OnePlus Icons - Revews, Pics and Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #16 of 125
Just saw this not so flattering review from someone who "acts" like they know what they are talking about. Have any of you seen it?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/oneplus-icons-review

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #17 of 125
cool.gif
Another TRUSTED REVIEW that doesn't even mention the LOUSY stock Eartips or changing them out to anything else!!!  Just Slap them on your head without any break in and GO AT IT. (jackass)  If I seriously went by reviews I wouldn't have discovered 1/2 of the Great earphones that I have, nor would others on this forum be bringing new "Finds" to other's attention. Everyones taste is different, but I can assure you I find NOTHING unnatural about the mids. One of the first things I ran through them was "Sultans of Swing" which Has BOTH male vocals AND Guitar in it And they just sound GOOD. Next up was Soak's "Immigrant Song". If the vocals and Bass don't push your earphones into sibilance and clipping, your good to go.

Are they the BEST earphone out there? Probably not. But they Rank Very highly with my tastes and are up there with my Personal Favorites. JMHO

Once again I feel my disdain for reviewers who are self-professed "Audiophiles".

I'm NOT. But I know what I like. Sometimes my hunches pay off Sometimes they don't....

The ICON is a very enjoyable listen.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jan 22, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #18 of 125

cool.gif
Every time I listen to these ICONS they just get Better and Better. I've got 105.5 Hours on them including last night's extended listen. I've got to say these have the most enjoyable ROUNDED SOUND SIGNATURE I've heard yet.

A little Darker but UNUSUALLY Detailed for a Darker signature. Bass That rivals the Puro, Mids that are as perfect for vocals and guitars as you can get, and a SMOOTH Beautiful Transition into Treble.

WHENEVER I LISTEN TO THESE ICONS THEY MAKE ME SMILE.

How are you finding Yours Lifted?

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Yeah I am having pretty much same experience so far, the Icons are so fun to listen to. I find they have amazing synergy with Trance music, plus the comfort is way above anything I envisioned for this type of build as at first they look bulky.

Everytime I put them in my ears I just think that the Icons are a fantastically rounded off IEM. No treble peaks, no bass bleeds.

Dare I say... perfect?

I'll in the middle of reviewing this great new IEMs. Talk about "bang for your buck" performance!!! More to come...

Awesome! Looking forward to your review :)

I love how these fit so naturally. These are the first IEM which are actually comfortable without having to sacrifice bass in order to get a perfect seal. These just stay in there kinda loosely and still sound amazing.

Strange stuff happening: When i put them in my Office PC or my PC at home i get very audible floor noise. Also when i put them in the connector i have to pull them out a notch to have stereo. With my iPad and iPod no floor noise or stereo problems at all.

Also thinking about getting the gold one too. These sound so good i want a backup pair of them.. its insane how that you can get 2 of them for 100$.

Yeah OnePlus wasnt lying with their initial ad, the Icons definitely punch way above their weight. I was expecting them to have a flaw somewhere, either in the sound signature or maybe the fit but so far I cant spot anything wrong with them at all.

cool.gif
Try THIS on your ICONS:

Not to mention the fact that Emma has the most Sexual voice on the planet.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Nice track, Emma is one of the elite vocalists in Trance music :D

Btw if you wanna feel some sick rolling Trance bass on the Icons take a listen to this amazing uplifting track -

Alright, I hopped on the bandwagon.  About how long does it take to get the Icons after placing the order?

Yay another one!

It took for mine about 3-5 days to arrive after ordering mate.

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #19 of 125
Well, hopped onto this bandwagon. The thread on Reddit made me just bight th bullet. I'm not huge on IEMs but having good ones is always nice. I wonder how they compare to the Fidelio S2 and the Havi B3s

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #20 of 125
Well, hopped onto this bandwagon. The thread on Reddit made me just bight th bullet. I'm not huge on IEMs but having good ones is always nice. I wonder how they compare to the Fidelio S2 and the Havi B3s

Hi mate, welcome to the thread.

Care to link the reddit thread for us?

