, then the analog L/R outs are to simply pass the analog line out from the dock connection of the iPod out through the back of the unit, letting it perform "traditional" dock functions in addition to the digital out?

correct

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #175 of 272
Effectively using the iPod's DAC, which is what we are trying to bypass in the first place.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #176 of 272
I just ordered my Onkyo ND-S1. I'm in the US, but found very reliable ebayers from Japan (99%+ positive feedback) selling it for under $200 including expedited shipping. I'll be using it with my Ibasso D10 and Sennheiser IE8s. I can't wait to finally be able to conveniently use the DAC section of my D10 at home now without being at my PC. I've usually been using the amp section only via my Ipod Classic 7G LOD.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #177 of 272
Congrat for the new purchase!  Hope you like it.
wink_face.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #180 of 272

Quote:
The complexity of the circuit board to get the digital signal off the iPod is surprising.

No, they just soldered some extra components on the unit so its worth its price tag 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back