On-the-go headphones for classical lover?
Sep 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Scot1970

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

My Shure SE530s are no more and so I'm thinking of a change of direction. I'm considering over the ear headphones for my next pair of travel out-and-about cans. I listen to a lot of symphonies so I prefer a neutral and organic, tending to warm, signature that has a wide and open soundstage, has great detail and natural unforced bass that extends way down.

Can you please recommend a pair that would match this criteria? I was thinking perhaps of the Sennheiser Momentums. My source is a Cowon X9 (soon to be iBasso DX90 or Fiio X5) with FLAC files ripped from CD via Exact Audio Copy or high-res downloads.

Thank you. Scot :)

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 8
You should definitely try the Beyerdynamic DT250 (250 ohm version).

They need quite a bit of power, but both the DX90 and the X5 will have no trouble at all.

This is about as close as you will get to a closed HD600 at a reasonable price (and they are lightweight and robust). Like the Momentums, they are circumaural but very compact (the MLs are supra aural, and the D2000 are quite bulky).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598201/the-beyerdynamic-dt250-appreciation-thread

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, folks. The DT250s and the DT880s have a huge impedence and seem to be more suitable for home listening. I already have a pair of Grado SR80is for home. The P7s look good and get a great write-up from What HiFi, but again they are recommended as a home use headphone. This is why I was looking favourably towards the Momentum over-ears: they seem to have a decently wide soundstage for closed cans, they're closed so good for travel, they have low impedence (18ohms) and they have a balanced and natural output. The only thing I still don't know is how suited they are to classical music (symphonies, mainly). In my ideal world, I would have a set of cans that have the wide soundstage of an open-backed set but were actually closed-back for on-the-go. Elementary physics probably says no.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Neither of your preferred DAPs will have any trouble driving the DT250s. Even the DX50 will manage. An iPod will not, however...

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Beyerdynamic custom one pro is a great compromise. With velour pads for classic. Momentum is a good choice though.

Ps : i listening a lot of classical and baroque music.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 8
XPT100 or another CD990 clone (such as the original FA003--not the Ti revision--and HM5). Honestly though, I don't recommend full size for portable use and use in ears myself. Best luck!

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Mikros 90 gets my vote for the criteria you list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back