Olympic Games 2008 thread - Sports only!
Aug 22, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #151 of 160
Right on.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think his performance fits in with that creed either but nevertheless, what a runner!

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #152 of 160
genetic, i see your point. but a sportsman who is so far ahead of his competitors in a discipline where he can SEE how far ahead he is (unlike, say, swimming) is, in my opinion, entitled to a bit of show-off and early triumph.

that doesn't make him unprofessional in my book, just human.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #153 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
genetic, i see your point. but a sportsman who is so far ahead of his competitors in a discipline where he can SEE how far ahead he is (unlike, say, swimming) is, in my opinion, entitled to a bit of show-off and early triumph.

that doesn't make him unprofessional in my book, just human.

(WARNING: to the ones who dont like my posts there's a function in the Panel control: it's called the ignore list. Using this will likely upgrade your reading enjoyment and procure much less stress in your life. What I dont like about these threads, and the way they are choosing a life of their own, is that I (silly me) like to interact with the ones who are willing to quote what I just wrote. Without a doubt there is something I always do wrong (beside my poor English) since I rarely see others understanding the essence of what I'm thinking. I know, I know the fault is entirely mine...
biggrin.gif
)

Riordan,

You are 100% correct. (must choose my words with prudence here...
biggrin.gif
)

Did he had the right to show-off? Yes but this was in front of the biggest audience a runner can dream in his life. So a little moderation goes a long way. But this was not the biggest problem the way I saw it.

The business aspect was simply indecent to my eyes. One exemple that I did not mention earlier is the way he was showing his running shoes after the races. It was in itself a tasteless marketing display. For others maybe they ran buying these but not me.

Amicalement

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #154 of 160
Just saw the 4x100 relay in the stadium although the pole vault final was probably even more exciting. Definitely a good day.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #155 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The business aspect was simply indecent to my eyes. One exemple that I did not mention earlier is the way he was showing his running shoes after the races. It was in itself a tasteless marketing display. For others maybe they ran buying these but not me.

Indecent? Probably. Tasteless? Maybe. Useful? Sure is.

I like to share your view on his act, but the fact that his act will assure him a future sponsorship is probably more important to him than to your or my view. Consider that the cost for training one U.S. athlete might be more than enough for training a whole team in many third world countries, can we disregard how sponsorship can make or break athletes? To Bolt, this could well be the best thing he could do to further his career. I don't like how big brand infiltrate sport's world, but they have positives that can't be disregarded as well.

Aug 22, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #157 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...)
Consider that the cost for training one U.S. athlete might be more than enough for training a whole team in many third world countries, can we disregard how sponsorship can make or break athletes? To Bolt, this could well be the best thing he could do to further his career.
(...)

I'm open to the economical aspect for athletes comming from third world countries. But before some Jamaican Ladies reduced their outfit in pieces showing that they are sponsored by Victoria Secrets there should be a limit to these manifestations....
wink.gif

OK the olympic stadium is now under Bob Marley spellbound and I'm all for it.

Amicalement

Aug 22, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #158 of 160
Quote:

...But before some Jamaican Ladies reduced their outfit in pieces showing that they are sponsored by Victoria Secrets there should be a limit to these manifestations....
wink.gif

That reminds me an interview on a female athletes (I think she is beach volleyball player) commenting why they like to wear bikini for the event. I remember she said she would have prefer not wearing anything but the are rules in place. I guess Victoria Secrets could work well here
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #160 of 160
Quote:

Just as I was beginning to be more open to the new realities of the modern Olympics...
icon10.gif

Well, at least that will be his last kick as an athlete. Last I heard, he is banned for life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back