Hope you get the Icons soon mate. :)

---

I got some KZ ED9, mainly for the tips as @TwinACStacks suggested and I'm trying them on today. Pretty comfy so far, I'm a bit confused as in the ED9 box you get some grey and slightly darker grey tips both with a red core so I will need to try both to see if theres any difference. So far I've only tried the darker ones and I have to say that they arent as comfortable as the ROCK Zircon tips, but they fit and isolate better.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #21 of 125
Hi mate, welcome to the thread.

Care to link the reddit thread for us?

Hope you get the Icons soon mate. :)

---

I got some KZ ED9, mainly for the tips as @TwinACStacks
 suggested and I'm trying them on today. Pretty comfy so far, I'm a bit confused as in the ED9 box you get some grey and slightly darker grey tips both with a red core so I will need to try both to see if theres any difference. So far I've only tried the darker ones and I have to say that they arent as comfortable as the ROCK Zircon tips, but they fit and isolate better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/406u0u/my_crystal_ball_says_these_will_be_the_product_of/

Which I got the link to from this thread : https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/41v7gr/how_i_feel_as_a_reviewer_when_someone_doesnt_like/

Hope that helps. I think my Icons shipped, so I'll be trying them soon.

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #22 of 125
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/406u0u/my_crystal_ball_says_these_will_be_the_product_of/

Which I got the link to from this thread : https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/41v7gr/how_i_feel_as_a_reviewer_when_someone_doesnt_like/

Hope that helps. I think my Icons shipped, so I'll be trying them soon.

Thanks mate!

I'm just sitting in Uni atm and listening to some classic Trance through the form of In Trance We Trust Volume 4 through my Icons and OnePlus X, and I cant help but to tap my feet. Gonna start chair dancing soon.

These Icons have some amazing synergy with Trance music... oh my god! 
etysmile.gif

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #23 of 125

Thanks mate!

I'm just sitting in Uni atm and listening to some classic Trance through the form of In Trance We Trust Volume 4 through my Icons and OnePlus X, and I cant help but to tap my feet. Gonna start chair dancing soon.

These Icons have some amazing synergy with Trance music... oh my god! 
etysmile.gif

cool.gif
They TRULY are VERY GOOD. I can't understand some of the reviews I've read on them. ARE WE THE ONES WHO ARE WRONG and these are just mediocre earphones?

NAH....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #24 of 125

cool.gif
They TRULY are VERY GOOD. I can't understand some of the reviews I've read on them. ARE WE THE ONES WHO ARE WRONG and these are just mediocre earphones?

NAH....

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Yeah maybe our ears are just too ruined to hear any imperfections, and that we find everything AMAZING???

Btw I have something to ask you, you know with KZ ED9 you get 2 sets of red bore tips. One set grey and one set slightly darked (more black), both with red cores. Which ones are you using on your Icons??

Oh and I also purchased some SpinFit Red core tips to see how they work with the Icons, kinda an impulse buy really since someone in UK was selling them quite cheap.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #25 of 125

Yeah maybe our ears are just too ruined to hear any imperfections, and that we find everything AMAZING???

Btw I have something to ask you, you know with KZ ED9 you get 2 sets of red bore tips. One set grey and one set slightly darked (more black), both with red cores. Which ones are you using on your Icons??

cool.gif
Probably the Grey they look smoke colored to me. They are a Tall Bullet shape  compare their shapes, and I would guess Larges.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jan 26, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #26 of 125
:cool: Probably the Grey they look smoke colored to me. They are a Tall Bullet shape  compare their shapes, and I would guess Larges.

:cool: :cool: TWIN

Do they look like this? IE, with the red part visible from the top.

They were fitted to the ED9 when I opened them this morning.

EDIT: So when I got home and compared the Zircon and ED9 tips and the Zircon ones actually have a wider bore, maybe that's why I find the treble gets a weird peak when using the ED9 tips.

PS. I've got some spin fits coming this week so I shall try those on too.

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #27 of 125
Do they look like this? IE, with the red part visible from the top.

They were fitted to the ED9 when I opened them this morning.

EDIT: So when I got home and compared the Zircon and ED9 tips and the Zircon ones actually have a wider bore, maybe that's why I find the treble gets a weird peak when using the ED9 tips.

PS. I've got some spin fits coming this week so I shall try those on too.

