Olympic Games 2008 thread - Sports only!
Aug 9, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #31 of 160
^^^ I think that is why I am crying. Because we can offer so much and we can be so good to one another. These ceremonies represent the best of us but when we wake up in the morning, we will wake up to greed, to deceit, to murder, to business as usual.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #32 of 160
beerchug.gif

To China. You make us all proud.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #34 of 160
Anyone else SUPER excited for olympic table tennis? And the U.S. uniforms were designed by ralph lauren so I don't think its that bad.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #36 of 160
The opening ceremony went beyond my expectations.

I never like the aesthetics of Zhang Yi-Mou: in my mind he was an abuser of primary colors. So, it was a pleasant surprise when he did not try to overwhelm you with fields of colors, and instead presented you with actual scenes and people. The whole narrative was very coherent: you imagine the history of China unfolding like a paper scroll, forever rolling forwards.

The performers were disciplined beyond human capacities, and the costumes were genuinely beautiful (this cannot be said about Zhang Yi-Mou's own films). The Tai-Chi scene, the Globe scene, and the Printing scene were high points. As for the faux-pas: the Children Faces was very cliched, and how come the Chinese male singer comes on stage in T-shirt and denim, while Sarah Brightman was dressed in full evening gown by his side? And don't get me started on Lang Lang...

Music was very disappointing; and they said 17 composers were involved. And I must have heard Scotland the Brave more than 20 times during atheletes' entry.

All in all, I still prefer the Athens opening in 2004 -- it had a more natural narrative flow, and a seductively dreamy, personal atmosphere. It was truly a modern-day classic, very difficult to top -- but China still held out handsomely with her extravaganza.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #37 of 160
That is such a different take on Zhang YiMou. I think his films are breathtaking. Two of my favorite films in history are, "Raise the Red Lantern" and " Red Swargam." I just don't think film making gets any better than this. One of the greatest directors of all time.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #38 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Truly humanity at it's best. Too bad it is all tarnished by what is going on around the world. That's all I have to say.

Agreed,its really sad to see grown people act and fight like 8 year olds. Its really sad that people can't just work together.

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #40 of 160
I'm watching the opening ceremonies on NBC right now, and it's amazing, breathtaking, and so freaking bombastic!
Unfortunately, the commentators bring it down with inane and incredibly superficial analysis of sociopolitical symbolism that I'm pretty sure they're inventing.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #41 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm watching the opening ceremonies on NBC right now, and it's amazing, breathtaking, and so freaking bombastic!
Unfortunately, the commentators bring it down with inane and incredibly superficial analysis of sociopolitical symbolism that I'm pretty sure they're inventing.

You have no idea how much I want to slap duct tape over the commentator's mouths. I love the fireworks and considering they're the country who are the main producer of fireworks they put on an AWESOME show!

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #42 of 160
I am speechless after witnessing such a lavish & emotional opening ceremony - almost cried during initial countdown of the drummers.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #44 of 160
Anyone saw the firework during the singing? It was incredible that they could draw hundreds of smiley on the sky with firework!

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #45 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by 928GTS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have no idea how much I want to slap duct tape over the commentator's mouths. I love the fireworks and considering they're the country who are the main producer of fireworks they put on an AWESOME show!

You don't hear those same commentators talking about host city's politics during the Super Bowl. They need to just talk about the Games. People can get political commentary elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back