OnePlus Icons - Revews, Pics and Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2016 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 125

Lifted Andreas

Formerly known as geko95gek.
When these beauties were announced I was excited and felt like I wanted to get some, then I bought the OnePlus X smartphone which meant I really needed some Icons xD

So far I have to say that they havent dissapointed.

---

First impressions - 

The presentation of the packaging is pretty amazing as always with OnePlus products. They come in a red box which opens up nicely, then you have a thin black cover with a tag which you pull to reveal the Icons. Standard black mushroom-style S/M/L tips are included, they are ok for sound and fairly comfortable but dont insert very far so you might want to do some tip rolling. I am using ROCK Mula tips and they provide a nice improvement towards comfort/isolation.

Cant say too much atm but the first impressions are pretty good! The sound is really big and detailed. Vocals sound full of body and without any SSS or sibilance. Same with treble it's very nicely extended but not over the top, and with no peaks! Yay!

Bass is plenty but not too boomy, my guess is that it will settle with burn in and get even tighter. So far I'm in love, these Icons produce some amazing synergy and energy with Trance music! 
biggrin.gif

After a week...

---

Upcoming comparisons:

OnePlus Icons vs Yamaha EPH100 / Zero Audio Carbo Tenore / ROCK Zircons

---
Thread WIP!

EDIT: My updated review is now up!!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/oneplus-icons-earphones-graphite-in-ear-headphone-stereo-clear-bass-earphone-with-microphone-low-cost-with-better-quality/reviews/14962

---

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 125
Thanks for starting this thread. Have been considering these but really thinking about using the funds towards DQSMs.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 125
Thanks for starting this thread. Have been considering these but really thinking about using the funds towards DQSMs.

No worries mate, these Icons have impressed me so much that I just had to start a dedicated thread.

Ah np, you could always sell them on if you're not impressed. :wink:

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 125
cool.gif
My first OOTB impression was "What"? They sounded tinny and shallow with the installed tips. Then I quickly realized the tips were the problem. They need FULL SEAL and insertion to sound their best. These are almost a 1/2 in ear design much like The Titans and 1MORE HYBRIDS. Thank goodness they have a nice long nozzle. So I rolled tips, Make a long story short: I settled for now on the Red Core Hybrids that come with the KZ ED9. Second to that are the Large Auvios.

With proper FIT they are a VERY good earphone.  They are currently on the Burner so in about 39 hours I can give you a more detailed first impression.

Suffice to say they are VERY good.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 125
cool.gif
50 Hours on them, I'm taking them for an extended listen tonight along with the DQSM.

Had a Quickie. WOW are these Icons REALLY Good. They can Hang with the DQSM

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 125

cool.gif
My first OOTB impression was "What"? They sounded tinny and shallow with the installed tips. Then I quickly realized the tips were the problem. They need FULL SEAL and insertion to sound their best. These are almost a 1/2 in ear design much like The Titans and 1MORE HYBRIDS. Thank goodness they have a nice long nozzle. So I rolled tips, Make a long story short: I settled for now on the Red Core Hybrids that come with the KZ ED9. Second to that are the Large Auvios.

With proper FIT they are a VERY good earphone.  They are currently on the Burner so in about 39 hours I can give you a more detailed first impression.

Suffice to say they are VERY good.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Hmm I guess everyone's ears are different, they sounded okay for me out of the box with stock tips but nothing special. Putting the ROCK Zircon medium tips on them have improved the comfort and seal somewhat. Really comfy now!

I've ordered some ED9 as well, mainly for the tips but I've read they are pretty nice budget IEMs as well by KZ.

cool.gif
50 Hours on them, I'm taking them for an extended listen tonight along with the DQSM.

Had a Quickie. WOW are these Icons REALLY Good. They can Hang with the DQSM

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Awesome!

More info on the DQSM pls :p

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 125

Hmm I guess everyone's ears are different, they sounded okay for me out of the box with stock tips but nothing special. Putting the ROCK Zircon medium tips on them have improved the comfort and seal somewhat. Really comfy now!

I've ordered some ED9 as well, mainly for the tips but I've read they are pretty nice budget IEMs as well by KZ.

