Olympic Games 2008 thread - Sports only!
Aug 13, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #76 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Russians had a very bad - two falls - beam rotation. That killed their medal hopes.

Ouch. almost as bad as breakdown of US in floor exercises and beams. Too bad I couldn't catch all the teams..

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #77 of 160
The only people who can stop the Phelps freight train now is Ryan Lochte in the 200 IM or Ian Crocker in the 100 Fly. But Lochte has to do 200 Backstroke about half an hour before the IM final, so he could be tired, but he gave Phelps a race with less time to rest at trials.

If Crocker goes under his world record that he set 3 years ago it could happen for him, and I really hope he wins, not to ruin Phelps quest, but because Crocker is a great guy.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #81 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That might well work.

he'll be there in 36 hours. I gave him a call
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #82 of 160
Quote:

I'll relish the day that it is confirmed the Chinese used underage gymnasts.

Is there an age minimum to participate in the olympics? The Brits have a 14 year old diver in their team, Tom Daley. I didn't get to watch him but I think he managed to get in the finals of 10m sychronized diving.

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #83 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there an age minimum to participate in the olympics? The Brits have a 14 year old diver in their team, Tom Daley. I didn't get to watch him but I think he managed to get in the finals of 10m sychronized diving.

That he did. He is also going in for the individual event as well.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #85 of 160
Quote:

I'll relish the day that it is confirmed the Chinese used underage gymnasts.

I don't know when this day is will occur. In other words, don't get your hopes up, even if they are underage. Plus, as good as the the Chinese women were, the U.S. had their shot. The door was wide open to draw even, or perhaps garner a small lead after the People's Republic finished on the beam. No-one's age encouraged Miss Sacromone to buckle under the suffocating pressure.

If it is not patently obvious already, China should be dominant in gymnastics for decades to come; a new Soviet Union (in terms of Olympic achievement - the USSR still holds the record for most gymnastic medals for both men and women) as it were. Shoot, they should dominate in so much more, as has also been demonstrated with diving and weightlifting, table tennis.... I have been following the medal count closely like many others. The U.S. has a chance to lead overall. I suspect this may be the last chance for a considerable period of time, barring an American Olympic site.

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #86 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For gymnastics, you must be 16 in the calendar year of the olympics to participate. Otherwise, they have to participate in "junior tournaments"

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #88 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the alleged underage Chinese gymnasts, check out this article about those who are making the charges. What a bunch of hypocrites!

Karolyis need to really keep their mouth shut...Not guilty until proven guilty. Very much sore losers indeed. Maybe they need to change the rules when other sports allow 14/15 year olds to participate on their tours.

Let's say these chinese girls were 14. So what! I still would NOT like to get my ass kicked by a little girls. Also give these girls some credit for what they've accomplished.

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #89 of 160
It's most likely correct that they are under 16. Xinhua, the Chinese national news agency, itself reported last year that one of the girls was 13 at that time: ͼÎÄ-µÚÁù½ì³ÇÔË»áÊ®´óÐÂÐÇ ºÎ¿ÉÐÀ´ò¶¯¹ú¼Ò¶Ó½ÌÍ·_×ÛºÏÌåÓý_NIKEÐÂÀ˾º¼¼·ç±©_ÐÂÀ ËÍø

I believe the reason they have this restrictive age limit is to prevent young girls from being trained too hard. But 14 year olds compete in junior tournaments so I don't see a huge difference here.

--

China broke Korea's 24 year hold on the women's archery gold medal today.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #90 of 160
I just watched a big, big win for James Blake over Roger Federer. James guaranteed himself a medal shot with that; just huge.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say these chinese girls were 14. So what!

If so, that is a distinct and unfair advantage in women's gymnastics. But yeah, I'm not big on the whining either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back