OnePlus Icons - Revews, Pics and Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #46 of 125
The disparity of opinions for the Icons leave me completely confuzzled and on the fence. 

Every consumer tech site has a bone to pick with the Icons, saying they are harsh (PC Advisor), mediocre (Android Central) or even "over-hyped" (Engadget) earphones that won't compete with more expensive units, and are only worth buying because of pretty aesthetics and modest improvements over Apple Earpods.  

Head-fiers are already saying these are excellent bang-for-buck performers that surpass IEMS two times their price. 

I've usually seen tech sites and Head-Fi share the same appreciation for some headphones (Piston 3 is generally loved by both sides), so IDK what's going on. 
Anyways, several owners here wrote that the Icons are on-par with ~$100 IEMS. If one of them could compare these with the LZ-a2, I would appreciate it. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #47 of 125
  The disparity of opinions for the Icons leave me completely confuzzled and on the fence. 

Every consumer tech site has a bone to pick with the Icons, saying they are harsh (PC Advisor), mediocre (Android Central) or even "over-hyped" (Engadget) earphones that won't compete with more expensive units, and are only worth buying because of pretty aesthetics and modest improvements over Apple Earpods.  

Head-fiers are already saying these are excellent bang-for-buck performers that surpass IEMS two times their price. 

I've usually seen tech sites and Head-Fi share the same appreciation for some headphones (Piston 3 is generally loved by both sides), so IDK what's going on. 
Anyways, several owners here wrote that the Icons are on-par with ~$100 IEMS. If one of them could compare these with the LZ-a2, I would appreciate it. 

cool.gif
Everyone has different Tastes and hears things differently. Base Your opinions on what you actually hear. Even the Very Best 'phones are going to have people that don't like them.

A lot of these sites aren't Headphone and Earphone enthusiasts. They will put them on out of the Box and write a review on what they hear. IF that was the case I wouldn't have contributed to the Icon thread other than to say I didn't like them and why.

OUT OF THE BOX the Eartips totally suck. They make them sound shallow and Tinny. I rolled about 20 sets of tips and They sound pretty Damn good with the ED9 Red Core, Auvio Large or even the Larges from the Rock Zircon or Mulas.

Bet they didn't mention that on their reviews did they?

Head Fiers Might disagree on nuances but generally if a product sucks you will know about it in SHORT ORDER.

So far the ICONS have received no Suckage Rating.
biggrin.gif
Ergo they must be fairly decent. Are they worth >$200. That is entirely up to you to decide.

JMHO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #48 of 125

cool.gif
Everyone has different Tastes and hears things differently. Base Your opinions on what you actually hear. Even the Very Best 'phones are going to have people that don't like them.

A lot of these sites aren't Headphone and Earphone enthusiasts. They will put them on out of the Box and write a review on what they hear. IF that was the case I wouldn't have contributed to the Icon thread other than to say I didn't like them and why.

OUT OF THE BOX the Eartips totally suck. They make them sound shallow and Tinny. I rolled about 20 sets of tips and They sound pretty Damn good with the ED9 Red Core, Auvio Large or even the Larges from the Rock Zircon or Mulas.

Bet they didn't mention that on their reviews did they?

Head Fiers Might disagree on nuances but generally if a product sucks you will know about it in SHORT ORDER.

So far the ICONS have received no Suckage Rating.
biggrin.gif
Ergo they must be fairly decent. Are they worth >$200. That is entirely up to you to decide.

JMHO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Amen to that! Every person has different tastes, and every headphone does have its critics. 
The Icons are definitely on my shortlist for a pair of quality IEMS with a mic and remote, but I'll refrain from purchasing until some reviews are up. 
BTW, how do KZ whirlwind tips sound on them?

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #49 of 125
  Amen to that! Every person has different tastes, and every headphone does have its critics. 
The Icons are definitely on my shortlist for a pair of quality IEMS with a mic and remote, but I'll refrain from purchasing until some reviews are up. 

I Hope you don't mean the Blue Core Wide Bores. I personally think they're horrible, although some like them. In my ears they do exactly what the stock Icon tips do, make everything shallow and Tinny. IF You can get a hold of AUVIOS I swear they are the best universal tip going, Sony Hybrids are a close second though. They won't work on everything but they are pretty good on most. BTW You need an earphone with a wider Nozzle for them.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #50 of 125
Okay, got it. I have the ED9, so I'll put those tips on if I do decide to pick these Icons up. 
Which tips would you say provide the best (Rock Zircon level) bass?

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #51 of 125

IF You can get a hold of AUVIOS I swear they are the best universal tip going, Sony Hybrids are a close second though.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

You've made me a convert!    Now have medium Auvios on my Trinity Techne, Puro IE500, and Vsonic VSD3s IEMs :)

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #53 of 125
Dunu Titan 1 is rated as #2 here. how would you compare icons to titan 1. in my country fiio ex1 costs $75, icons $45. thanks.

:grinning: I had to give my titans to my oldest daughter I could no longer wear them. They were just too treble heavy and caused me discomfort within 30 minutes or so. For me it's Icons by a mile. Others may have different opinions.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Feb 2, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #54 of 125

Great review. Planning to buy these now. Just a quick question - Havi B3 is dual driver and Icons are not.. does that mean number of drivers does not mean better sound. I have very limited knowledge about drivers though... 
confused.gif

Definitely not, there are plenty of dual driver IEMs out there that sound horrible imo

Some reviews are up, just read this thread.

I will update my review on them soon as well, find it in my signature.

Btw, I totally recommend the SpinFit Large bore medium tips to use with the Icons.

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #55 of 125

I Hope you don't mean the Blue Core Wide Bores. I personally think they're horrible, although some like them. In my ears they do exactly what the stock Icon tips do, make everything shallow and Tinny. IF You can get a hold of AUVIOS I swear they are the best universal tip going, Sony Hybrids are a close second though. They won't work on everything but they are pretty good on most. BTW You need an earphone with a wider Nozzle for them.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

I really need to buy those Auvios you keep mentioning around head-fi... 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I'm just here to chime in to tell I found Sony Hybrids are designed to work on a smaller nozzle iems, anything 3+mm wide does not work with them. At least not with me.
I hate them on my ultra-wide LZ A2 because they are narrow inside they limit the already imited A2's highs to basically zero and would keep ramping up bass levels if I could find a proper seal (which I can't - and this makes Sony's sound hollow/empty on my LZ A2)
I'm really as dissatisfied with them as with my KZ widebores (the blue "whirlwind" ones) which are the most uncomfortable tips I've ever came across

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #56 of 125

@bhazard I think bhazard is the only one who has both so we'll have to wait for his compare.

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #57 of 125
Feb 2, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #58 of 125

Some reviews are up, just read this thread.

I will update my review on them soon as well, find it in my signature.

Btw, I totally recommend the SpinFit Large bore medium tips to use with the Icons.

Oh, I've read the reviews on this thread. While they do help, most seem to be first impressions. I look forward to more in-depth reviews, including yours, of the Icons after some extensive time spent with them.
Since you've owned them for some time, how are the microphonics? I can't use my Pistons as a travel earphone as much as I'd like due to the ridiculous amount of noise the cable makes against my shirt.     

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #59 of 125
Oh, I've read the reviews on this thread. While they do help, most seem to be first impressions. I look forward to more in-depth reviews, including yours, of the Icons after some extensive time spent with them.
Since you've owned them for some time, how are the microphonics? I can't use my Pistons as a travel earphone as much as I'd like due to the ridiculous amount of noise the cable makes against my shirt.     

Well I use a shirt clip and microphonics are almost non existent for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back