That looks like them I guess now I will have to try the zircon tips...

Does it ever end? :grinning:

:smiling_imp::smiling_imp: TWIN

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #28 of 125
On the subject of smartphone brand earphones, anyone compare the new LG Quadbeat 3 to the Icons yet? I have the Quadbeat 2 and know how good the sound quality is. The only problem was midbass overshadowed subbass, which was supposedly fixed in the QB3.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #29 of 125
I just got my Icons early, wasn't expecting them till Thurs/Friday, got them today and I just sat down to try them, keeping my hype at bay, I came in expecting them to be nowhere near the hype.

Well, after playing all my test songs, I have to say.........

WOW!

These things rival $100+ in-ears if not $200 ones. THey definitely destroy my old Philips Fidelio S2s, With stock tips out of the box, and no burn in.

They handle everything superbly. So much detail and range. below are my noobish experiences with the songs I chose. These are all from Google Music, set on High Quality (320kbps) and over WiFi from an iPhone 6s+.

In Order: 

# Royals by Lorde - Chosen for female vocals and bass / modern pop music
--> The sounds was fantastic. Her vocals were clear, crisp, and clean. There was so much accuracy and cleanliness to the sound. The bass was tight and thumpy, also very crisp. Not an ounce of muddyness or bloat within 10000 miles of this sound.

# Pompeii by Bastille - Chosen for bass/subbass beat with a bit of soundstage and male vocals / modern pop music
--> The soundstaging was decent, and the background pumps were good, but not quite as good on some of my over-ear headphones, but I don't expect these to compete with Oppo PM3s or Fidelio X2s, but they sure do a bang up job trying, and it shows.

# Wandering by Yosi Horikawa - Chosen purely for sound staging and sound reproduction.
--> So definitely shows the soundstage is not very wide or deep, wasn't expecting it, but needed to test it. But it does a fantastic job still. I can still feel quite a bit of directionality and space. I would say they have a bit of width, but not much depth.

# Enter Sandman by Metallica - Chosen for Electric Guitar and Cymbals
--> Again everything sounded good. You can hear the strings and the Cymbals sound good. Not much else to say really.

# Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne - Chosen for Rock and a bit of bass
--> Fantastic work with the bass and all elements of the song. Reproduced everything accurately and I could hear some details that I have only heard on my Over-ears before. Very well done.

# Limit to Your Love by James Blake - Chosen for Bass/SubBass mixed with high baritone/tenor male vocals, tests the ability to play both at the same time.
--> Did really well. The bass/subbass vibrations were there, and handled very well. Also handled the mix of highs and lows at the same time very accurately with not much bleed.

# Winds of Change by Scorpions - Chosen because its one of my all-time favorite songs and I have listened to it on like everything.
--> Wonderful job with the song. The whistling was spot on, and I could even hear some of the old recording artifacts in certain parts. Definitely with the file for this song, because I have heard these same artifacts on my other headphones. Great work with the song.

Overall Sound: They are mostly neutral with a very very slight brightness (I listen to only Warm headphones for the most part, so I am more sensitive to treble) but its non-fatiguing even for someone that only listens to Warm sound. The bass is not emphasized but is not recessed, it has a presence and a pleasant thump, but definitely not basshead levels. Mids are present and clear, not recessed. Very nice sound signature.

Comfort: They feel fine in my ear, and are very comfortable, even in stock. They seal well in my ear with stock tips.
Controls: The start/stop and accept call/hangup work fine on iOS, haven't tried volume control yet, but I am skeptical as usually Android designed controls don't volume control iPhones and vice versa.
Microphonics: A tiny bit on the upper part of the headphone where there isn't that woven covering on the cable. I think they should have had it go all the way to each ear, but very minor microphonics, not bad.

Overall I am verrrrrry impressed, and these are now my go to IEMs. My GF who isn't as picky as me, but I have shown her the difference of good vs bad headphones, noticed a huge sound difference, and immediately wanted a pair, so I will be ordering another set shortly.

Well done OnePlus. I no longer have your phones, but fantastic job on these IEMs.

