Olympic Games 2008 thread - Sports only!
Aug 9, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #46 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm watching the opening ceremonies on NBC right now, and it's amazing, breathtaking, and so freaking bombastic!
Unfortunately, the commentators bring it down with inane and incredibly superficial analysis of sociopolitical symbolism that I'm pretty sure they're inventing.

There was no politics from the TVNZ Commentators but they still annoyed me... They kept stating the obvious and, IMO, ruining the moment.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #47 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
INCREDIBLE ceremony. AMAZING! So much coordination and so many people!

Stopped watching at 2:30 in the morning though so I missed New Zealand's team coming on
frown.gif

Can't wait for the diving to come! Tis good fun to pause the TV when its showing someones face as they jump....
wink.gif

Unfortunately they only showed a quick clip of the Flag Bearer before cutting to a commercial in the States. Disappointing, though I don't think the kiwis I knew were in there, as they're all swimmers and many swimmer weren't at the opening ceremony.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #50 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music was very disappointing; and they said 17 composers were involved. And I must have heard Scotland the Brave more than 20 times during atheletes' entry.

Completely agree. The bagpipe travesty was annoying and completely out of place. The main song was also quite anti-climatic: too slow, not very catchy and the pitch was too high. But probably still better than picking Bjork as the main singer for an Olympic opening ceremony...

Everything else was greatness. Normally I'm not big on national feelings, but I was quite moved by the Chinese flag rising combined with the little girl singing. Brilliant cinematography.

My biggest gripe is that I could have punched the Chinese commentators and CCTV cameramen: way too much talking and I don't know how often and long they showed me the faces of some party officials for which I don't give a damn.

China already has one gold, here's hoping for more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #51 of 160
If you watch NBC version, you will still have the same feeling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My biggest gripe is that I could have punched the Chinese commentators and CCTV cameramen: way too much talking and I don't know how often and long they showed me the faces of some party officials for which I don't give a damn.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 9, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #53 of 160
REMINDER: NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION.

I realize that the media has focussed on politics throughout the build-up to the Olympics, as it does with nearly every Olympics.

However, the Olympics is about sports, athletes, competition, and people striving to be their best. Please keep the discussion firmly in this topic range.

We have a "No Political Discussion" rule here. Please adhere to it.

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #54 of 160
I think NBC's Matt Lower and the other NBC China correspondent did a fine job.

Not too much talking. Not too much silence. Although it was funny to see NBC's camera work: When Iraq marched out during the parade, the camera immediately went to Bush. lol

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #56 of 160
By the way, google has a nifty features where you can enter e.g. "olympics medals" and it will you give you the medal count, or "olympics basketball schedule" and you'll get the basketball schedules.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #57 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think NBC's Matt Lower and the other NBC China correspondent did a fine job.

I as well and enjoyed every minute of it. As for ceremony itself, I would be very proud to be Chinese after.

--

Well, it's time to catch up with the different sports. Now, it's indoor volleyball. I watched handball earlier. How great is that sport? Never really got into the equestrian. Always look forward to water polo and badminton. It doesn't get much better for sports fans. Because of the time difference, one can catch a meaningful athletic contest night or day, live or taped here.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #59 of 160
Anxiously awaiting the rings, pummel horse, and floor....

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #60 of 160
Watched wrestling live today. I didn't even know the rules before but it was a great experience.

2757359858_0036b21033.jpg

There's just something special about the Olympics. When you see those athletes standing on the podium with their eyes fixated on their countries' flags, you imagine the countless years of hardship and failures, but also aspiration, belief in themselves and sheer limitless endeavour. After winning a bronze medal, one Korean contender - a fearsome wrestler it should be noted - covered his face in a towel, bowed in front of the Korean fan curve and just cried his heart out like a baby. A beautiful scene.

2757359874_d7bf35ac55.jpg

When just moments ago these men were fighting with their all for their country against another country, they now stood side by side as fellow sportsmen united under the Olympic flag. Add tuneful symphonic music on top, some flag raising and it all becomes quite cliche. But it's was also very beautiful and uplifting. Human dignity at its best.

2757359886_cc8ef25972.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back