Awesome!

More info on the DQSM pls :p

There's a whole thread on the DQSM which includes Twin's comments:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/792295/dqsm-iem-a-competitor-of-lz-a2

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 125
cool.gif
Every time I listen to these ICONS they just get Better and Better. I've got 105.5 Hours on them including last night's extended listen. I've got to say these have the most enjoyable ROUNDED SOUND SIGNATURE I've heard yet.

A little Darker but UNUSUALLY Detailed for a Darker signature. Bass That rivals the Puro, Mids that are as perfect for vocals and guitars as you can get, and a SMOOTH Beautiful Transition into Treble.

WHENEVER I LISTEN TO THESE ICONS THEY MAKE ME SMILE.

How are you finding Yours Lifted?

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 125
These were an impulse buy for me and normally i dont do that with headphones but i watched their blind test video and i have to admit i was sold. :p

After i ordered them i even wanted to cancel them because i thought about it and thought the reaction video was fake.

I am so glad that i didn't. These sound a-m-a-z-i-n-g and look / feel amazing too. Price tag aside these sound better than my RHA T20 or RHA MA750. (Imo ofc)

The bass takes the spot in beeing detailed, fast and extendet. It can sound boosted but only in tracks with alot of bass which i acctually a good thing. In bass tracks with normal bass these sound very very neutral. The midrange is very good too as well as the treble. The midrange works perfectly with vocals giving them a warm but not overly warm touch which works especially good with male vocals. Female vocals sound awesome too! The treble is what i would call very smooth. It is not thin sounding but it is rather like the Icons are made for countless fatique free listening hours.

Overall i am very satisfied. I find myself using them more than some of my full sized headphones. (Yamaha MT220, HD700, HE400s)

I really hope these get some reviews soon. And i really really hope that they will last me long time because you never know with thin IEM cables, but given their build quality i think this will not be the case. :)

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 125
These were an impulse buy for me and normally i dont do that with headphones but i watched their blind test video and i have to admit i was sold. :p

After i ordered them i even wanted to cancel them because i thought about it and thought the reaction video was fake.

I am so glad that i didn't. These sound a-m-a-z-i-n-g and look / feel amazing too. Price tag aside these sound better than my RHA T20 or RHA MA750. (Imo ofc)

The bass takes the spot in beeing detailed, fast and extendet. It can sound boosted but only in tracks with alot of bass which i acctually a good thing. In bass tracks with normal bass these sound very very neutral. The midrange is very good too as well as the treble. The midrange works perfectly with vocals giving them a warm but not overly warm touch which works especially good with male vocals. Female vocals sound awesome too! The treble is what i would call very smooth. It is not thin sounding but it is rather like the Icons are made for countless fatique free listening hours.

Overall i am very satisfied. I find myself using them more than some of my full sized headphones. (Yamaha MT220, HD700, HE400s)

I really hope these get some reviews soon. And i really really hope that they will last me long time because you never know with thin IEM cables, but given their build quality i think this will not be the case. :)

:innocent: I don't think you have a lot to worry about. The cables themselves are Teflon sheathed, very tough stuff, and the bottom half appears to be kevlar fabric wrapped..

Fire a bullet at the cable and see if it bounces off:smiling_imp:

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 125
Yes It's very good.

:alien::alien: TWIN

Jan 20, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 125
I love how these fit so naturally. These are the first IEM which are actually comfortable without having to sacrifice bass in order to get a perfect seal. These just stay in there kinda loosely and still sound amazing.

Strange stuff happening: When i put them in my Office PC or my PC at home i get very audible floor noise. Also when i put them in the connector i have to pull them out a notch to have stereo. With my iPad and iPod no floor noise or stereo problems at all.

Also thinking about getting the gold one too. These sound so good i want a backup pair of them.. its insane how that you can get 2 of them for 100$.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #14 of 125
cool.gif
Try THIS on your ICONS:

Not to mention the fact that Emma has the most Sexual voice on the planet.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Jan 21, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 125
Alright, I hopped on the bandwagon.  About how long does it take to get the Icons after placing the order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back