These are now retired by my OnePlus Icons:
  1. Havi B3
  2. Piston 3
  3. Fidelio S2
  4. Carbo Basso & Carbo Tenore

[Edit] Also have to add, the Faux leather pouch is a nice touch. Feels nice very high end.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #30 of 125
  I just got my Icons early, wasn't expecting them till Thurs/Friday, got them today and I just sat down to try them, keeping my hype at bay, I came in expecting them to be nowhere near the hype.

Well, after playing all my test songs, I have to say.........

WOW!

These things rival $100+ in-ears if not $200 ones. THey definitely destroy my old Philips Fidelio S2s, With stock tips out of the box, and no burn in.

They handle everything superbly. So much detail and range. below are my noobish experiences with the songs I chose. These are all from Google Music, set on High Quality (320kbps) and over WiFi from an iPhone 6s+.

In Order: 

# Royals by Lorde - Chosen for female vocals and bass / modern pop music
--> The sounds was fantastic. Her vocals were clear, crisp, and clean. There was so much accuracy and cleanliness to the sound. The bass was tight and thumpy, also very crisp. Not an ounce of muddyness or bloat within 10000 miles of this sound.

# Pompeii by Bastille - Chosen for bass/subbass beat with a bit of soundstage and male vocals / modern pop music
--> The soundstaging was decent, and the background pumps were good, but not quite as good on some of my over-ear headphones, but I don't expect these to compete with Oppo PM3s or Fidelio X2s, but they sure do a bang up job trying, and it shows.

# Wandering by Yosi Horikawa - Chosen purely for sound staging and sound reproduction.
--> So definitely shows the soundstage is not very wide or deep, wasn't expecting it, but needed to test it. But it does a fantastic job still. I can still feel quite a bit of directionality and space. I would say they have a bit of width, but not much depth.

# Enter Sandman by Metallica - Chosen for Electric Guitar and Cymbals
--> Again everything sounded good. You can hear the strings and the Cymbals sound good. Not much else to say really.

# Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne - Chosen for Rock and a bit of bass
--> Fantastic work with the bass and all elements of the song. Reproduced everything accurately and I could hear some details that I have only heard on my Over-ears before. Very well done.

# Limit to Your Love by James Blake - Chosen for Bass/SubBass mixed with high baritone/tenor male vocals, tests the ability to play both at the same time.
--> Did really well. The bass/subbass vibrations were there, and handled very well. Also handled the mix of highs and lows at the same time very accurately with not much bleed.

# Winds of Change by Scorpions - Chosen because its one of my all-time favorite songs and I have listened to it on like everything.
--> Wonderful job with the song. The whistling was spot on, and I could even hear some of the old recording artifacts in certain parts. Definitely with the file for this song, because I have heard these same artifacts on my other headphones. Great work with the song.

Overall Sound: They are mostly neutral with a very very slight brightness (I listen to only Warm headphones for the most part, so I am more sensitive to treble) but its non-fatiguing even for someone that only listens to Warm sound. The bass is not emphasized but is not recessed, it has a presence and a pleasant thump, but definitely not basshead levels. Mids are present and clear, not recessed. Very nice sound signature.

Comfort: They feel fine in my ear, and are very comfortable, even in stock. They seal well in my ear with stock tips.
Controls: The start/stop and accept call/hangup work fine on iOS, haven't tried volume control yet, but I am skeptical as usually Android designed controls don't volume control iPhones and vice versa.
Microphonics: A tiny bit on the upper part of the headphone where there isn't that woven covering on the cable. I think they should have had it go all the way to each ear, but very minor microphonics, not bad.

Overall I am verrrrrry impressed, and these are now my go to IEMs. My GF who isn't as picky as me, but I have shown her the difference of good vs bad headphones, noticed a huge sound difference, and immediately wanted a pair, so I will be ordering another set shortly.

Well done OnePlus. I no longer have your phones, but fantastic job on these IEMs.

These are now retired by my OnePlus Icons:
  1. Havi B3
  2. Piston 3
  3. Fidelio S2
  4. Carbo Basso & Carbo Tenore

[Edit] Also have to add, the Faux leather pouch is a nice touch. Feels nice very high end.

Great review.  If I read right, you are using stock tips which are supposed to be garbage.  You ought to try different tips whenever you get a chance.  I've read they sound even better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back